Angel Eyes & HID's FAQ's

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis

gordon513

Re: Angel Eyes & HID's FAQ's

Post by gordon513 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
gordon513 wrote:
Sonic1506 wrote:
Pretty sure they come as pairs only.

They probably decided to go all LED ring to give it a more uniform look on the ring compared to the 4 "spots of light" on the V1.
Yeah probably, but if you can't change individual LEDs, surely it would make sense to be able to change the whole ring if it goes?
You could do by splitting the lights but then you'd need to change rings in pairs or both rings in both headlights to keep the same brightness I assume. Much like changing HID bulbs if one blows, it's advisable to change them in pairs as if you only change one, most of the time, the older light will be darker/dimmer/different colour to the new light.

Mihad1 can split the DEPO's and he's changed his Depo rings for LED rings which are much better as Joe has mentioned :).
Joe wrote:As sonic said V1 gives you 4 stops of light. This looks rubbish speaking from first hand experience that's why I then went for V2. If a bulb went I'd split the unit and add a better ring. Loads of people have started doing it and I doubt it'll be long before a member starts doing it on the side.

Okay thank you both, that makes me feel a little bit better about the V2's

laxman85

Post by laxman85 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:33 am

Hi, I'm new to this and need help.

Got my depo v1 today and read all about changing the LEDs in the ring to make it more white but I've tried to take the old ones out and am struggling can someone tell me how ? I've tried pulling but scared I'll pull the wires out and not bulb out the headlights thanks.

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by redwizard » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:29 pm

laxman85 wrote:Hi, I'm new to this and need help.

Got my depo v1 today and read all about changing the LEDs in the ring to make it more white but I've tried to take the old ones out and am struggling can someone tell me how ? I've tried pulling but scared I'll pull the wires out and not bulb out the headlights thanks.
If you have new DEPO v1's then you should have halogen glowworms in the rings not LEDs.

You have to remove the complete halo ring string from each unit, replace each bulb in turn, and (after a quick test) replace the wiring string.

It's all pull and push, you shouldn't be able to break anything, remember that LEDs have polarity (match + sign with red lead, if you get it wrong, it won't break, just doesn't light up) and once the string is all back in place make sure that the LEDs are rotated to shine around the ring.

Fiddly, but easy.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

laxman85

Post by laxman85 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:00 pm

sorry to sound stupid how would i go about removing the halo string??

Thanks

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:28 pm

laxman85 wrote:sorry to sound stupid how would i go about removing the halo string??

Thanks
Take the back cover off and work your way 'round the string pulling each mini-bulb unit out in turn.
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

laxman85

Post by laxman85 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi, what is the most recommended HID kit to get fro depo v1??

many thanks

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:14 pm

The most basic canbus kits work best with 1ers funnily enough.

I tried canbus pro and terminator kits finally settling with a basic canbus kit working the best.

All from HIDs Direct.
2010 118i ///M Sport

laxman85

Post by laxman85 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Did the others not work or was it a choice to go basic ?

Jamie_B_85

Post by Jamie_B_85 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:55 pm

I have Xenon's on my car and want to change the Angel Eyes bulb for LED.

Does anyone know what type of bulb I require to save me checking, as I've been told its tight to change bulbs?

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Jamie_B_85 wrote:I have Xenon's on my car and want to change the Angel Eyes bulb for LED.

Does anyone know what type of bulb I require to save me checking, as I've been told its tight to change bulbs?
It depends on the type of your xenons.

If pre-facelift - you're probably out of luck as I don't think there's any made in that fitting.

If facelift - H8 fitting -
I use Bimmian - http://www.bimmian.com/87/ixb
but cheaper options are available - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-12W-E92-E ... 3cc9961c93

Jamie_B_85

Post by Jamie_B_85 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Pre-Facelift :(

Jamie_B_85

Post by Jamie_B_85 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:14 pm

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would these work on my pre-facelift?

Kind of looks like the bulb holder and the connection looks the same, no? :?

ndoug
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ndoug » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi, sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't see it when skimming through.

I've just bought some depos v2, forte and they're spot on. The headlight beam seems slightly high, even on the lowest setting, but I think it's fine.

Anyway, I digress, I'm just wondering about the excess cable that comes out the back of the headlight. Is it a case of letting it just hang their?
Thanks in advance, Nick.
SilverE87/118dMsport/HeatedLeather/F+R Pdc/ExtStorage
DeposV2-Hids/Darklines/DpfEgrDelete/Remap

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:54 pm

Any change of headlights should be following by a trip to an MOT station or such like to re-align them.

Hanging wires? No idea, I've only previously had DEPO V1's (now long gone) - can you give us a photo?

ndoug
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ndoug » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:18 am

redwizard wrote:Any change of headlights should be following by a trip to an MOT station or such like to re-align them.

Hanging wires? No idea, I've only previously had DEPO V1's (now long gone) - can you give us a photo?
Thanks for the reply. As for the headlight alignment I can do it myself at my garage so hopefully this weekend.

I'll get a pic today and post it up, thanks.
Nick
SilverE87/118dMsport/HeatedLeather/F+R Pdc/ExtStorage
DeposV2-Hids/Darklines/DpfEgrDelete/Remap

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”