How to store wheels in garden???

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

Baza

How to store wheels in garden???

Post by Baza » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi All,

New member with a recently bought E87 LCI 116i with skates instead of tyres :D

Was thinking of getting a set of winter wheels for any further ice/snow and next autumn. Only problem is I don't have anywhere to store them apart from the back garden ( no garage or shed). Was thinking of wrapping each wheel in bin liners and storing them 2x2 near the wall. Is this asking for future trouble? Any advice/suggestions more than welcome.

Baz

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: How to store wheels in garden???

Post by Nottsknots » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Storing outside in itself wont be a problem - thats where most car tyre/wheels are most of the time amyway.

However, UV light is the enemy of rubber; bin bags wont last long (and yes, we do get lots of UV, even over winter, and especially in summer). You'd be better off covering then in a polyethelene tarp.

Also, try to keep them off the ground; damp and concrete will leach things into and out of the rubber that really messes with the compund over several months.

You might be better off with one of those small tool "sheds"; plastic garden things from diy shops. Not too small though, tyres are surprisingly big when it comes to putting them in things.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Baza

Post by Baza » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks Nottsknots.

Good shout on a outdoor storage box/mini shed. Will have a look at widths for those.

Any ideas of the total diameter of a 17 inch alloy (256) with fully inflated 205/50 tyres?

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:39 pm
Storing outside in itself wont be a problem - thats where most car tyre/wheels are most of the time amyway.

However, UV light is the enemy of rubber; bin bags wont last long (and yes, we do get lots of UV, even over winter, and especially in summer). You'd be better off covering then in a polyethelene tarp.

Also, try to keep them off the ground; damp and concrete will leach things into and out of the rubber that really messes with the compund over several months.

You might be better off with one of those small tool "sheds"; plastic garden things from diy shops. Not too small though, tyres are surprisingly big when it comes to putting them in things.
That reminds me! Must get mine off the garage floor. No pun intended OP. Do you think they would eventually flat spot if left under their own weight?

In reply to your question baza re diameter 23 inches can't be far off. Can measure tmrw if you want it exact .

Oh and welcome :fest:
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines -pro hu - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake - roof spoiler. Now with added 313 goodness and other bits and bobs.

Baza

Post by Baza » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks pem10.

No need to measure yours mate.

I'm sure 25 inches is more than enough :lol:

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:32 pm

pem10 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm
Do you think they would eventually flat spot if left under their own weight?
Since Apple just lost my longer answer, heres the short version.

Yes. I tried it once for a couple of months, and my tyre fitter noticed, unprompted. The wheels sounded like I had worn bearings for a couple of thousand miles.

Store horizontally and theres nothing to deform as its equal pressure around the circumference; some invest in a wheel rack (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-STR005- ... re+racking), mine are on a pallet, covered in corrogated card, covered in acid free paper from my dry cleaner. Others have theirs wall mounted (out of the way, and can look pretty cool in the right setting) no deformation that way either).

And just to conclude my post; I HATE FU<€!NG APPLE, THIS IPAD IS GETTING WORSE WITH EVERY UPDATE. APPLE IS THE NEW MICROSOFT (amd thats not a good thing). Rant over. Happier now.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:32 pm
pem10 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm
Do you think they would eventually flat spot if left under their own weight?
Since Apple just lost my longer answer, heres the short version.

Yes. I tried it once for a couple of months, and my tyre fitter noticed, unprompted. The wheels sounded like I had worn bearings for a couple of thousand miles.

Store horizontally and theres nothing to deform as its equal pressure around the circumference; some invest in a wheel rack (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-STR005- ... re+racking), mine are on a pallet, covered in corrogated card, covered in acid free paper from my dry cleaner. Others have theirs wall mounted (out of the way, and can look pretty cool in the right setting) no deformation that way either).

And just to conclude my post; I HATE FU<€!NG APPLE, THIS IPAD IS GETTING WORSE WITH EVERY UPDATE. APPLE IS THE NEW MICROSOFT (amd thats not a good thing). Rant over. Happier now.
Cool wheel rack. Will feel like a F 1 mechanic wheeling that up and down my drive :lol: Tyres are stored flat at the moment but only covered in a towel! Could nick a pallet from work which would help getting them off the cold concrete.
Plus don't know why I didn't think of it but I've got 4 wheel boxes from jonwilli s old wheels sat in there taking up space :banghead:
Don't see me refitting them any time soon.

Thanks for the advice.
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines -pro hu - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake - roof spoiler. Now with added 313 goodness and other bits and bobs.

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 pm

I got these brackets to store my unused set on the garage wall. They are now £14.67 a set of four, off eBay (see below). These have two wall screws per bracket, as opposed to cheaper ones which have just one (not sure it's important, but my wheels aren't light!) The brackets come with a thick rubber piece for the hub to sit on (not shown) which I've supplemented with a short piece cut from some leftover foam pipe insulation.

And with the wheels in place:

I assume that you could fit these to an external wall and then cover them a bit to limit corrosion.

See: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Wall-Rack ... Swg8taMmdH

There are also longer versions on eBay which I assume are so you can store them with the surface of the wheel facing outwards. I chose the shorter ones and this way of hanging the wheels because it seemed to me it would be less stress on the screw-bolts - my walls are quite old (100yrs+).
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

Baza

Post by Baza » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks msej449

That looks pretty cool on an internal wall/garage. Not sure advertising 'free wheels' for the local scrotes would be a good idea for me :lol:

Been looking at large garden storage boxes which will probably work.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”