Baby BMW Forum banner

Tyre Pressures

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Menace 
#1 ·
Chaps,
2 questions for u....

1. Upon switching to non RFTs, how much are your tyre pressure sensors out by? e.g. when i have the tyres at 33 psi, the sensors show approx 31 on the idrive.

2. Today my car was serviced and upon the garage ringing me to let me know that it was ready, they told me, in there opinion, all 4 tyres were very under inflated. I had them all at 33 psi a few days ago so there wouldnt be much difference. They further informed me that they had pumped them to the correct pressure. Intigued to see what pressure they were now at i looked up the idrive and saw this:

Any thoughts??? Based on the slight difference of 2 psi that my sensors show, is this just silly pressures?

Goodyear Asymmetrics 3s all round.

#2 ·
What the actual feck?! If that's accurate, that's both bonkers and rather dangerous. What does the max pressure on the tyre say, 50psi? If they've genuinely put 54/55psi in them, your rears could be fit for the bin now. :( If they've gone over the maximum, I'd definitely be suing them for negligence.

My sensors aren't 100% accurate, they usually read 1 or 2 psi low, same as most peoples. Tyre type makes zero difference. I guess they have to have a small margin of safety. I would be running them at 34/35psi all round.

#6 ·
marco_polo said:
I wonder if some retard has pumped them up to 2.9 Bar and 3.7 Bar, instead of 29psi and 37psi ? :?

54psi has genuinely pissed me right off, can you name and shame these douche-nozzles please. :evil:
My confusion quickly changed to anger to Marco. It was SVS Auto Center in Motherwell. I couldn't quite believe it when I saw that. They were just closing when I left so I think a phone call is in order tommorow to discuss the utter incompetence.

To make it worse, they guy running the garage is the one who did it and constantly makes out he is the oracle of all things motorised.

#9 ·
marco_polo said:
Have they killed your rear tyres? What is the maximum pressure, embossed on the tyre wall?

Have you spoken to Goodyear to see if they're still safe? - They're usually very helpful.
The maximum is 50 psi.

It appears they have survived....A thorough inspection hasnt revealed any external damage and the ride, now that the pressure has been set correctly, is no different so fingers crossed.

I did contact Goodyear however they couldnt commit to saying anything either way. A bit useless to be honest.

I contacted the garage today and left them with no illusion as to what I think of there workmanship and that they will be liable for 4 new tyres if i discover any damage. Tbf they seemed accepting of that and apologised.

Whilst on the phone they confirmed that the 'technician' had used the wrong tyre pressure machine which was faulty, uncalibrated and had been replaced.

#12 ·
marco_polo said:
HN1989x said:
That is horrendous. You should get something in writing just in case you do discover some damage later on down the line!
Agreed.

I wouldn't want those on my car, especially if Goodyear won't 100% guarantee they're still safe.
I can appreciate Goodyears position, theres no way on earth they would state either way. They would daft if they did! Every tyre has different variances twinned with the fact they have mileage on them.

Im taking the car back to the garage tommorow to discuss it (get it in writing) but Im satisfied just now that the tyres are fine.

#15 ·
Everything sorted.

Owner of garage has agreed he is liable for any damage however I've had them inspected and found to have incurred none. Think I was lucky seeing it soo quickly -
tyres never got hot before the pressures were rectified.

Can you imagine if it was a cheap and nasty budget tyre that had been over inflated soo much?!?!

Would probably have blew up in his face 😂

#17 ·
Just had four new MPS4 fitted - wheels were dropped off loose with new rubber to simply switch over. When I got them back one front was 28psi whilst the other front was closer to 42psi. Obviously pumped up til they where hard. Not a single mark on the rims though so all good there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.