Best place/website to buy 6000k HID xenon lights?

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis

oliver
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Best place/website to buy 6000k HID xenon lights?

Post by oliver » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:54 am

The colour temperature has nothing to do with brightness.

6000K is the same brightness as 4300K, 5000K, 8000K etc.....it's just a different colour. There is no change in brightness/hotspot/castoff/intensity.

It is illegal and just plain wrong to put HIDs into a halogen headlight. Whether you put 6000K or 4300K it doesn't matter, your headlights will blind people and you will fail MOT.

You can only put HIDs into a headlight unit designed for xenon HIDs. This is due to temperature tolerances as well as the projectors and level sensors.

And no you can not put the ballasts and resistors inside the headlights lol well you can if you want to melt them!!

For the sake of other road users, do not use HIDs in your halogen headlights. They don't even look good unless used in a xenon headlight.

Different HID colours, same brightness.

Last edited by oliver on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ItsNumptyBoy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ItsNumptyBoy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:55 am

kjb1 wrote:ahh ok. No worries, I was just laughing at the end sentence :)
Ah........see, I was expecting a fiery retort :lol:

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

kjb1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kjb1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:09 pm

usable light output is lost further up the kelvin scale you go! fact !!! the human eye responds best to the colour temperature of daylight, ie 4300k. Hence manufacturers use this colour as a standard across the industry to allow the human eye to see more vividly at this temp. The further you deviate away from the 4300k, the less usable the light is to the human eye. I never mentioned brightness??

Regarding heat, hid bulbs give off less heat than a halogen. Standard halogen headlights rarely have projectors ( which help immensely ), have no self levelling system, which is what gives a standard xenon car that twinkle coming towards you and you see a vast array of colours through the spectrum as it is altering tge angle you see it all the time. You will never replicate that effect, and that is what most people try and do by fitting silly rated colours to try and achieve it!! also you need headlamp washers to be fully legsl as the light is diffracted from dirty lenses.

oliver

Post by oliver » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 pm

It wasn't you who mentioned brightness.

The HIDs give off less heat?!! You can feel the heat coming out of the headlight!!

I suggest you touch the resistors (or fry an egg on them!) :lol: They get very hot indeed.

Yeah 4300K is used mostly to get best of yellow/blue spectrum. All the Kelvin is based on day colours, 6000K is overcast sky for example.

I use 6000K for my angel eyes and i'll be uprating my dipped beams to 5000K, just personal preference.

kjb1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kjb1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 pm

have you ever touched a halogen bulb after its been on??? they are much of a muchness, but xenon consumes less power than a halogen, thus are more efficient, and therefore give off less waste energy, ie heat being one of them.

oliver

Post by oliver » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:08 pm

I understand they are very inefficient. But put your hand in front of my headlights and you can feel heat coming out!! Perhaps it's just because the light is focused by the projector....but the resistors get ridiculously hot! I just get worried when people say they wanna put the resistors/ballasts into the headlights!

What I am trying to say is...the net heat output of a halogen is more....but the actual point temperature of a xenon is much more. Does that make sense?! :lol:

Ryan58
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ryan58 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:39 pm

sorry all, I didnt mean to start a domestic lol :lol:
118 D SE, 3 Door, M Sport Suspension, Metalic Blue, Osram Night Breaker Plus, stubby aerial, automatic opening boot
For summer time - Yamaha FX cruiser SHO 2008, 211BHP

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:00 pm

As I see it it is the heat output from the HID ballast that causes problems, not the actual bulb unit itself. Which is why you have to be careful where you mount them.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

oliver

Post by oliver » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:20 pm

It's not even the ballast, it's the resistor that gets super hot!

I am pretty sure that my angel eyes feel hotter than when I had stock yellow H8 bulbs in. Could be wrong but they definitely feel hotter.

Taken from government website:
It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that
have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.
I wonder which cars this applies to. :?:

kjb1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kjb1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:22 pm

oliver if you bought an expensive digital ballast, then the extra inline resistors you talk of wouldnt be required as they also desl with the bulb warning failure message in the ballast itself!! :)

oliver

Post by oliver » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:27 pm

a variable digital ballast would be fantastic, imagine being able to dim them to the exact brightness you want mmmmmmmm maybe on my next car. :)

Albertpeter

Post by Albertpeter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Check out this , https://xenons4u.co.uk, I bought a pair of hid bulb 6000k for my audi.
high quality and low price light for your vehicle.

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”