Baby BMW Forum banner

Can anyone help me find some alloys please....

1K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  GMballistic 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Really didn't want to write this thread but I'm looking for some help please or a push in the right direction regarding some alloys. :)

In the future I'd like to change my alloy wheels on my 2012 M135i in order to increase traction on the road (I know tyres play a major part as well as suspension components of course), give the car a wider stance and so that the car looks more like I want it too.

I already have a good idea of the size of alloy wheel/tyre combination that I'd like but am struggling to find alloys in the style I like. The style of alloy I like is 5 or preferably 6 spoke alloys with some dish to them, especially on the rear.
I used to run "Rota Grid Drifts" on my old 350Z in 19" which had 245's on the front and massive 275's on the back so the rear had a nice wide stance (pic below).

After reading as much as I could and reading what others have done (like Sootyvrs) I would like to go for this alloy/tyre combo if possible on my M135i.
Front: 245/35/18 ~ 18"x8J
Rear: 265/35/18 ~ 18"x9J

According to what Sootyvrs ran on his the fronts had an offset of ET35 with a 5mm spacer and the rears were ET50.
Link:
So what I'm asking is firstly from the above info does anyone have any suggestions of alloys that meet that criteria/sizes/style please?
Anything I'm missing which is blindingly obvious to those of you with more experience than myself? (pitfalls etc)

Also regarding the offsets if I'm correct in thinking that if I found some front alloys which were ET40 (18"x8J) then I wouldn't need a 5mm spacer like Sootyvrs used what would be the maximum recommended for spacers in order to get alloys to fit?
Personally I've never used spacers and was recommended against them on previous cars when tracking them.

Oh and so I don't waste anyones time budget wise I'd say £1500 max for the alloys (x4) if not less tbh. Thank you for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Iirc, Dave's front wheels were 8J ET45, which he made ET35 with a 10mm spacer. He then reduced the spacer to a 5mm to make them ET40?

You're going to struggle to find any wheel with lots of dish, as the rear hubs poke out a long way and the rear callipers are wide. Our cars just don't have the wide rear arches of your Z.

#3 ·
How about Oz Alleggerita in 18x8.5 ET40? They're top quality, forged (important), lightweight wheels which show a tiny bit of barrel? They won't take a 265mm rear tyre though, you'd need ET49+ to have a chance, or ET44+ for 255mm.

You can see the issue the very wide rear brakes and very narrow arches cause above.

#4 ·
marco_polo said:
You're going to struggle to find any wheel with lots of dish, as the rear hubs poke out a long way and the rear callipers are wide. Our cars just don't have the wide rear arches of your Z.
Firstly thank you very much for the reply Marco. :wink:

I get what you mean about the arches issue and can see in the picture you posted about the wide rear brakes as you mention below.

marco_polo said:
How about Oz Alleggerita in 18x8.5 ET40? They're top quality, forged (important), lightweight wheels which show a tiny bit of barrel? They won't take a 265mm rear tyre though, you'd need ET49+ to have a chance, or ET44+ for 255mm.

You can see the issue the very wide rear brakes and very narrow arches cause above.
I know Oz are good quality but I'm not a big fan of "multi spoke" alloys, ...much prefer just 5 to 6 spokes ideally. I spotted the Oz "Chrono" alloys which look fairly good but not sure if they still make them looking around.

Just spotted these alloys made by Bola called "B1".

Spec: Width : 8.5J (Front) & 9.5J (Rear)
Diameter : 18 Inch
Bolt Pattern : Most 5 Stud Fitments
Offset : ET30-45 (Front) & ET30-45 (Rear)

Seems like they'd fit but not 100% sold on the shape and I've no idea about whether Bola alloys are a reputable brand. Wouldn't want an alloy to sheer under hard driving. :|

Another alloy wheel I like the design of is the Rota GTR.

Spec: Width : 8J (Front) & 9.5J (Rear)
Diameter : 18 Inch
Bolt Pattern : Most 5 Stud Fitments
Offset : Various (Front) & Various (Rear)

Now I understand Rota alloys aren't everyones cup of tea but I had no problems with my previous set on my 350Z which was supercharged (436Bhp) and driven hard at times (on Castle Combe specifically).

Any thoughts on the above or more suggestions please.

