Baby BMW Forum banner

E87 LCI Rear Lights - How to have the bars light up?

69K views 94 replies 21 participants last post by  C3_ 
#1 ·
As the title states, I've got these lights (Which are the low versions, I assume, because I don't have Xenons).

How do I go about having the bars lighting up as per these images? I would like them to be DRL's for the rear as I already have my sidelights coded to be DRL's at the front (for when I refit my custom quad projector angel eye headlights):

I did a search but nothing came up for LCI, only pre-LCI.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think i've retrofitted the same "Low" version lights.

Ever noticed on the bulb holder there was a slot with a bulb missing near to where the LED lines would be? Just wondering what would happen if a bulb was in place. :?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think lighting them up on "Low" versions is even possible though.

I think its been done with the "High" ones by drawing power with a wire from the license plate lights to light each of the the LED strips. You can modify the wire harness connectors to fit in the LCI lights.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#3 ·
They are 2 different units, Blackbmw120d has called 1st dibs when I get the darklines otherwise I would offer them you, a basic fit will mean running wires to the number plates lights, otherwise new frm and full wiring to get them to run as drl

-------------------------
Monacoblau e87 1m

#5 ·
I think they can on carly app but I'm not 100%

Monacoblau e87 1m

#6 ·
Ok Graeme no longer wants them so when I get my new ones I'll put them up in the fs section car won't be back till 10th of October so will be after then sometime if you dont get any before then

Monacoblau e87 1m

#10 ·
I ordered the high versions from Cotswold (my car has factory halogens, e87 LCI) and then I taped into the license plate wiring. I then coded the led number plate light as DRLs therefore the led strips stay on all the time. Only other thing needed is to code the other normal lights out to avoid the Xmas tree effect. See pics attached. Wibbles can help you with that as he did for me. [emoji5]

Xmas tree effect

After coding, sorry don't have any day shots, let me know if you want them I can take some tomorrow.

#18 ·
Sorry I forgot to reply, I still need to double check but I'm sure the leds stay on during the day but it's hard to tell. Leds are designed to be long lasting anyway, also if they go out the numberplate ones are the easiest to replace aswell.

Maybe you could just wire the LEDS to an ignition live feed if not? So when the cars running they are on?

But I didn't need to splice any wiring to the numberplate lights as I found a bare end to the existing wiring.

Maybe it will be easier to explain if I do a how to guide?

Kingkhan07

#19 ·
kingkhan07 said:
Sorry I forgot to reply, I still need to double check but I'm sure the leds stay on during the day but it's hard to tell. Leds are designed to be long lasting anyway, also if they go out the numberplate ones are the easiest to replace aswell.

Maybe you could just wire the LEDS to an ignition live feed if not? So when the cars running they are on?

But I didn't need to splice any wiring to the numberplate lights as I found a bare end to the existing wiring.

Kingkhan07
I'd be interested to see a 'how to' for this.

#21 ·
kingkhan07 said:

Kingkhan07
A guide would be very helpful, if you don't mind and have the time :).

#24 ·
Apologies I've been ill the past few days, hasn't helped with it raining quite badly the past few days. I will upload the pictures tonight.
Just wanted to also confirm the LED number plate lights stay on all the time hardly noticeable during the day.

#25 ·
kingkhan07 said:
Apologies I've been ill the past few days, hasn't helped with it rating quite badly the past few days. I will upload the pictures tonight.
Just wanted to also confirm the LED number plate lights stay on all the time hardly noticeable during the day.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Ah I'd like to avoid that personally :(. Hope you get better soon.

Just to confirm, did you go from LCI Lows to LCI Highs?

#26 ·
Sonic1506 said:
kingkhan07 said:
Apologies I've been ill the past few days, hasn't helped with it rating quite badly the past few days. I will upload the pictures tonight.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Ah I'd like to avoid that personally :(. Hope you get better soon.

Just to confirm, did you go from LCI Lows to LCI Highs?
Yes LCI low to highs, if you don't want to connect to led plate lights then you could always connect to ignition live feed from the cigarette lighter in the boot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.