Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

mar27
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by mar27 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:47 pm

marco_polo wrote:I'd double check they clear the front struts before handing over your hard earned dollar, I wouldn't be surprised if you needed a spacer?
Will do, thanks.
2008 118d E87 Sparkling Graphite

User avatar
dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:48 am

Rim offset, Wheel size & track - What does that mean?

Post by dorsetred » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 am

I've seen several members posting up wheels and tyres on the forum and due to lack of knowledge always ended up asking or checking to see if the respective item would fit, as a result and without going through each page I managed to find an answer as follows: -

Rim offset, Wheel size & track - What does that mean?

Wheel Markings: - on the inside of your wheel, you will find markings similar to this: - 6 ½ J x 15 H2 5/120 ET39

Let’s see what each of these symbols mean.

6 ½: - Inner width of wheel in inches (6 ½ x 25.4mm= 152.4mm).

J: - Indicates the shape of the wheel on the place where the tyre bead sits on the wheel.

x: - Indicates that the construction of the wheel is one-piece.

15: - Nominal wheel diameter in inches (15 x 25.4mm= 381mm).

H2: - Type of wheels flange. Wheels flange is a bulge on the wheel in the place where the tyre bead lies on the wheel. It prevents the tyre from falling inside of the wheel.

5/120: - First number is the number of bolts (in our case 5). The number 120 indicates the so-called PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) which is the diameter of an imaginary circle drawn through the centre hole of the screws on which the wheel is mounted.

ЕТ39: - ET is the offset, that is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the plane of the hub-mounting surface of the wheel. The offset is measured in millimetres and can be positive or negative. In our case it is positive: 39 mm.

Hope this helps other people.

dorsetred 8)

EDIT: By moderator, to save confusion.
[/color]Current MY15 F45 218d M Sport Active Tourer
Previous - MY13 F22 118d Sports Plus, MY11 Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, MY09 Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, MY01 Honda HRV, too many more.

max913
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by max913 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:14 pm

Ive read every post in this topic on what tires i should get for my new rims.
Still not sure tho, iv picked up some styling 180s 7.5j front 8j back.
My car is not lowered and have no intention to do so in the future, now a friend told me that i should get 225/40/18 all around then.
The chart on my doorpanel says: Front 205/45/18 or 215/40/18
Back 225/40/18 or 245/35/18
I just want to know what will look best. :?
Thx

ian_h
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by ian_h » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:55 am

Can someone confirm if I was to put 225/45 on the front and 235/45 on the rears will it mess up the sensors?
It's currently on 205/50 front and 225/45 rear so surely it's just the same as it has a staggered size already?

According to the garage that was about to fit them there bmw tech guy says it will trigger the sensors and the speedo will be out.

Any help appreciated
E87 2010 120d - P-torque remap 222 bhp - BMWP exhaust - ssk - cruise control retrofit- Toby depo's

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 46701
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by marco_polo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:25 pm

ian_h wrote:Can someone confirm if I was to put 225/45 on the front and 235/45 on the rears will it mess up the sensors?
It's currently on 205/50 front and 225/45 rear so surely it's just the same as it has a staggered size already?

According to the garage that was about to fit them there bmw tech guy says it will trigger the sensors and the speedo will be out.

Any help appreciated
Reset the TPMS once fitted, and it will be fine.

The speedo will be a tiny bit more accurate (by 1.3% ).
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

IanM240i
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by IanM240i » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi Newbie here. I have looked through the FAQ but still have a query. I recently picked up my M240i and had 19" Double-Spoke 405M fitted as part of the M performance kit. I still have the original 18" wheels with tyres but I am looking for some winter tyres to put on the original wheels for when the weather gets really bad. I have 2 queries.
1, Do you have to tell the car when you put the 18" wheels on or is it just fit?
2, Does anyone have recommendations for winter tyres to fit the 18"s?
Ian H M240i Mineral Grey

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 46701
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by marco_polo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:56 pm

IanM240i wrote: 1, Do you have to tell the car when you put the 18" wheels on or is it just fit?
2, Does anyone have recommendations for winter tyres to fit the 18"s?
Ian H M240i Mineral Grey
1) You need to reset the TPMS per the manual, but that's it.
2) I usually recommend 225/40/18 92v front, and 235/40/18 95v for the back (245/35 are silly money). Matched brands, quality tyres. I like Nokians for winters, Conti's are popular too.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

IanM240i
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by IanM240i » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Many Thanks Marco_Polo. I'll start looking.

msej449
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:51 pm
Location: Brighton UK & La Tzoumaz CH

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by msej449 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:39 am

@IamM240i - I looked at this option and all I could find were the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie-II to fit the original offset wheel sizes (18" 7.5J front, 8J rear). Of course, these aren't cheap but I had them on my 330d xDrive and they were very good: they handled well in warmer conditions and were still great in snow. Be careful about Runflat versus non-runflat versions - some of the cheaper prices are for non-runflats (fine if that's your choice, but easy to miss). It was a close-run thing, but in the end, I opted for new wheels from an independent dealer with square 17" 7.5J all-'round carrying the Pirelli Sottozero S3. BMW also do a number of winter sets (wheels +tyres) for the M240i but these are all around £1500-£1800 (!) It has to be said that replacing the tyres alone is a lot cheaper, although the narrower width (7.5J) and diameter (17") rears noticeably reduced the tendency to aquaplane in deep water.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

