Baby BMW Forum banner

1M look front bumper fog lights

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Sonic1506 
#1 ·
I recently bought an 06 e87 with the 1m look bumper already fitted, im just wondering if the fog lights are the standard ones or someone can point me to the fog lights that fit? the ones currently mounted are all corroded in the reflector and need replacing.

thanks

#4 ·
They are OEM M-Sport lamps but the bracket of the lamp might need altering slightly, I unfortunately found this out yesterday while fitting my 1M look bumpers.

#5 ·
Muaythaimatt95 said:
They are OEM M-Sport lamps but the bracket of the lamp might need altering slightly, I unfortunately found this out yesterday while fitting my 1M look bumpers.
My friends that have put 1M look bumpers on have literally just unbolted the M Sport round fogs and fitted them in. No modification needed. I believe they all have the Kerscher bumpers.

#6 ·
Are you changing them because they look naff or because you think corroded fog lights won't work effectively?

If the latter, save your money as no fog lights work effectively.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Seriously, I stand by my comment with the tiniest possible exception of exceptionally high-quality fog lights none of which would apply to any standard OEM fitting on any car.

The effective range of fog lights is insufficient for anything other than very slow driving. Better by far is dipped beam and main beam. The perception that you get glare and can't see into the distance is just that - perception. Try it out next time it's foggy.

Furthermore, idiots who seem to think it's cool to drive with fog lights as driving lights, are, amongst other things, compromising their long distance vision as you get a pool of bright light directly in front of the car effectively causing local dazzle especially when driving on roads without street lighting.

…..and why the :censored2: do people use fog lights during daylight???? Don't people think things through? "Oh, it's foggy, I'll turn on my fog lights." :?

#12 ·
GeeDee said:
Seriously, I stand by my comment with the tiniest possible exception of exceptionally high-quality fog lights none of which would apply to any standard OEM fitting on any car.
If you aren't aware Morimoto do direct replacement fog lights, they're LED and are getting a lot of good criticism from people in the states. I'm looking into a set for mine, mainly because I have OCD and I want to upgrade all of the lights/lamps on my car. I already have a custom set of DEPO projector headlights as well as interior lights all upgraded to LED. Next step is doing the rear lights. But I agree with the following points:

Furthermore, idiots who seem to think it's cool to drive with fog lights as driving lights, are, amongst other things, compromising their long distance vision as you get a pool of bright light directly in front of the car effectively causing local dazzle especially when driving on roads without street lighting.

…..and why the :censored2: do people use fog lights during daylight???? Don't people think things through? "Oh, it's foggy, I'll turn on my fog lights." :?
I disagree with this:

Better by far is dipped beam and main beam.
Tried it and it wasn't better. It was worse.

#13 ·
Sonic

Basic issues aside, I thought I read somewhere that LEDs are not suitable for fog lights.

I assumed it was related to a temperature of the light which tends to be more blueish and blue (opposite to red in terms of the spectrum) has least penetrating power owing to being scattered more easily. This is why red is used for stop lights, etc and the sky is blue.

Could be wrong but worth checking out before spending a fortune on extra weight for the car :wink:

Are you saying you can see more/further using OEM foglights than dipped and/or main beam?

#14 ·
GeeDee said:
Sonic

Basic issues aside, I thought I read somewhere that LEDs are not suitable for fog lights.

I assumed it was related to a temperature of the light which tends to be more blueish and blue (opposite to red in terms of the spectrum) has least penetrating power owing to being scattered more easily. This is why red is used for stop lights, etc and the sky is blue.

Could be wrong but worth checking out before spending a fortune on extra weight for the car :wink:

Are you saying you can see more/further using OEM foglights than dipped and/or main beam?
These fog lights have LED's that are specifically designed for it, they're not just bunged in, they have had proper R&D over a long long time. Morimoto are not your usual Chinese "bang it out quick without any testing" outfit.

In terms of your extra weight comment, they're slightly lighter than OEM I believe but in any case, adding weight to my car doesn't bother me considering I have air ride (Not that it adds a great deal of weight anyway).

I'm saying with main beam on, it was worse than only using dipped beam. I was faced with a wall of light, in my situation, fog lights with dipped beam helped more with seeing the road edges (country road, thick fog, no street lights, late at night) rather than using dipped & main beam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.