Tyre Reviews Video - Do wider tyres give you more grip? The differences between tyre widths tested and explained.

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

ryujinmaru

Tyre Reviews Video - Do wider tyres give you more grip? The differences between tyre widths tested and explained.

Post by ryujinmaru » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Not sure if posted elsewhere already, but this is the tyres/wheels section after all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgz0qF3CuNA

Tyre Reviews gives a more extreme example than most personal tweakers would go for, but interesting seeing the square set-up results and the wet performances. Knew the wide tyres aren't great in very wet conditions due to aquaplaning, but I didn't think the difference would be as shown. Then again, those are some very wet and extreme conditions and most of the time it would be moist and damp roads that we'd be seeing instead.

Of course, would be more useful to show a more realistic increase in width and use a more powerful test car, but they had to show the differences more clearly and acknowledged the limitation imposed by the car's power.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Tyre Reviews Video - Do wider tyres give you more grip? The differences between tyre widths tested and explained.

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:07 am

Mirrors my experience very closely. (I'm also running Goodyear Asym 3's as it happens).

I prefer a 245mm square set-up, which is less prone to overheating the front tyres (vs skinny 225's), and gives me a more neutral balance with a hint of oversteer when I want it. No dramas in the wet, just a car that's fun to drive in all conditions.

I didn't enjoy MPSS as much in the same square sizes as their narrow drainage grooves didn't cope with standing water well (this is particular to the 245/35/18 pattern SuperSport - PS4 is fine in the same size). 245mm MPSS were better in the dry, but quite prone to aquaplanning (as THE TYRANT also found out).
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”