Another M135i offset question

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Post Reply
LondonMark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm
Location: London

Another M135i offset question

Post by LondonMark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi everyone

I'm confused! :? Many of the wheels being sold online as compatible for the M135i have an offset that would mean they'll poke out from the bodywork.

I've measure the gap between my stock wheels/tyres and the wheel arch using a straight edge and tape measure, the remaining gap before the tyre would be flush with the bodywork is 15mm. In my mind, this means any new wheel with a offset that extends the stock wheel by more than 15mm would give me problems with hitting or rubbing the wheel arches, especially as I plan to have the Motech-Eibach 25/20mm lowering springs fitted. Am I correct?

If anyone in the "know" can shed some light on this, it'd be much appreciated.

I’ve been using this offset calculator to see the difference between stock and new new wheels. http://www.willtheyfit.com

Cheers, Mark :spotman:

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 50574
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Lots of unscrupulous sellers will list 3er wheels, and claim they fit the 1er with it's narrower body too.

Willtheyfit is a good website, although it's figues don't take tyre position into account (only wheel position), but theoretical tyre position is shown on the diagram. You could in theory fit some daft wheels, and then stretch some BMX tyres on them and not get contact.

If in doubt, please ask, we're happy to help. Just let us know what sort of fitment you want, which width tyres, and we'll do our best to give you sensible advice. :thumbs:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 8385
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 am

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

LondonMark wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:27 pm
Hi everyone

I'm confused! :? Many of the wheels being sold online as compatible for the M135i have an offset that would mean they'll poke out from the bodywork.

I've measure the gap between my stock wheels/tyres and the wheel arch using a straight edge and tape measure, the remaining gap before the tyre would be flush with the bodywork is 15mm. In my mind, this means any new wheel with a offset that extends the stock wheel by more than 15mm would give me problems with hitting or rubbing the wheel arches, especially as I plan to have the Motech-Eibach 25/20mm lowering springs fitted. Am I correct?

If anyone in the "know" can shed some light on this, it'd be much appreciated.

I’ve been using this offset calculator to see the difference between stock and new new wheels. http://www.willtheyfit.com

Cheers, Mark :spotman:
Mark

I ran F3x OE style 397’s with OE 225/245 tyres, lowered springs and longer F8x lower front arms wo any issues.

Image

Image

BP
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

LondonMark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm
Location: London

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by LondonMark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm
Lots of unscrupulous sellers will list 3er wheels, and claim they fit the 1er with it's narrower body too.

Willtheyfit is a good website, although it's figues don't take tyre position into account (only wheel position), but theoretical tyre position is shown on the diagram. You could in theory fit some daft wheels, and then stretch some BMX tyres on them and not get contact.

If in doubt, please ask, we're happy to help. Just let us know what sort of fitment you want, which width tyres, and we'll do our best to give you sensible advice. :thumbs:
Hi marco polo, thanks for your reply.

The wheels I'm after are; front 19" 8J ET38 (extra 13.4mm poke), rear 19" 9J ET42 (extra 22.7mm poke). I was thinking of going for the 8J all round just to be safe, although I would prefer the wider wheels so I can have 255 tyres on the 9J wheels.

Re; "willtheyfit site measures the wheel difference". Wouldn't the tyre distance just follow the line of the wheel difference. (if you know what I mean!)

Link to the wheels.
http://www.bmautosport.co.uk/showroom/p ... 154_25_204

Given the figures, what do you think? Also on tyre width?

Many thanks, Mark :D

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 50574
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:05 pm

LondonMark wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm
Wouldn't the tyre distance just follow the line of the wheel difference. (if you know what I mean!)
If you're comparing 245's with 245's, yes they will 'follow the line of the wheel difference' (ignoring stretch). If you add different width tyres into the mix, no, 'willtheyfit' wheel figures alone aren't accurate.

For your rear example, the new wheel have 22.7mm more poke, but the tyre will have almost 28mm more poke than standard. We're getting a long way past your original 15mm gap measurement!

Fronts will be fine.

I usually consider ET44 to be the minimum for 255mm tyres, but you could probably find a couple of mm of 'tuck' (extra camber added) by having the eccentrics adjusted on a hunter rig.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

LondonMark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm
Location: London

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by LondonMark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm
LondonMark wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:27 pm
Hi everyone

I'm confused! :? Many of the wheels being sold online as compatible for the M135i have an offset that would mean they'll poke out from the bodywork.

