Wheel Offsets and Widths Explained

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Wheel Offsets and Widths Explained

Postby Danny_Boy » Tue May 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Hello people,

I'm bored at work so thought i would help write out a thread for people to read when looking for wheels to fit their cars.

Loads of people do not have any idea what J's and ET's are when it comes to wheels, well, read below!

J:
this is the width of the wheel from inner to outer rim in inches. so an 18x8J is 18 inches in diameter of course and 8 inches from inner to outer rim.

ET:
this is what causes people a LOT of confusion! the ET is basically the distance the mounting surface is from the centre of the wheel. So on an 8J wheel, imagine there is a line 4 inches inbetween the wheel yes? Right, now the ET is the distance in millimetres that the hub sits from this centre line.

POSITIVE offset like ET35 means the mating surface of the wheel sits 35 millimetres closer to the OUTSIDE of the wheel. So effectively more of the wheel goes over the hub and sits in the arch closer to the suspension strut.
So the lower the number towards ZERO the more the wheel will stick out, the HIGHER the number, the more it will sit INSIDE the arch towards the suspension.

NEGETIVE offset means the hub mating surface is closer to the INSIDE of the wheel so this means the wheels stick out further. so ET-35 means the hub mating surface sits 35 millimetres closer to the INSIDE of the wheel.

NOW....... a combination of the two!

We shall use the same wheel OFFSET to explain

18x8J ET40, so 8 inches wide with a hub mating surface thats sits 40mm closer to the outside of the wheel.

If you wanted a wider wheel so an 18x8.5J ET40 wheel, we need to take into consideration that the wheel is half an inch (12.7mm) wider than the 8J. BUT because the wheel is the exact same offset, it means that the extra width is split EQUALLY each side, so the wheel will sit further in the arch towards the suspension strut 6.3mm and further towards the arch itself 6.3mm.

NOW....

what about an 18x8.5J et35....

Well this wheel is still 12.7mm wider than our last wheel, but because the hub mating surface sits 5mm closer to the hub, it automatically means the wheel will stick out 5mm more. So lets apply this:

We have the fact the wheel is 12.7mm wider
We have the fact there is a 5mm offset difference.

SO... 6.3mm wider each side, then add the 5mm offset difference to the OUTSIDE as it stick out further, so we have a wheel that will stick out 11.3mm MORE than out 18x8j et40 wheel and will stick in only 1.3mm closer the the inside/strut as you minus the 5mm offset difference.

Make sense?

If not, go to Willtheyfit.com and let that do it for you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2009 E82 135i Manual - MHD - Quaife - BMWP Exhaust - VRSF DCI - Intercooler - Charge Pipe - M3 LCA & Arms - BMWP Strut Brace - Darklines -

Floydian
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Wheel Offsets and Widths Explained

Postby Floydian » Wed May 18, 2016 12:14 am

Wow thanks Man

:spotman:

I never could fully understand what was ET, I just knew the smaller the number the more wheels stick out.

The forum should really have a like button for all the effort but it doesn't.
Current: BMW 1.20i F20 LCI M Sport Plus Mineral Grey with Adaptive Full LED Headlamps, LED Foglamps, High Beam Assist, Sunroof.
Previous Cars: Mk5 Golf GTI big turbo, E36 M3 - 286, E36 318is, Seat Leon 1.9TDI, etc etc...

free image host

rjwojcik
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Postby rjwojcik » Wed May 18, 2016 7:06 am

Good post :thumbs:
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black - http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87243
Gone : 2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black -
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30839
(Team Rob)

weasley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby weasley » Wed May 18, 2016 8:11 am

What isn't mentioned is that offset is about more than just "will it fit?" and "will it look sick, innit?". The offset is part of the overall steering and suspension geometry and changing it can impact both, which can lead to various issues; perhaps bush wear, tyre wear, joint wear, tramlining etc. One dramatic possibility is that, in the event of a blowout, the effect on the steering can be unpredictable. Such factors are taken into account by the chassis designer.
130i M-Sport
2007 (56)
Le Mans Blue
Gone, but never forgotten.

marco_polo

Postby marco_polo » Wed May 18, 2016 8:18 am

Agreed.

Try to stick within 1/4" of standard offsets where possible, or it will effect your scrub radius.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - 245/35 Goodyear Asym 3's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Twenny

Postby Twenny » Wed May 18, 2016 9:23 am

Nice write up Danny boy

2010 E82 125i modded by Babybmw.net
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp - BMWP exhaust-intake-skirts-gear knob-grilles-Rieger diffuser-Darklines-cruise control fitted-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My blog thing - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

roundasapound

Postby roundasapound » Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 am

Thank you. I'm going to read this about 10x before it all sinks in :shock: .. And still ask "Will these wheels fit?" :lol:
Japan Red 130i M Sport :wavey:
My baby bimmer: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=89303

atnem

Postby atnem » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Thanks for the post I've been curious about this for a while!

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”