Baby BMW Forum banner

My headlight story

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeo 
#1 ·
I started off with depos, but was never happy with the output or the blotchy angel eyes.

1st rebuild... Roll on 2017 and I bought a forum members "custom lights" for the Bi-xenons and angel eyes.
Stripped my depos and fitted the std bmw internals with the bi-xenon projectors fitted to the dipped beams and projector lenses to the inner main beams.

Ran it like this until start of this year, but still was not happy with them.
Output was far superior to the depos, but the inner main beams obviously didn`t project to not being focused properly in the std reflector and I didn`t like all the chrome. :cry:

Time for rebuild number 2.....
Ordered 2 new mini h1 bi-xenon projectors and 4 new `iris` shrouds from Retrofitlab

Stripped the chrome off the shrouds and the bmw internals and sprayed satin black.

Used the new bi-xenon projectors for dipped/main beam and the old bi-xenon projectors for inner main beams.

Mounting the outer bi-xenon projectors was simple, but due to lack of space, the inner projectors had to be seriously recessed. This involved cutting a 2 inch + hole in the main beam reflector and using bolts and jb weld to mount the inner projectors where I wanted them. This meant that the back cover didn`t fit, so had to be be modified.
Next was to remove the cut off shields from the inner projectors as I didn`t need 4 dipped beam. Inners are now main beam only, outers are dipped & main beam.

Testing before refitting fronts. Angel eyes at full brightness, They run like that as drl`s and dim to around 50% when dipped beams are on

Almost finished

All done :eek:

Angel eyes only

Dipped beam

Main beam

The full satin black may not be to everyone`s taste, but I`m finally happy with them --- for now..

See less See more
#5 ·
aj_mckay said:
Project sounds interesting, but I can only see the first two pictures then I get this...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tap on the image and then click follow the link and it takes you to the page buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
neilac said:
The rings are about 80mm.
They are just the `hot spots` , the wall was really close.
Ah ok fair enough on the hotspots.

80mm? So they're 20% smaller than original depo halo rings? Any reason why? I guess if they look even rings fair play but they look diddly in the headlight housing.

Like hobbit halos [emoji23]

#7 ·
Twenny said:
aj_mckay said:
Project sounds interesting, but I can only see the first two pictures then I get this...

Tap on the image and then click follow the link and it takes you to the page buddy

Not for me [emoji24] I hate Photobucket

#9 ·
Twenny said:
Yeah I get the same image come up but when I tap the photo I get the option to follow the link [emoji1360]

I did the same but it opened the page above [emoji849]

#10 ·
Moved pics to flickr. should be working?

The rings fitted the shrouds i wanted. I needed the iris shrouds as they were the perfect shape and size to fill the reflectors.

#11 ·
Nice. Yep all visible now [emoji1303]

You've done a good job aligning the 4 projectors to each other, but you might be able to get the hotspot up a bit by shimming the bulbs. H1 bulbs are notoriously 'dodgy' for that, but I'm sure you're well aware [emoji41]

#14 ·
quote=Sonic1506 post_id=1373827 time=1518085689 user_id=21423]
Did you buy those "Custom lights" off eBay? They look like my old ones that I sold on eBay for cheap lol.

I.e. these ones:

Either that or someone had identical ones made to the ones I had.
[/quote]

You sold your lights to me on here, not ebay.
That pic was after I'd stripped yours for the 2 projectors and rings, rebuilt intro my depos and scrapped the rest of yours. .
They were chrome internals in that pic, now satin black and with 4 projectors instead of 2.

#21 ·
Although it doesn't look like it, the car rolled.
I can remember being upside down and thinking oh sh1t.
I have dashcam footage, but it's all over so quick.
The only glass left on car is the windscreen. Everything I had in the boot got thrown out, including the parcel shelf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.