Winter Tyres/Wheels Recommendation

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Winter Tyres/Wheels Recommendation

Post by alexdm » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:17 pm

msej449 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:23 pm

I opted for the S3s as the car goes to the Alps in the winter and so I'm almost certain to hit snow/slush. The S3s are better in snow than the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie-II but the Serie-II is probably better in warmer, non-snow winter conditions, in terms of handling.
Given my recent experience with the Sottozero Serie II, I would avoid. Yes they are reasonable in the dry, but not great in the snow. My tyres rubber prematurely hardened and I have had to replace them after just 2.5 years (yes stored correctly). They were ok in year 1, but were almost as bad as my summer tyres in the most recent snow. I just went for a square setup on Continental 850P tyres as a replacement.
White m235i Auto with black grilles, pro nav, adaptive, HK, voodoo headlights + some other bits & bobs! :)

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:43 am

This is puzzling and not been my experience in three Alpine winters on the Serie-II, so I think that you've probably been unfortunate with your particular tyres. Either there's a build issue (which happens) or some storage quirk. I was able to hill-start my 330d on new snow with no problems with Serie-IIs. If they've hardened then that's certainly odd. And one of their virtues is that they should be excellent in dry/warmer conditions, so again, odd.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

deanflyer
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by deanflyer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks for the info, just back off our holidays. I had Nokians on a previous Saab which were very good. Off now to find out the order status of the new car.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”