I've measure the gap between my stock wheels/tyres and the wheel arch using a straight edge and tape measure, the remaining gap before the tyre would be flush with the bodywork is 15mm. In my mind, this means any new wheel with a offset that extends the stock wheel by more than 15mm would give me problems with hitting or rubbing the wheel arches, especially as I plan to have the Motech-Eibach 25/20mm lowering springs fitted. Am I correct?

If anyone in the "know" can shed some light on this, it'd be much appreciated.

I’ve been using this offset calculator to see the difference between stock and new new wheels. http://www.willtheyfit.com

Cheers, Mark :spotman:
Mark

I ran F3x OE style 397’s with OE 225/245 tyres, lowered springs and longer F8x lower front arms wo any issues.

BP

Hi BP, thanks for the reply.

Did the wheels or tyres protrude the bodywork at all? If not, how much gap was left with the 397's on?

Cheers, Mark :D

LondonMark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm
Location: London

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by LondonMark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:05 pm
LondonMark wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm
Wouldn't the tyre distance just follow the line of the wheel difference. (if you know what I mean!)
If you're comparing 245's with 245's, yes they will 'follow the line of the wheel difference' (ignoring stretch). If you add different width tyres into the mix, no, 'willtheyfit' wheel figures alone aren't accurate.

For your rear example, the new wheel have 22.7mm more poke, but the tyre will have almost 28mm more poke than standard. We're getting a long way past your original 15mm gap measurement!

Fronts will be fine.


I usually consider ET44 to be the minimum for 255mm tyres, but you could probably find a couple of mm of 'tuck' (extra camber added) by having the eccentrics adjusted on a hunter rig.
Without having stretched tyres or tweaking other parts, it's looking like the best way to go is 8J all round. This set-up would give the front an extra 13.4mm poke, and the rear an extra 14mm poke, with 235 tyres on the front, and 245 on the rear. Does this sound like a safe option?

Cheers :D

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 50574
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 pm

A 235 front is a weird option, what profile were you thinking of?

I would (I did) go 245/35/18 all round.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 8385
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 am

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 pm

LondonMark wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 pm
Hi BP, thanks for the reply.

Did the wheels or tyres protrude the bodywork at all? If not, how much gap was left with the 397's on?

Cheers, Mark :D
Mark

This B.B. thread shows some photos of my lowered car Grey with 397’s and another blue m135i owner who opted for silver 397’s on std suspension

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=67036&hilit=Style+397s

BP
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 8385
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 am

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 pm

LondonMark wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Without having stretched tyres or tweaking other parts, it's looking like the best way to go is 8J all round. This set-up would give the front an extra 13.4mm poke, and the rear an extra 14mm poke, with 235 tyres on the front, and 245 on the rear. Does this sound like a safe option?

Cheers :D
Mark

This B.B. thread shows my car c/w style 397’s before and after fitting M4 LCAs - based on NSF and OSF before photos ie standard m135i lower control arms - 245/35/18 MPSS would fit up front wo any clearance issues.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=69818&p=916633&hilit=Flush#p916633

BP
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

LondonMark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm
Location: London

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by LondonMark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am

marco_polo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 pm
A 235 front is a weird option, what profile were you thinking of?

I would (I did) go 245/35 /18 all round.
I was thinking front 235/35/19. Will a 245/30 fit in the arch ok?

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 50574
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am

235/35 is quite tall compared to a 245/30, iirc? On my phone right now so can't easily check myself, I'm just concerned it would look like a penny-farthing?

EDIT: 235/35 fronts would be around 18mm bigger than the 245/30 rears.

245/30/19 will fit nicely as long as you're on standard wishbones.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

LondonMark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm
Location: London

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by LondonMark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:49 am

marco_polo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am
235/35 is quite tall compared to a 245/30, iirc? On my phone right now so can't easily check myself, I'm just concerned it would look like a penny-farthing?

EDIT: 235/35 fronts would be around 18mm bigger than the 245/30 rears.

245/30/19 will fit nicely as long as you're on standard wishbones.

Aha, 245 width is possible on the front then? I was just thinking a 225 to 245 jump maybe too wide for the arch. Was there any pros or cons with ride or handling having 245’s up front? :P

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 50574
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Another M135i offset question

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 am

I'm running 245's on the front (standard BMW front width on the M2). They easily fit under the whopping F20 front arches as long as the wheel offset is sensible.

They give you less understeer, less weird shoulder wear, and are much less likely to overheat during repeated heavy braking (stock 225's melt). The downside is they're not so clever over deep standing water, so you need to be mindful of big puddles during downpours.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Post Reply

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”