Angel Eyes & HID's FAQ's

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Angel Eyes & HID's FAQ's

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:28 am

rockford22 wrote:
Sonic1506 wrote:
JJB wrote:I'm removing my bumper as we speak to install the lights. I removed all screws, however, I am unable to pry loose the two sides of the bumper. Could I please get some advise on this step?
You only need to pull on the two sides to "pop" it out, then it just "falls" away, there are two bolts inside the arch that needs removing that tripped me up when I was taking my bumper off. There's also 4 or 5 behind the mesh grill on M Sports (not sure if non M Sport has the bolts in same location).
Having just done this with an SE bumper the bolts sre in thebexact same locations, although there is no need to remove the mesh, it all comes away with the bumper.
Not on M Sports it doesn't Mesh has to be removed as there are bolts behind there.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

JJB

Post by JJB » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:54 pm

I really recommend the upgrade to HID, I am so happy with my light output, especially during the bad weather I had last week.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:56 pm

JJB wrote:I really recommend the upgrade to HID, I am so happy with my light output, especially during the bad weather I had last week.
What HID kit are you using?

I've tried all compatible kits from HID's Direct and all throw up errors :(
2010 118i ///M Sport

gordon513

Post by gordon513 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:20 am

Hello everyone,

I have been doing loads and loads of reading I promise! :!:

Just can't decide on whether to go for V1 or V2 depos? I want the 5000k white lights on the angel eyes so I know with the V1's I would have to swap the bulbs to LEDs. I also know with the V2's I would get the 'white light' as standard in the angel eyes but if any of the bulbs were to blow I would have to get a whole new light!

My real question is are the angel eyes on the v2 much better than the v1 with the led bulb conversion? because I realise that the v2 probably have a lot more LEDs which I presume makes the light more continuous around the angel eyes? rather than just having 4 bulbs in the V1?

What does everyone think?

ALSO
colour wise what our peoples opinions? My car is sapphire black but ATM it is Matte black. I don't know whether to go for black or silver depos? I think that silver does look better but not completely sure.

Cheers,
Gabriel

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:30 am

gordon513 wrote:Hello everyone,

Just can't decide on whether to go for V1 or V2 depos? I want the 5000k white lights on the angel eyes so I know with the V1's I would have to swap the bulbs to LEDs. I also know with the V2's I would get the 'white light' as standard in the angel eyes but if any of the bulbs were to blow I would have to get a whole new light!

My real question is are the angel eyes on the v2 much better than the v1 with the led bulb conversion? because I realise that the v2 probably have a lot more LEDs which I presume makes the light more continuous around the angel eyes? rather than just having 4 bulbs in the V1?

ALSO
colour wise what our peoples opinions? My car is sapphire black but ATM it is Matte black. I don't know whether to go for black or silver depos? I think that silver does look better but not completely sure.

Cheers,
Gabriel
I went for V2 because the halos are better than in the V1. Coincidentally they'll be up for sale with my 6k hid kit next week.
2010 118i ///M Sport

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:37 am

Joe wrote:

ALSO

Cheers,
Gabriel
I went for V2 because the halos are better than in the V1. Coincidentally they'll be up for sale with my 6k hid kit next week.
According to Smithson, if you have an LCI car and you buy V2's, warranty will not be honoured as they are for Pre-LCI cars only. Not sure how true this is however.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:29 am

1 series units are universal fit across all E8x cars.

Regarding warrenty I highly doubt it's transferable between users regardless.
2010 118i ///M Sport

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:40 am

Joe wrote:1 series units are universal fit across all E8x cars.

I think you misread what I said.

Smithson has a set of DEPO V2's (I believe). Not sure where he got them from BUT the LED blew and he went back to his seller to get a replacement. The seller turned around and said no due to the lights being on a Facelift Car. The seller then said that V2's are the Pre-Facelift and must be fitted to Pre-Facelift to honour the warranty or something along those lines.

He said it on the "What did you do to your 1 Series today" thread but it's going back a few pages.

I know all E8x lights will fit on all E8x cars and warranty between users will not be transferable.

So I do believe you misread what I said.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:52 am

Yeah I get what your saying :)

They work fine on Facelift cars and being second hand no warrenty so doesn't matter regardless I suppose :?
2010 118i ///M Sport

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:02 am

Joe wrote:Yeah I get what your saying :)

They work fine on Facelift cars and being second hand no warrenty so doesn't matter regardless I suppose :?
Yup :). :D.

gordon513

Post by gordon513 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 am

Sonic1506 wrote:
Joe wrote:

ALSO

Cheers,
Gabriel
According to Smithson, if you have an LCI car and you buy V2's, warranty will not be honoured as they are for Pre-LCI cars only. Not sure how true this is however.
Joe wrote:1 series units are universal fit across all E8x cars.

Does anyone know why they made them so the LEDs cant be changed? Seems ridiculous that you have to buy a whole new light if one LED goes but I suppose they just want to get as much money out of you as possible. Can you buy a single headlight if one goes or do you have buy the set?

This makes the V1 look more attractive but then I do really want good angel eyes which points towards the V2.

AHHHHH difficult decisions

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am

gordon513 wrote: Does anyone know why they made them so the LEDs cant be changed? Seems ridiculous that you have to buy a whole new light if one LED goes but I suppose they just want to get as much money out of you as possible. Can you buy a single headlight if one goes or do you have buy the set?

This makes the V1 look more attractive but then I do really want good angel eyes which points towards the V2.

AHHHHH difficult decisions
Pretty sure they come as pairs only.

They probably decided to go all LED ring to give it a more uniform look on the ring compared to the 4 "spots of light" on the V1.

gordon513

Post by gordon513 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:55 am

Sonic1506 wrote:

They probably decided to go all LED ring to give it a more uniform look on the ring compared to the 4 "spots of light" on the V1.
Yeah probably, but if you can't change individual LEDs, surely it would make sense to be able to change the whole ring if it goes?

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:00 pm

As sonic said V1 gives you 4 stops of light. This looks rubbish speaking from first hand experience that's why I then went for V2. If a bulb went I'd split the unit and add a better ring. Loads of people have started doing it and I doubt it'll be long before a member starts doing it on the side.
2010 118i ///M Sport

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:01 pm

gordon513 wrote:
Sonic1506 wrote:

Yeah probably, but if you can't change individual LEDs, surely it would make sense to be able to change the whole ring if it goes?
You could do by splitting the lights but then you'd need to change rings in pairs or both rings in both headlights to keep the same brightness I assume. Much like changing HID bulbs if one blows, it's advisable to change them in pairs as if you only change one, most of the time, the older light will be darker/dimmer/different colour to the new light.

Mihad1 can split the DEPO's and he's changed his Depo rings for LED rings which are much better as Joe has mentioned :).

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”