Baby BMW Forum banner

Looking for similar lights to Black Devil on YouTube. What are my light upgrade options for a pre LCI E87?

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Sonic1506 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 pre LCI E87 118D Sport with standard halogen lights front and rear. I would like to change these to newer style one with LEDs ideally and have that xenon white look at front with angel eye DRLs.

What are my options? And is it a simple switching of the lights or do new ones need rewiring and/or recoding at all?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

#3 ·
You can get DEPO V1 or V2, V1 are yellow rings but you can change the bulbs to LED and have white rings. V2 are white LED rings.

They are direct plug and play (remember to swap your headlight motors). You'll then need to code Sidelights as DRL so the rings are always on.

#4 ·
Sonic1506 said:
You can get DEPO V1 or V2, V1 are yellow rings but you can change the bulbs to LED and have white rings. V2 are white LED rings.

They are direct plug and play (remember to swap your headlight motors). You'll then need to code Sidelights as DRL so the rings are always on.
Awesome. Cheers for this! And what about the back ones? If I bought blacklines from, say, a 2008 E87, are they plug and play into a 2005 E87 too?

#5 ·
Bunford said:
Awesome. Cheers for this! And what about the back ones? If I bought blacklines from, say, a 2008 E87, are they plug and play into a 2005 E87 too?
If you want the LED bars then no, you need wiring and coding. If you just want to swap to LCI lights then again no, some slight wiring is needed. There are a few guides on here.

#7 ·
Sonic1506 said:
Bunford said:
If you want the LED bars then no, you need wiring and coding. If you just want to swap to LCI lights then again no, some slight wiring is needed. There are a few guides on here.
Yeah, seen this and prepped for some wiring. I picked up a couple of rear LCI lights and hoping they will be fine once wired and coded.

They look like they only have 3 stripes, which I believe is the low version. Is this correct? And do they still need the same wiring and coding as I have halogens fronts (that I will soon be changing, probably to Depo v2)?

These are the units I have purchased:

Passenger:
Driver:

#8 ·
#9 ·
Bunford said:
Yeah, seen this and prepped for some wiring. I picked up a couple of rear LCI lights and hoping they will be fine once wired and coded.

They look like they only have 3 stripes, which I believe is the low version. Is this correct? And do they still need the same wiring and coding as I have halogens fronts (that I will soon be changing, probably to Depo v2)?

These are the units I have purchased:

Passenger:
Driver:
3 bars are low.
4 bars are hi.

#10 ·
Bunford said:
LanceG said:
Cheers for that! Had already come across this, but refers to being a LCI low to LCI high mod, so unclear if it's the same for pre LCI to LCI?!
You clearly didn't read the guide.

The post is titled "How To: Upgrade to Facelift Rear Lights"

and the first post is a pre facelift to lci lo which are the lights that you have purchased.... :eek2:

perfect guide for you Bunford.

#11 ·
LanceG said:
Bunford said:
LanceG said:
Cheers for that! Had already come across this, but refers to being a LCI low to LCI high mod, so unclear if it's the same for pre LCI to LCI?!
You clearly didn't read the guide.

The post is titled "How To: Upgrade to Facelift Rear Lights"

and the first post is a pre facelift to lci lo which are the lights that you have purchased.... :eek2:

perfect guide for you Bunford.
D'oh! I mixed up with another guide!

But yeah, this guide should allow me to switch them. Is there any way to get the LEDs to work for a pre-facelift using the guide I have seen around here that suggests to wire the extra spade pin for the harness to the number plate lights and code the number plate lights to be always on as DRLs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.