Baby BMW Forum banner

Pothole and bent wheel

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  m20b25 
#1 ·
Received a phone call the other night from my better half saying she'd gone down a pothole and the tyre had burst.

Despite raging inside, I'm staying calm but I now need a new tyre and the wheel has a flat spot so I'll need a new one. Total is around £500 from bmw!

Is it worth pursuing with the council? The pothole was on a country road full of potholes and it was submerged. Putting a wanted ad up for a wheel now

Edit- can't do a wanted ad apparently.

Update: both n/s wheels knackered.

It looks like there has been a previous repair to the hole

See less See more
#3 ·
Deffo go to the council! it can be a nightmare trying to get them to take responsibility for the damage. Get plenty of photos and keep all receipts / scan them and send them over to the council.

The only way councils will start taking potholes seriously is if everyone starts trying to claim for damage. Once they see all the money in compensation they are paying.... they will so fix the actual cause.

#4 ·
Check the council website, it may give more info.

On the Essex website is states to claim you need to provide evidence that, at the time of the incident:
a defect existed on a road or pavement maintained by us
the defect is one that would be considered to be dangerous
the defect was the direct cause of the incident or injury, and that you have suffered a loss

They can 'get out of it' by stating that the pot hole hadn't been made aware to them, and so they had no way of repairing something they weren't aware of and therefore are not negligent.

A photo of the road in general (if badly maintained) along with the specific pot hole and damage (as many as possible, as mentioned above) should all help.

This is where dashcam footage also helps if you have one.

#9 ·
Thanks all- won't bother if it's going to be a mission

I know 3 other people who have hit the same one. It's unbelieveable that councils get away with this. It's on a country's road which is always used by tracktors

Also loads of reports of it on that website

#11 ·
m20b25 said:
Thanks all- won't bother if it's going to be a mission

I know 3 other people who have hit the same one. It's unbelieveable that councils get away with this. It's on a country's road which is always used by tracktors

Also loads of reports of it on that website
that attitude is the exact reason they get away with it. people cant be arsed to put the effort in, so the council/government just walks all over us.

And not just about pot holes either.

#13 ·
CraigG said:
that attitude is the exact reason they get away with it. people cant be arsed to put the effort in, so the council/government just walks all over us.

And not just about pot holes either.
Agree, if those other people had also reported it, then the is increased pressure for them to repair it.

If only the odd person claims, it's probably cheaper for them to pay the odd compensation than actually do anything about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.