Baby BMW Forum banner

Depo V2's worth it?

6K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Twenny 
#1 ·
Just got a quote of £575 incl. VAT to supply and fit Depo V2's & HID's

Does that sound like a good price?
Are Depo V2's worthwhile and do they last?
Can bulbs be replaced without taking off bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
They're around the £250 mark new and can be fitted diy easily. Add another £50-ish for an hid kit and you still save almost £300 on that quote.

#4 ·
Ok thanks wasn't sure if that was high or not.

Wasn't keen on doing the work myself will check and see what's required to get the bumper iff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Sonic1506 said:
Jeo said:

Wasn't keen on doing the work myself will check and see what's required to get the bumper iff

It's easy, there's a guide on here. You can probably get it off in 30 mins or less.
Will have a search for it - Do you need to get the lights/beam adjusted by a garage to be legal (MOT compliant)?

#7 ·
Jeo said:
Sonic1506 said:
Jeo said:

It's easy, there's a guide on here. You can probably get it off in 30 mins or less.
Will have a search for it - Do you need to get the lights/beam adjusted by a garage to be legal (MOT compliant)?
Yes that's expensive.

Yes it's easy to do yourself.

Yes lamps can be changed.

Yes it's definitely 100% worth it.

You can either pay an MOT garage £10 to level your lights OR you can do what I did which is park a distance from a wall with halogens and mark the distance from the wall and height of light beam. Fit new lights and repeat the above steps and adjust via the top of the depos with an Allen key [emoji1360]

Here's a guide to fit the depos -

#10 ·
#11 ·
Sonic1506 said:
BrightonRider said:
Where is the best place to source Depo V2's & HID's units in the UK? Preferably with grey inserts - I have a 2006 130i.

Spoke to MStyle...

....and they said they are out stock indefinitely?!

Any other options?

Thanks
M Style are sh*t. Go to ADTuning or look for a second hand set on eBay or BMW 1 Series Forum on Facebook.
This.

#12 ·
#16 ·
#19 ·
Twenny said:
Fitted lights thanks Twenny for the link 😊 and had them aligned, but do I need to fit the motor to adjust the headlights into the Depo's as I didn't swap them over?

Also H7 bulbs for Dipped and High Beams work a treat.

Bought these H7 HIDS for dipped beam. They are 5000k (nice and white) and match the LED rings. https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/premium-h7-55w-slim-canbus-hid-xenon-conversion-kit/

Demos with HIDS are definitely worth it my light output has gone up significantly especially as I live by it in the sticks

#20 ·
Jeo said:
Fitted lights thanks Twenny for the link [emoji4] and had them aligned, but do I need to fit the motor to adjust the headlights into the Depo's as I didn't swap them over?
Yes mate you have to swap the motors over otherwise you can't adjust the light beam via the little wheel next to light selector switch.

When you switch on the ignition with your headlights switched on you should see the light beam go up and down, this is the motor setting the correct height.

Without the motor you're headlights are flapping around inside lol

You need to take this out of your old headlight (turn it a quarter turn to the left) -

And take this out of the depos and put the motor in -

#21 ·
Twenny said:
Jeo said:
Fitted lights thanks Twenny for the link [emoji4] and had them aligned, but do I need to fit the motor to adjust the headlights into the Depo's as I didn't swap them over?
Yes mate you have to swap the motors over otherwise you can't adjust the light beam via the little wheel next to light selector switch.

When you switch on the ignition with your headlights switched on you should see the light beam go up and down, this is the motor setting the correct height.

You need to take this out of your old headlight (turn it a quarter turn to the left) -

I had that problem but took it to a garage who aligned lights and fixed bulbs in place with a bracket.

Wondering if I still need motors

#22 ·
Jeo said:
Twenny said:
Jeo said:

I had that problem but took it to a garage who aligned lights and fixed bulbs in place with a bracket.

Wondering if I still need motors
Huh? Well that's not good.

Well I'd certainly park opposite a wall and with lights on see if you can adjust light beam via the little wheel -

If you can then maybe it's ok, if you can't then I think it's an MOT fail.

#23 ·
It was an MOT registered place that did them and I Definitely can't adjust I have the motors ready to fit tomorrow... will check if I can put in the motors and adjust the beams...,

Alignment was done on the lights though for them to be MOT compliant... they're aligned correctly I believe as they hit the same spot on my front door as the previous lights did when parked in my drive

#24 ·
Jeo said:
It was an MOT registered place that did them and I Definitely can't adjust I have the motors ready to fit tomorrow... will check if I can put in the motors and adjust the beams...,

Alignment was done on the lights though for them to be MOT compliant... they're aligned correctly I believe as they hit the same spot on my front door as the previous lights did when parked in my drive
Certainly needs investigating because the motors hold the beams in place. If there are no motors then maybe if you add them it could cause more problems because the motor might force something that's now fixed solid via something that's been retro fitted.

Proceed with caution bro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.