Another tyre thread... a little different

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Dace64
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Another tyre thread... a little different

Post by Dace64 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:43 am

I had RFT Potenzas on my 335D. The fronts lasted 52,000 miles and I did three track days on them too! Rears needed replacing after 20,000, however I rated them.
F20 M140i SE

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Well i've gone for the climatecontrol+'s for now, booked in for Thursday, I've made up my mind the potenzas are going and if the climatecontrol+ 's live up to their billing then it will be a marked step up for the majority of the time I am driving it. I can now start looking at new wheels and consider something really sticky for the summer.

I shall update the thread once I have got them in place and let you know how they feel

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Ok so Black Circles + me = Fail - It would seem that the climatecontrol+ tyres are not made in appropriate sizes for the M140i. The closest they have are 225/40/18 Y which is also what come up on their system for being the right tyres for my car and reg. Their premier partner refused to fit the tyres are they will only replace tyres with exactly the same sized tyres, so 245/35/18 Y for the rears, 225/40/18 Y for the fronts.

Does anyone have any actual experience of running these on the OEM wheels ? they appear to manufacturer a 245/45/18 but again the tyre shop was not happy replacing them with that size.

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by AJ_ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:36 pm

G0tcha wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:24 pm
Ok so Black Circles + me = Fail - It would seem that the climatecontrol+ tyres are not made in appropriate sizes for the M140i. The closest they have are 225/40/18 Y which is also what come up on their system for being the right tyres for my car and reg. Their premier partner refused to fit the tyres are they will only replace tyres with exactly the same sized tyres, so 245/35/18 Y for the rears, 225/40/18 Y for the fronts.

Does anyone have any actual experience of running these on the OEM wheels ? they appear to manufacturer a 245/45/18 but again the tyre shop was not happy replacing them with that size.
Interesting, in the next few days I was going to place an order on Blackcircles for the CC+ 225/40R18Y to fit on the OEM 461M (7.5J & 8J) rims. These are the same size tyres BMW recommend you fit to the 461M alloys for winter use, but a few people do seem to have this problem with garages.
F20 LCI 116d M Sport (Estoril Blue)

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm

I did suggest that they were the BMW sizing recommendations for winter tyres but BlackCircles (and possibly other places too) have a policy where they will only replace like for like tyre sizes from what the car roles in on, full stop. Bellfields Auto the premier centre in question also suggested it was not safe to use that tyre on that rim size. I would suggest calling ahead of the booking and see what sense you can get out of them. If you follow the normal process as I did, it will likely be rejected by your chosen garage.

More research required....

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by AJ_ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:15 pm

G0tcha wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm
I did suggest that they were the BMW sizing recommendations for winter tyres but BlackCircles (and possibly other places too) have a policy where they will only replace like for like tyre sizes from what the car roles in on, full stop. Bellfields Auto the premier centre in question also suggested it was not safe to use that tyre on that rim size. I would suggest calling ahead of the booking and see what sense you can get out of them. If you follow the normal process as I did, it will likely be rejected by your chosen garage.

More research required....
Agreed, crazy! I was going to use an ATS garage for fitting when ordered through Black Circles. Perhaps i'll order direct through ATS, if they would indeed fit them.

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 pm

So this keeps on being simple !! the wheel size on the std car is not well covered by the best rubber out there (lots of options for mid range stuff). The CC+'s not many will fit, I have not approached BMW but last check they wanted at least £100 per corner more than the wider market, so an expensive choice.

The new pilot sport 4's are supposed to be great all rounders but not available for our wheels..... looking at the std sizes and bearing in mind that I want to improve on the run flat potenza's cold / wet weather performance but not have them feel like remoulds in the dry. It looks like going for F1 Asymmetric 3's or the Pilot sport 2's (the PS3's seem to not review as well). I have some experience in the F1's and this thread suggests they are good to circa 1c which is way better than I have now but have never tried the PS2's. Any thoughts or other tyre options to consider ?

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by AJ_ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 pm

The PS4’s are available in the right sizes for the OEM wheels on an M140i. Front 225/40 R18 Y (92) Rear: 245/35 R18 Y (92). BlackCircles are doing £40 of a set of 4 at the moment.

I’m not using the car as much at the moment but I will be fitting new boots soon, if I can’t get ATS to do CrossClimate+ on the OEM wheels, I will fit Michelin PS4/Goodyear Asym 3’s in the OEM sizes and hopefully pick up some winter alloys and tyres for a good price during the summer.

AJ

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:34 pm

So they do :thumbs: albeit in the 245 rear only, I will ask if they will fit them for me in light of the current 235 rears and my experience with the last set of tyres !

I will see if they cure the issue and if not go back to the cross climates+ on some new to me wheels and keep the PS4's as summers.

M-140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by M-140i » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:33 pm

My integrist point of vue...

I'm so happy to have kept the summer tyres on my car !
I live in Belgium and the winter is the same, or a bit colder at times. I don't want to put winter tyres for 1 or 2 snowy days. But I have to admit that I have the chance to stay at home if the weather turns bad.
By the way, today, 14°C at 6 PM...

Good (in the Rain) summer tyre all the way.
_________________________ Image140ix__________________________

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:57 am

A lovely part of the world too, I am not so sure I would like to be collared for speeding by the police I have met out there :starwars: Sounds ominous but my experiences are in a professional capacity but I knew Ghent quite well :)

Thanks for your views, I was interested in the CC+s and would have tried them if the garage would have fitted them but I have never thought about doing so before hand (I think the fact we had just had 3 weeks plus of <5c weather which is more than enough to make the run flats feel like they are coated in grease, may have been refocusing my thoughts), the reviews on wider all seasons seem too restrictive in the dry - so I'm back with you, for the SE of the UK decent wet performing summers and a degree of restraint when it gets.

I have spoken to the fitters and they are happy to put on the 245's with some caveats, that being its on my head and its not their recommended size. So it looks like the Mich PS4's will be the new boots.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:01 am

Slightly confused, as 245's are the correct rear tyre size?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:05 am

The OEM tyre size for the rears on run flats is 235/35/18 supplied with potenza's - The MPS non run flat is 245/35/18 :)

I took an existing build slot and was too late to change the run flat option, probably a moot point to make for those with a Mlite already but avoid the potenza runflats.. They are average at best and down right dangerous in the cold.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 am

G0tcha wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:05 am
The OEM tyre size for the rears on run flats is 235/35/18 supplied with potenza's - The MPS non run flat is 245/35/18 :)

I took an existing build slot and was too late to change the run flat option, probably a moot point to make for those with a Mlite already but avoid the potenza runflats.. They are average at best and down right dangerous in the cold.
Is this a brand new thing? They were always delivered with 245/35 Runcraps, until your car? :?

This is the pressure plaque from a recent M140i, no 235/35 on there:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 6122218771

Anyone else had their car delivered with 235/35/18 on the back?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Interesting, I'm no expert but it certainly came from a main stealer on 235's ! anyone else indeed ?

I have the PS4's being fitted tomorrow with the 245 rears but the 235 issue I may pick up with the main dealer, I shall also check my pressure plaque, its an early 140 if that makes a difference, sept 16.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”