#6 ·
marco_polo said:
9.5"J is very wide for the back of a 1er, I think you'll have to adjust your expectations a little.

Sooty's rears were 9J ET50 and only just fitted, 9.5J and ET45 isn't going to fit nicely, imo. 26mm wider than standard!
Okay thanks.
I'm definitely open to suggestions from people with more knowledge than myself about what fits the M135i...

So if I said I'd like 245 wide front tyres and 265 wide rears (if possible) then what size/offset alloys do you believe I should be looking at?

Bearing in mind I don't really want any stretch on my tyres as I prefer them to look fat and if possible protect the rim edge slightly.
Sorry to be a PITA. :rollseyes: Thanks.

#8 ·
marco_polo said:
Fronts: 8J or 8.5J at ET40, fitted with 245/35/18

Rears 9J ET44+, fitted with 255/35/18

. or , 9J ET50+ fitted with 265/35/18
. or 9.5J ET55+ fitted with 265/35/18. I don't think this wheel size is very common though?
Thanks for that, :thumbs: ...pretty much come back full circle to what Sootyvrs did then. :lol2: :wink:

Strange that there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice of alloys for the 1 series or is that just me??

#10 ·
marco_polo said:
Very narrow rear arches means we need massive offsets, which really limits choice. Most cars are happy with ET30-ish, but not ours.
Yes I think I'm finding this out. :D

I'm not in a hurry but just want to find a set of alloys I like before the tyres need changing.
Even though mines an early car I've got TPMS so whatever alloys I buy I will end up buying tyres separately anyway so that I can have the valves swapped over.

@All ~ any suggestions for 5 to 6 spoke alloys meeting the above criteria (sizes as mentioned by MP) gratefully received.

#11 ·
Four Rota Grid Van 18 x 8.5" ET45 might work for you, 245/35 on the front and 255/35 on the back? I'd expect to need a 3mm-5mm front spacer to clear the struts though.

Four Bola B1 in 18 x 8.5" might be a better choice as they seem to be quite configurable (on the Demon Tweeks website anyway). You could go for ET40 fronts with 245/35 (to avoid the need for a spacer), and ET44 rears (to squeeze a 255/35/18 on).

#12 ·
marco_polo said:
Four Rota Grid Van 18 x 8.5" ET45 might work for you, 245/35 on the front and 255/35 on the back? I'd expect to need a 3mm-5mm front spacer to clear the struts though.

Four Bola B1 in 18 x 8.5" might be a better choice as they seem to be quite configurable (on the Demon Tweeks website anyway). You could go for ET40 fronts with 245/35 (to avoid the need for a spacer), and ET44 rears (to squeeze a 255/35/18 on).
Thanks Marco.
I think looking at those two suggestions I'm leaning more towards the Bola B1 purely on the looks front.

With the rears though being an 18x8.5J and ET44 why do you say "squeeze a 255/35/18 on"?

Is it going to be really fat? Cause I'd like that. :D :wink:

Oh and why ET44 rears and not ET45 as I noticed they do them?
I always forget which way round it goes, ...45's would bring them in towards the inner arch and potentially hitting the strut would it?

#13 ·
Yeah, I prefer the Bola's, if only because they're so configurable. ET44 rear would make them nice and stanced without hitting the arch, you could probably push it to ET43? Go ET45 on the back if you want to have the extra 1 or 2mm breathing room, I was just going for a nice wide look for you.

The bigger the ET the closer they are to the strut. The smaller the ET, the more likely they are to rub/poke out the sides.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the info so far Marco. :thumbs:

Still got time to shop around before I need to make a solid decision though but I think I'm sold on the Bola B1's and definitely sold on those sizes.

Going to be a bit of a faff though when I do go for them as I'll need to buy the alloys and tyres separately, ...then have them fitted locally with my original TPMS valves being re-used from my original BMW alloys.

You don't happen to know if it's likely I'll need some sort of seal kit for the TPMS or are they generally okay to be removed and re-used?

Again thanks for the info, Gareth :wink:

#15 ·
The TPMS usually move across ok, it's very rare anyone needs a seal kit. I'd chance it, and if one won't seal just have them stick a standard rubber valve in for a few days. A few beeps, bongs, messages and warning lights, but no biggie temporarily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.