IanM240i
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by IanM240i » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi, thanks for info. I was looking at Conti 850 as they reviewed very well in trials but not many about. Runflat winters are prohib expensive! Still looking. Ian

Hero878
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by Hero878 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:55 pm

I have a 116i SE with 205/55/R16 tyres. It says it is compatible with 205/55R16 V 91 and 225/45R17 W 91
What is the reason for installing 225s?

I have a major problem with my new tyres...I just replaced my run flats (Pirelli 205/55R16 W) with non run flats Goodyear Efficiency Grip 205/55R/16 91V and they are terrible.
At the recommended pressures 2.0 front and 2.2 rear they are so soft that i feel no road and steering requires 200% input.
So i put in a few Psi extra and now the ride feels the same as run flats and the steering is still terrible and not precise. I can be driving along and the steering is so lose and has no feel to it.

What should I do? Go back to Pirelli 205/55/R16W and sell the goodyears to a part worn...I would like to try other non run flats like Michelin but I don't want to risk wasting money.

Thanks

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 46701
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by marco_polo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Hero878 wrote:I have a 116i SE with 205/55/R16 tyres. It says it is compatible with 205/55R16 V 91 and 225/45R17 W 91
What is the reason for installing 225s?

I have a major problem with my new tyres...I just replaced my run flats (Pirelli 205/55R16 W) with non run flats Goodyear Efficiency Grip 205/55R/16 91V and they are terrible.
At the recommended pressures 2.0 front and 2.2 rear they are so soft that i feel no road and steering requires 200% input.
So i put in a few Psi extra and now the ride feels the same as run flats and the steering is still terrible and not precise. I can be driving along and the steering is so lose and has no feel to it.

What should I do? Go back to Pirelli 205/55/R16W and sell the goodyears to a part worn...I would like to try other non run flats like Michelin but I don't want to risk wasting money.

Thanks
The load index is too low, 91's are floppy, you need XL's.

205/55R/16 94V XL
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Hero878
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by Hero878 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:18 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Hero878 wrote:I have a 116i SE with 205/55/R16 tyres. It says it is compatible with 205/55R16 V 91 and 225/45R17 W 91
What is the reason for installing 225s?

I have a major problem with my new tyres...I just replaced my run flats (Pirelli 205/55R16 W) with non run flats Goodyear Efficiency Grip 205/55R/16 91V and they are terrible.
At the recommended pressures 2.0 front and 2.2 rear they are so soft that i feel no road and steering requires 200% input.
So i put in a few Psi extra and now the ride feels the same as run flats and the steering is still terrible and not precise. I can be driving along and the steering is so lose and has no feel to it.

What should I do? Go back to Pirelli 205/55/R16W and sell the goodyears to a part worn...I would like to try other non run flats like Michelin but I don't want to risk wasting money.

Thanks
The load index is too low, 91's are floppy, you need XL's.

205/55R/16 94V XL
Aww thank you so much! now I know why. Would there be much difference between XL and RunFlats? XL is about the same price as runflats so I am not sure if to just get run flats or XL...

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 46701
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by marco_polo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Hero878 wrote:Aww thank you so much! now I know why. Would there be much difference between XL and RunFlats? XL is about the same price as runflats so I am not sure if to just get run flats or XL...
Roughly speaking, tyres go from floppy 91's, to firm 94 XL's, to rock hard Runcraps.

Your BMW was built with slightly floppy suspension bushes to help compensate for the rock hard tyres. Going to a floppy tyre too makes the steering and handling a bit vague!

Most people prefer XL's over the Runcraps, but as you have small wheels with a large 55 profile tyre, the gain in comfort will be less than someone with 18" runcraps.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Hero878
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Wheels & Tyres FAQ- please read before posting

Post by Hero878 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:49 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Hero878 wrote:Aww thank you so much! now I know why. Would there be much difference between XL and RunFlats? XL is about the same price as runflats so I am not sure if to just get run flats or XL...
Roughly speaking, tyres go from floppy 91's, to firm 94 XL's, to rock hard Runcraps.

Your BMW was built with slightly floppy suspension bushes to help compensate for the rock hard tyres. Going to a floppy tyre too makes the steering and handling a bit vague!

Most people prefer XL's over the Runcraps, but as you have small wheels with a large 55 profile tyre, the gain in comfort will be less than someone with 18" runcraps.
Thanks again! Really appreciate your input. I was also thinking that with my small wheels and large 55 profile that runflats are comfortable anyway.
In that case I'll just get runflats as they seemed comfy anyway.

Do you also know why anyone would fit the 225/45s?

Post Reply

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”