Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

TWH

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by TWH » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 am

Good to know on the pressures for non RFT - just switched from standard bridgestone RE050 RFT on the wife's 123d cab to Eagle F1 Assy2 (used them on my old TTS and A3 and loved them even more than PS2s which I didn't think would be possible!) so I was going to ask about pressures.

Just wanted to check that I'm not going mad on something - the tyre guy was pretty insistent that I should have alignment/geometry checked since I have moved to wider tyres (215/40/18 to 225/40/18 on the front and 245/35/18 to 255/35/18 on the rear) and so it would all need re-doing. Given that the car was just in with BMW before the weekend and had a full geometry reset (a really bad pothole had seriously knackered the suspension setup as the back was skipping everywhere) I'm loathe to spend another 150 to get it done a couple of days later and I'm sure I'm not going mad in thinking a 10mm increase in width front and back (with the associated 4mm or so increase in diameter) really shouldn't make any difference in terms of suspension setup?

If I'm wrong and things like camber do need to be changed then I'm happy to do it if it will ensure tyre wear isn't uneven, but I can't see it making any difference with such a relatively small change?
2011 123d M Sport Cab
Space Grey / Coral Red Leather, Professional Nav Pack, Enhanced Bluetooth + Telematics, BMW Online/Assist, PDC, Heated Seats, 261m + Goodyear F1 Assy2

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 am

You're quite right, adding 5mm to each side of each tyre does not effect which direction they point in!

Some of these garages have awful staff. :(
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

TWH

Post by TWH » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:31 pm

I think he was more concerned with camber, but I still can't see 5mm each side making any noticable difference. The only thing I did wonder is whether moving to non RFT could have more of an effect since the tyre will deform differently due to the change in structural rigidity etc... but if that is the case, I assume that any alignment done would be to BMW specs which would be for RFT anyway so I wouldn't gain anything unless I got a custom setup done?
2011 123d M Sport Cab
Space Grey / Coral Red Leather, Professional Nav Pack, Enhanced Bluetooth + Telematics, BMW Online/Assist, PDC, Heated Seats, 261m + Goodyear F1 Assy2

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Front camber is not adjustable.

Rear needs setting up on a Hunter rig (or similar), but it will be the same spec for either tyre type.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

TWH

Post by TWH » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:50 pm

As I thought, so nothing to worry about!

Have to say, the full geometry reset that the stealer did has made the car feel like a totally different beast - clearly when we got it the set up was off slightly, and a couple of nasty potholes over the last couple of months had made it dreadful!

As and FYI for anyone thinking of getting it done, certainly Barons BMW down in Hampshire are doing it on offer for £150 (normally over £200 I think), so could be worth seeing if there are other stealers also doing this offer - if the car is slightly fidgety this could make a big difference!
2011 123d M Sport Cab

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Or try AlignMyCar.com, who'll do the same job on the same machine from around £60.

M4maverick

Post by M4maverick » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Just for Information, April 2013

Have spoken to Aviva today reference non runflats on a 2010 E88, no problem, no premium increase, just noted on insurance details.

Happy days

Mike W
2010, E88, 120d Msport, Space Grey.
(Bluefin, Pilot SS, Camber Pin mod)

bobw

Post by bobw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Newbie here. Just bought a 58 late convertible 118i M sport for my wife as no space in the Boxster we sold for the grandkids! Apologies if this is already on this thread somewhere but I was surprised that the tyre sizes were different from to back although I am used to it on the Porsche. What I can't understand is how does a 17" rim plus 50 equal the same overall diameter as a 17" rim plus 45??
Thanks. haven't got the car yet so no pics.
Bob

PS not a BMW newbie as had 520, 525 and Z3 s during my long life...

bobw

Post by bobw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Sorry, should have said ...front to back...
Bob

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Quite simply, because the profile is not a size or measurement. The profile is a Percentage (of tread width).

When you go for a wider tread (from 205 front to 225 rear, for example) you need to reduce the % profile to have the same overall diameter. :)

MrQuiet

Post by MrQuiet » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:32 am

Newbie here!

I'm looking to get a reasonably priced wheel set for track day use for my 130i. My current plan is to go for a square set-up, with 17" wheels, 225 wide. I'm looking at the Federal 595rs-r tires, as they are a bit cheaper than the alternatives here in Norway.

I would like as wide a track as possible, without any rubbing issues.

I have a couple questions:
> Which is better - 8" or 7.5" wide rims, when using 225 tires?
> How low ET can I use up front if I use 8x17 rims and 225/45 tires?
'06 130i (E87)

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:08 am

8" ET35 is the max.

I'd probably go ET38 myself.

MrQuiet

Post by MrQuiet » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:33 pm

marco_polo wrote:8" ET35 is the max.

I'd probably go ET38 myself.
Thx for the quick reply!

If I do the E9x M3 lower control arm mod, will that require a higher ET, as the M3 arms are slightly longer? Or is this really not a problem, as the top of the damper still sits in the same position. And this is closer to the top of the wheel arch (height wise), than the wheel hub (Where the control arms attach).
'06 130i (E87)

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:41 pm

You'll probably be ok with ET38 & M3 LCA's, especially if you do the camber pin mod too (to move the strut top inward - creating a little more clearance).

SamL

Post by SamL » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi chaps

Currently running Bridgestone run flats on my 08 130i. 245 35 18 on the rear and 215 40 18 on the front. Standard tyres I believe. I'm considering a change to another type brand. One concern however. I drive like a lady 90% of the time and I have had 20k miles out of the last two sets of tyres. Are people seeing the same sort of wear with other brands ?.

Thanks

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”