Baby BMW Forum banner

Best place/website to buy 6000k HID xenon lights?

5K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  Albertpeter 
#1 ·
Okay so I wasted £16 on a full set of H7 xenon 55W bulbs on eBay thinking they would be good, and they were, for about a week. There not as bright as I was hoping they would be so this time I wanna get the proper kit for my car however there is so much to choose from so got no idea what to go for, and obvo it's got to be road legal ect blah blah blah.
Iv looked on eBay, Mstyle and one or two other sites but I'm a bit worried about if the ballasts would fit inside the head light units aswell
Can anyone advise me please :)

#3 ·
I'll have a look.
There just standard halogens with a blue tinge to them inside the original head light units.

#6 ·
You can't put HID's them.. You'll never get them legal and they won't benefit you, be wasting your money again. They won't look that good either.

I got HID's in my car which haven't been legalised because my car doesn't need a MOT, which I would fail most probably if I tried. The only way your HID's will look good is if you change your headlight units to depo's like a lot of the members on here including me.

Those are my depo's with a 6000K HID Kit, but the colours come out a bit wrong with my camera.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Don't look the best unless theyre in projector lenses as said above

Also, the ballasts don't go inside the headlight they go behind it somewhere

And they will fail an mot unless your car has projectors, self levelling lights, headlamp washers ( most cars with all these functions tend to he fitted with xenons already )

Depo's would possibly be a good route, I had hid's in regular halogen lenses before and hid the ballasts so they were out the road, never got pulled once! Think some areas are stricter than others. But admittedly, the beam is too scattered and you become one of they douschbags that blinds you coming up the road because they're fitted to a car that they arnt supposed to be lol

#9 ·
Yep you'll need a set of them first, and there's a lot of confusion if HID's actually need the headlamp washers and ride height sensors or not as far as I remember, as I ain't got either of them, so that's why I'm not sure if I'll pass my MOT when its due.

I got mine off eBay and paid about £220. I brought my HID's separately off eBay as well for about £60. I got them fitted at mstyle, because in order to change the units over you need to take the front bumper off, and ballasts won't fit inside the headlight unit itself. The HID's kit comes with brackets for the ballasts which are mounted in the engine bay. I'll take a picture of where my ballasts are tomorrow and show you if you want

#10 ·
muz1990 - I think my car has self levelling projectors but thats about it from that list lol.

I'm not out to blind people lol I can't stand it when it happens to me.

RHK3 - if you could take A photo that would be a good help. Yeah I have looked into installing them and I have been all over my car to see how many bolts there are and what's involved in taking the bumper off. I wouldn't mind having a go myself however I would go nuts if I broke something lol. Surly where you had yours installed they would have warned you if you had to change it all over if your car wouldn't go through an MOT.

#11 ·
Think I need to look into what's legal and what's not. I dont fancy changing Light units every time an MOT is due. So if my car isn't ment to have them then I might go for the osram night breaker plus bulbs instead. They seem to get a good enough rating from people on here.

#12 ·
Your car won't have self levellers, they will have the manual levellers (switch is where you turn the lights on, numbered 0-3) and they don't count as self levellers obviously.

Blinding people is because they either have HID's that are too bright, the higher the number the brighter they'll be, but the light output on the road will be less, or they have them in reflector headlight units.

Okay I'll post one tomorrow. I didn't even attempt to change them myself lol. I got mine fitted just before the MOT rules changed, so at the time I got mine fitted they were legal, but now the rules have changed and there not that clear to be honest lol

#13 ·
Ryan58 said:
Think I need to look into what's legal and what's not. I dont fancy changing Light units every time an MOT is due. So if my car isn't ment to have them then I might go for the osram night breaker plus bulbs instead. They seem to get a good enough rating from people on here.
Yep they are meant to be pretty good, I think a few members on here use them and have said they are good. and you won't need to change the whole unit each time, only the bulbs are the problem, the unit themselves are fine.

#14 ·
Oh I see lol. That's a bummer then. Ill have a hunt round online maybe call a few MOT centres up and see what they will accept and I'll post back on here what I find (if anything). I think the side lights in mine now wouldn't let the car pass an MOT as they are pure dark blue (I read that somewhere on here aswell)

#15 ·
Only if the light emitted from your sidelight is blue then they'll fail, but if the glass is just blue, this makes the light emitted from the bulbs white

#16 ·
Iv got two spair and don't mind changing them before as that only take a few mins.

Just had a quick look and found this:
HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective. Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.
From this website :
Im leaning more towards osrams now lol.

#17 ·
Lol I'm guessing that means I will fail my MOT most definitely, once my car is due. But I think it also depends on the brightness of the HID's, if you have HID's which are like 10000K or more you'll fail, mine are way more subtle then that, and even when I've driven my brothers car and he's been behind me in my car, my lights haven't bothered me at all. So I guess I'll find out one day lol

#18 ·
Might be worth just double checking with who ever you will have your MOT done by. Possibly getting some cheap standard units to swop before the MOT if needs must. I think the higher the number the more of a colour the light gives off, some seem to go from blue to almost a purple like colour. Manufactures normally recommend 6000k to 8000k for brightest and most white colour available.

#19 ·
Yep I'm going to have too.. Yh once the number gets too high they go more towards a purple colour, also the light output from the higher numbers is worse. 4300K gives the best output but the colour is still yellow, so 6000K is right in the middle, and rated the best for colour and output, as its whiteish bluey kind of colour. Looks a lot like original xenons but not as good

#20 ·
6000k isnt in the middle, its really blue and honestly chavvy!!! 4800k is better, 3800 is manufacturer standard. 4200 is nice also, but avoid 6000k, the higher up the kelvin chart. you go, the further the usable light ouput diminishes, so you are defeating fitting xenons. I hate the current trend of boy racers with bright blue hids in reflector lenses which are blinding. Only suggesting what I think is best imo :)

#21 ·
6000k isnt in the middle, its really blue and honestly chavvy!!! 4800k is better, 3800 is manufacturer standard. 4200 is nice also, but avoid 6000k, the higher up the kelvin chart. you go, the further the usable light ouput diminishes, so you are defeating fitting xenons. I hate the current trend of boy racers with bright blue hids in reflector lenses which are blinding. Only suggesting what I think is best imo :)

#23 ·
kjb1 said:
6000K is not really blue.. I got them in my car, I think I would know what they look like

#26 ·
4800K is still yellow isn't it, I know the light output is a lot better with 4800K but 6000K are more white then anything with a hint of blue. I know my picture looks like a completely different colour but its because of the light and my phone, because they don't look like that at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.