Baby BMW Forum banner

Lost key for locking wheel nut

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  iAde46 
#1 ·
So sometime between me fitting my winter wheels and now, I've been a total knob and managed to lose the key for the locking wheel nuts. Will my local BMW dealership have a master key that can get them off? At least then I could just replace them for 4x standard bolts in the meantime.

If no master key is available, what are the other options? Looking at their website, McGard can issue replacements, but you need some sort of ID which I don't think I was ever given with the car.

#4 ·
The dealer has them all and can tell you which one you need based on your VIN...

IF they can't get your key any more for whatever reason, they'll use their masters to remove your lockers and sell you a new set.

Nothing much to worry about in any case, just get to your nearest dealer

#5 ·
Yup, dealer can remove it with ease. From what I read somewhere, the locking wheel nut sets aren't that expensive from BMW?

I left the locking wheel nut key in the wheel nut once.... it lasted the 2 mile journey home too! How lucky was that :lol2:

#8 ·
New "key" cost me about a fiver a couple of years ago. The dealers have a box of different ones, so they can compare with the ones you have fitted and guarantee selling you the right one. Not expensive, and a lot cheaper than a whole new set of bolts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.