Upgrade from halogen to LCD?

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Upgrade from halogen to LCD?

Post by chesterflaps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi.

I have a 2017 LCI2 118d sport and wish I’d paid extra for LED headlights. The halogen beams are horrendous!

Does anyone know if it’s possible, easy and cheap to upgrade to LED? I’ve seen there are LED bulbs available but not sure if they’re worth changing to.

Does anyone have any experience of just changing halogen bulbs to LED?

Thanks.

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Upgrade from halogen to LCD?

Post by Bunford » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 am

It should be easy as changing to any bulb. I put a pair of Nighteye H7 bulbs into each headlight on my pre LCI E87 and worked fine. No warning, but had to use Carly to code out voltage test to stop flickering which took 2 minutes.
Last edited by Bunford on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by chesterflaps » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Bunford wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 am
It should be easy as changing to any bulb. I put a pair of Nighteye H7 bulbs into each headlight on my pre LCI E87 and worked fine. No warning, but had to use Carlyntonxodenoutnvoltagebtest to stop flickering which took 2 minutes.
They don’t have cooling fans on them which makes them overheat surely?

Not sure what the huge Latin-like word means to stop flickering

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 pm

chesterflaps wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:38 pm
Bunford wrote:
It should be easy as changing to any bulb. I put a pair of Nighteye H7 bulbs into each headlight on my pre LCI E87 and worked fine. No warning, but had to use Carlyntonxodenoutnvoltagebtest to stop flickering which took 2 minutes.

Was using phone and mistyped. Corrected my post now.

And yes, I have the ones with the red base and no fan. Did a 5+ hour night time drive the other day and no issues. Been in about 2 weeks and zero overheating issues for me.

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by chesterflaps » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Bunford wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 pm
chesterflaps wrote:
Bunford wrote:

And yes, I have the ones with the red base and no fan. Did a 5+ hour night time drive the other day and no issues. Been in about 2 weeks and zero overheating issues for me.
Thanks for the info.

I might take the plunge but I’m not sure what ‘using Carly’ means.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:19 am

Hi, I'm pretty certain that LED upgrades are currently illegal.

You will note that LED bulbs will be noted as suitable for off road use only.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:49 pm

GeeDee wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:19 am
Hi, I'm pretty certain that LED upgrades are currently illegal.

You will note that LED bulbs will be noted as suitable for off road use only.
Yup. This is true. But this is also why I have a set of halogen bulbs in the trunk to pop in if picked up on MOT or pulled over. However, my local indie that does my MOT will normally pass it fine as he has previously said that he is willing to turn a blind eye as long as beam is aligned properly etc as he does not see the logic in them being illegal as they are brighter and make driving safer for all. I guess it depends on the relationship you have with your mechanic.

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 pm

chesterflaps wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm
Bunford wrote:
chesterflaps wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Carly is an app for Android and iOS for coding BMW vehicles. BMWs by default normally have a bulb checking system that pulses a low voltage to all bulbs on start up and every couple of minutes to test that bulbs are fine. As LEDs operate on a much lower voltage than halogens, this pulse is enough to make the LEDs flicker whereas they do nothing for halogens. You need to use the app to code out this voltage checking, i.e. turn the function off, and you will then not get any flickering.

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by chesterflaps » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Bunford wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 pm
chesterflaps wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm
Bunford wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Carly is an app for Android and iOS for coding BMW vehicles. BMWs by default normally have a bulb checking system that pulses a low voltage to all bulbs on start up and every couple of minutes to test that bulbs are fine. As LEDs operate on a much lower voltage than halogens, this pulse is enough to make the LEDs flicker whereas they do nothing for halogens. You need to use the app to code out this voltage checking, i.e. turn the function off, and you will then not get any flickering.
Aha, thank you. Looks quite expensive what with £50 for the app and then however much for an adapter.

jono400
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jono400 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 am

Anyone else running LED headlamp bulbs ? anyone found any that wont require this carly app to get rid off the start up flickering ? work okay with non projectors ?
BMW 120 D msport convertible / E88

* Still looking for a set off Depos v2 *

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:44 pm

jono400 wrote:Anyone else running LED headlamp bulbs ? anyone found any that wont require this carly app to get rid off the start up flickering ? work okay with non projectors ?
As explained above jono, the LED’s run on lower voltage so will always flicker on start up (and also flicker occasionally while engine is on) unless coded out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Jeo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jeo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:07 pm

Twenny wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:44 pm
jono400 wrote:Anyone else running LED headlamp bulbs ? anyone found any that wont require this carly app to get rid off the start up flickering ? work okay with non projectors ?
As explained above jono, the LED’s run on lower voltage so will always flicker on start up (and also flicker occasionally while engine is on) unless coded out.

Twenny is it the same for HIDs too?
2011 E87 120d M Sport, Space Grey, BW Chiptune Map

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 pm

Jeo wrote:
Twenny wrote:

Twenny is it the same for HIDs too?
No they just warm up and give a very nice bright decent light output.

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:05 am

chesterflaps wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Aha, thank you. Looks quite expensive what with £50 for the app and then however much for an adapter.
Not as expensive as decent LED bulbs - at least when I recently looked when I was looking to upgrade my wife's car.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

jono400
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jono400 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:42 pm

Twenny wrote:

Okay thanks for that, anyone in the Dunfermline or surrounding area able to code this out for me ?

Anyone fitted them to a 2012 E88 ? be interested what particular bulbs you went for and how you found fitting as I know some off there are a nightmare to fit !!
BMW 120 D msport convertible / E88

* Still looking for a set off Depos v2 *

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”