Baby BMW Forum banner

Xenon retrofit help

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bjt 
#1 ·
I currently have a set of depo V1 and picked up a set of OEM xenon's. I'm guessing these are not plug and play like this depos were and will require extra work. I did a quick search and couldn't find a how to. Is there a guide on this anywhere? I have read that I will need to run some extra wiring to the hear light and code that care afterwards. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Lol mate you're going to need a lot more than that.

Is your FRM module up to spec?

Level motor arm (I think is also required)

Washer jets otherwise it's an MOT fail

Coding too.

Can't remember but there are atleast 2 members that have successfully done this job. I just can't remember who lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Twenny said:
Lol mate you're going to need a lot more than that.

Is your FRM module up to spec?

Level motor arm (I think is also required)

Washer jets otherwise it's an MOT fail

Coding too.

Can't remember but there are atleast 2 members that have successfully done this job. I just can't remember who lol

I was thinking I might get away with it :lol2:

I'm not sure what version of FRM I have. I have a 2008 car. Is there anyway to check what version it is without taking it out? Someone in another post mentioned that it will work if I have FRM2. Will it work or would I need a FRM3?

I'm not sure if I have a level motor arm.

My car already has the pop-up washers on the bumpers

I'm aware it will need some coding. I should be able to do that.

I think mihad is one of them. Not sure about the other

#5 ·
#6 ·
Twenny said:
Boombap said:
Bjt has done it and posted all the relevant info

Leveling arms and washer jets aren't required, unless the MOT rules have changed.
You're right they haven't changed. Both an MOT fail.

O
Not an MOT fail, otherwise BJT and others wouldn't have passed their MOT without them ;)

They are only tested if fitted:

#7 ·
Boombap said:
Twenny said:
Boombap said:
Bjt has done it and posted all the relevant info

Leveling arms and washer jets aren't required, unless the MOT rules have changed.
You're right they haven't changed. Both an MOT fail.

O
Not an MOT fail, otherwise BJT and others wouldn't have passed their MOT without them [emoji6]

They are only tested if fitted:

This is taken directly from the VOSA MOT I linked above -

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.
This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles tted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and tted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT
test, vehicles tted with after-market HID systems would also need to be tted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems. Some high speci cation estate cars are tted with a self- levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose.

Although I must add that it looks like my depos should fail also so I won't shout too loudly lol

#8 ·
kas206 said:
Is there a guide on this anywhere?
All the info is here You'll probably need a different FRM (module that controls the lights). Either FRM2 XE or FRM3 XE/MAX. Quarry Motors is a good source.

Regarding the MOT, mine passed last year without comment.
The VOSA note that was posted above dates from 2011, so the current MOT testing manual (April 2013) supercedes it.
It clearly states that washers and a levelling system may not be fitted, and that they can only be tested if fitted.
This is because there are cars out there without washers/levellers from the factory, e.g. Mitsubishi Evo.
Don't think our Mini with LED lights has washers either, and they're far brighter than the E8x Xenons.

If you keep the halogen light switch and code them correctly, the manual level control will still work, so you can bump them down a bit if you have a heavy load in the boot.

#9 ·
bjt said:
kas206 said:
Is there a guide on this anywhere?
All the info is here You'll probably need a different FRM (module that controls the lights). Either FRM2 XE or FRM3 XE/MAX. Quarry Motors is a good source.

Regarding the MOT, mine passed last year without comment.
The VOSA note that was posted above dates from 2011, so the current MOT testing manual (April 2013) supercedes it.
It clearly states that washers and a levelling system may not be fitted, and that they can only be tested if fitted.
This is because there are cars out there without washers/levellers from the factory, e.g. Mitsubishi Evo.
Don't think our Mini with LED lights has washers either, and they're far brighter than the E8x Xenons.

If you keep the halogen light switch and code them correctly, the manual level control will still work, so you can bump them down a bit if you have a heavy load in the boot.
Thanks for that. I'll have a little read of that thread now.

So getting a updated FRM and adding a few extra wiring along with coding is all that's needed to do this retrofit?

What does the level motor arm do and is it needed?

#10 ·
kas206 said:
So getting a updated FRM and adding a few extra wiring along with coding is all that's needed to do this retrofit?

What does the level motor arm do and is it needed?
Yep.

The arm connects the level sensor to the suspension. Needed if you install the level sensors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.