46% want winter tyres to be compulsary

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Sensisimon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

46% want winter tyres to be compulsary

Post by Sensisimon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:35 am

120d ///M-Sport | Black M6 Wheels | Bluefin Remap | MV Sport Exhaust | BMWP Short Shift | BMWP Pedals | Cruise Control | Auto-Lights | Full PDC | Parrot CK3000 | Black Grills | Blackline Rear Lights | Rear Tints | Aero Spoiler | Short Aerial |

edstrom76
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 46% want winter tyres to be compulsary

Post by edstrom76 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:39 am

I think they probably should be compulsory, given the past few winters we've had. 4wd provides false security - in fact in Scandinavian countries most folks quite happily stick to 2wd only with a decent set of winter tyres. The phrase "UK grind to a halt..." is getting tiresome and it is time to realise that we can't rely on the government to keep the roads clear. Fitting winter tyres to your car all forms part of the big society :D

That being said, the poll is pants though and probably if a relevant poll were carried out it would be much lower. I doubt most cash-strapped drivers want to add another bill to the already soaring costs of motoring so I can't see it happening to be honest.

Of course this is false economy and we probably would be saving money in the long-run as the number of accidents and standstills would drop, but I don't really blame people for kidding themselves - after all keeping costs down and cut where cuts can be made is what the government and most companies do in times of hardship so why should we be any different?

Anthony
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: 46% want winter tyres to be compulsary

Post by Anthony » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:34 am

They should be compulsory it is not just about not becoming stuck but remaining safe. Safe not only for ones own sake but ones family members and other third parties, pedestrians and other motorists. How many people have died in GB this winter due to the conditions It is also an indictment that this country does grind to a halt when it need not just because of a few inches of snow and the guy who is stuck in front does not have winter tyres.
?
Perhaps Sensisimon you could make a pole

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”