Stretched Tyres now MOT Fail

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Stretched Tyres now MOT Fail

Post by rob180bhp » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:13 pm

I don't believe stretch tyres have ever been mentioned in the vosa manual before only incorrectly mounted tyres

The manual does change without any notice
So what could pass one year could fail the next

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:17 pm

rob180bhp wrote:I don't believe stretch tyres have ever been mentioned in the vosa manual before only incorrectly mounted tyres

The manual does change without any notice
So what could pass one year could fail the next

An over stretched tyre can be incorrectly mounted but according to the GOV link, the steely doesn't have an incorrectly mounted tyre although it is stretch. I think the extremes are what needs to be avoided which I agree with because extreme stretch not only looks stupid but is dangerous, but slight/subtle stretch is fine. If anything the new law will help traffic police or police that pull you. They'll then be able to say straight away that this tyre is over stretched and therefore unsafe and illegal vs one with slight stretch that you'd probably get away with. When I had my bump (rear ended, not my fault), police checked my car (as they turned up out of pure chance) and didn't mention anything about stretch, even though both officers gave my car a good looking over and good check. They only mentioned how nice she looked and positives about my car rather than negatives.

As I said before I'm pretty sure the E9x M3 and M4 come with stretch tyres from BMW.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:As I said before I'm pretty sure the E9x M3 and M4 come with stretch tyres from BMW.
8.5" with 245/35 front, 9.5" with 265/35 rear.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:27 pm

That's the same size tyres but 1m and competition m3 always are 9 and 10j

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:27 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sonic1506 wrote:As I said before I'm pretty sure the E9x M3 and M4 come with stretch tyres from BMW.
8.5" with 245/35 front, 9.5" with 265/35 rear.
I know people that collected their cars from BMW with stretch tyres on the rear. Approved Used cars as well as brand new cars that were bought direct.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Can you remember any details Chap?

rob180bhp wrote:That's the same size tyres but 1m and competition m3 always are 9 and 10j

They'd still fall under ETRTO 'Ideal tyre width' recommendations, no stretch there.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:05 pm

marco_polo wrote:Can you remember any details Chap?
If that's in reply to me:

The M4 was bought recently, approx 6 months ago, completely standard and pretty much top spec. Approved Used from BMW. The owner doesn't modify cars and previously owned an E46 M3. He does know his far share about cars though.

E92 M3 was bought years ago. Again, the guy that bought it, doesn't modify his cars, just buys what he likes and daily drives them. Bought new from BMW. I also read a few topics on M3 Cutters about cars coming with Stretch and a few people in the car scene that said the same thing.

When I was looking for my E87, I saw an M3 at Spire Watford that had stretch. It was Approved Used at the time. Thought it was strange that the cars had stretch from BMW.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:06 pm

Sorry, I meant sizes? Does he still own the M4 with stretched tyres?

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:11 pm

marco_polo wrote:Sorry, I meant sizes? Does he still own the M4 with stretched tyres?
No idea on sizes! Sorry! You could clearly see the stretch in the side wall though. Yes, M4 is still owned. Only recently bought so I doubt he'll sell it soon! I think the M4 has Michelin PSS. M4 is an amazing car.

All cars are completely standard though.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:16 pm

This seems to suggest a 275 on a 10J as stock on an M4, it might be wrong though:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/m ... index.html

Wibbles

Re: RE: Re: Stretched Tyres now MOT Fail

Post by Wibbles » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Wibbles wrote:They look like rice cars not stance'd cars.
[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QM8zdrY8HHA/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

3.6L Boosted Flat Six producing near enough 600bhp. Pure rice right there. :roll: :roll:. Stance doesn't necessarily mean this:

[img]http://www.dpccars.com/gallery/var/albums/Audi-Stance/Audi%20Stance%20-%2014.jpg?m=1375143877[/img]
It was a mistake, auto correct kicked me in the nuts. I meant Race cars. Thanks te sh*t meme though, well done fella.
F21 M135i - AW CR - lots of options.
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Wibbles wrote:It was a mistake, auto correct kicked me in the nuts. I meant Race cars. Thanks te sh*t meme though, well done fella.
Stance doesn't just mean stupid stretch and outrageous camber though bud. Stance can mean a lot of different things based on the application. Stance in the Drift scene is different to Stance in Euro scene, which is different to Stance in the Drag Scene which again is different to Stance to the VIP or Boso Scene.

Have a look at a Boso Car compared to a Euro Car and then a VIP Car and you'll see the differences in the styles as well as stances.

Euro cars are flush wheel to arch fitment.
VIP cars are as low as possible with air ride, VIP used to be tucking wheels, modern VIP is to do with a bit more camber but still lots of lows.
Boso cars are slammed down to the ground, usually poking wheels with lairy paint jobs and exhausts.
etc. etc.
Then you've got RWB and LTMW making over fender kits/widebodies, similar to Rocket Bunny but their cars are either stance or race inspired.

Stance means different things to different people and what look you want to go for.
Last edited by Sonic1506 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:32 pm

All sounds like a load of form over function bollox to me mate. Handling over looks any day of the week.

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Wibbles wrote:All sounds like a load of form over function bollox to me mate. Handling over looks any day of the week.
Each to their own Monsieur Wibbles. If everyone did the same thing, the world would be a boring place :).

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Wibbles wrote:All sounds like a load of form over function bollox to me mate. Handling over looks any day of the week.
Each to their own Monsieur Wibbles. If everyone did the same thing, the world would be a boring place :).
For sure mi amigo. No offence meant, just my opinion.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”