Baby BMW Forum banner

Interior Light's Replacement

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Octavius 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to replace the interior roof lights in my 2017 116. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the cover to access the bulbs/connections.
Nobody on the internet seems to have ever posted about this certain light fixture.(All i can find is the dome spotlight fixture) Attached is a photo of the fixture i have.

20171017_150838-min (1).jpg

20171017_150845-min.jpg

So far i've tried taking the trim off to see if there is something i need to unclip but i couldnt see anything. In regards to the back seat light fixture, there only seems to be one way of doing it and that would be to just pry it off, although i have already put quite a bit of force into trying to pry it off with no luck, i just cant see how the covers would come off normally.

Also i reference to this post i have the same thing with my lights, i'd like to know why this happens and if i can change it. If anyone knows?

Cheers.

See less See more
#4 ·
Regarding the rear light I managed to pry it open using some force. The trick is to insert a trim tool (I used the end of a spoon) between the light and the ceiling on the side which is closest to the front of the car. There are 2 metal clips/hooks which you need to slide out. They are about an inch away from the corners of the side facing the front of the car. You must slide these downwards for the light to come out. Unfortunately I applied too much force and lost 1 of the clips inside the ceiling as it popped out. Luckily the light went back in and is secure with just 1 clip.

Regarding the front I tried the same as you and could not work it out. It's probably the same as the rear but I'm afraid of applying too much force and breaking it so I'm currently stuck with a yellow front light whereas I now have a nice bright white Led rear light!

#7 ·
fez_7 said:
Octavius said:
Remove the front sun visors and the roof lining will drop down enough to allow access to the fixing clips.
Thanks a lot, I'll give this a go on the weekend and let you know how I get on!
Unfortunately still no luck with this. I removed the screws on each side closest to the centre and the lining came loose but it's still stuck where the rear view mirror is. I tried and failed to remove the visors fully as I couldn't the remove the caps closest to the door?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.