Baby BMW Forum banner

LED bulbs.

7K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  oliverpool 
#1 ·
Hi i have added some LED bulbs to the rear of the car. I have noticed whilst the engine is on the lights will flicker ever so slightly randomly whilst turned off. Does the car need coding? Thanks :).

#2 ·
As I've just put some leds in my high beams and they flicker if you have the iCarly app I got informed you can change turn the voltage check off. Did u get a warning on dash. If u don't have the app then yes coding will be required to turn it off

#3 ·
Also is it a e series you have as f series icarly isn't out yet I don't think

#5 ·
Only person I could advise is wibbles on here send him a pm mate

#6 ·
Your cars will need coding so that they recognise the bulbs as LED. I can advise where to look if you have a cable / E-Sys etc. If you're North-West based near to Preston I can do it for you.
Lee if you're free this Saturday I can sort it for you; you have my number...

#7 ·
xxxcorps said:
Your cars will need coding so that they recognise the bulbs as LED. I can advise where to look if you have a cable / E-Sys etc. If you're North-West based near to Preston I can do it for you.
Many thanks for coding my car on Wednesday night. Everything is a ok :D.
:band: :spotman:

#10 ·
xxxcorps said:
Chris5188 said:
xxxcorps said:
Your cars will need coding so that they recognise the bulbs as LED.
Could you direct me how to do this on E-Sys. I have cable and software etc.
Which bulbs are you changing Chris?
Rear indicators at the moment, which are flickering every 1min with 20secs between left and right.

Looking to do Brake lights in the rear cluster too.

#11 ·
Code the following...

FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Front-Left Turn Signal Bulb Cold Monitoring
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Front-Left Turn Signal Bulb Warm Monitoring
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_L_IS_LED aktiv Enables Front-Left LED bulb
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Front-Right Turn Signal Bulb Cold Monitoring
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Front-Right Turn Signal Bulb Warm Monitoring
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_R_IS_LED aktiv Enables Front-Right LED bulb
REM FRA_H_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Rear-Left Turn Signal Bulb Cold Monitoring
REM FRA_H_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Rear-Left Turn Signal Bulb Warm Monitoring
REM FRA_H_L_IS_LED aktiv Enables Rear-Left LED bulb
REM FRA_H_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Rear-Right Turn Signal Bulb Cold Monitoring
REM FRA_H_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Rear-Right Turn Signal Bulb Warm Monitoring
REM FRA_H_R_IS_LED aktiv Enables Rear-Right LED bulb

Also in the REM cafd follow the above methodology for the following if they appear:

AL
FL
NSW
BIX
SL
KZL single no L/R
BL_M single no L/R
SL_2
BL
BFD
NSL
RFS

#13 ·
This thread has got me back to an issue i had a while ago with Led reverse light and gave up on.

I wonder if anyone has managed to get reverse lights to stop flickering.

As we only have the 1 reverse light in the M135i i ordered an extra bright cob led (canbus) which is the nuts but flickers due to the warm check.

Coded REM
RFS_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG
RFS_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG
&
RFS_L_IS_LED
RFS_R_IS_LED

Did both left and right as i couldn't work out if it was left from the front of the vehicle or the rear so coded them both as there is only 1 reverse light anyway.

No joy, still flickers every few mins with the warm check.. Ended up putting the standard bulb back in again but would love to fix it and put that bright sucker back in again... People might have a fighting chance to see when im reversing out of a parking space then...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Coded this at the weekend xxxcorps and worked like a charm cheers for the list :)

Code the FEM BODY FDL then move onto the REM, I deactivated all the cold and warm monitoring tabs and activated all the LED bulb activation.

Once REM was done coded that afterwards and well.... :spotman:

#16 ·
Must have missed something.. Still get a flashing reverse bulb...

Couldn't find anything valid under Fem_body
Changed under rem as above the warmcheck to nicht_activ & werte 00, and is_led to activ and werte 01...

All written okay and verified but still it flashes on warm check...

Must be doing something wrong.. Searched everywhere for rfs (which i believe is for reverse light).. Didn't want to mess with dualsp and load dump settings as these didn't seem relevant, but all others i think i have coded correctly..

#18 ·
bart67 said:
Must have missed something.. Still get a flashing reverse bulb...

Couldn't find anything valid under Fem_body
Changed under rem as above the warmcheck to nicht_activ & werte 00, and is_led to activ and werte 01...

All written okay and verified but still it flashes on warm check...

Must be doing something wrong.. Searched everywhere for rfs (which i believe is for reverse light).. Didn't want to mess with dualsp and load dump settings as these didn't seem relevant, but all others i think i have coded correctly..

These are definitely in FEM_BODY in both a 2016 F21 and a 2012 F20. Which ones exactly are still flickering that you have swapped out?

FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Front-Left Turn Signal Bulb Cold Monitoring
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Front-Left Turn Signal Bulb Warm Monitoring
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_L_IS_LED aktiv Enables Front-Left LED bulb
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Front-Right Turn Signal Bulb Cold Monitoring
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv Turns off Front-Right Turn Signal Bulb Warm Monitoring
FEM_BODY 3061 FRA_V_R_IS_LED aktiv Enables Front-Right LED bulb

#19 ·
Im only trying to get an LED reverse light working, nothing else..
On a Nov build 2013 M135i...

Any ideas more than welcome, ive reached the end of my understanding on this one... Thought i only needed to turn off warm check and enable the is_led, but there must be another hidden parameter somewhere that needs changing, darned if i can find it....

#20 ·
You've missed doing KALTUEBERWACHUNG (cold check) to nicht_activ...

Each bulb set has 3 settings that need to be edited; one set of three for each side as follows:

KALTUEBERWACHUNG (Cold monitor). Set to nicht_activ

WARMUEBERWACHUNG (Warm monitor). Set to nicht _active

IS_LED. Set to activ

So do each L & R item in REM as follows:
e.g. BL_L & BL_R

SL2
BL
BFD
NSL
RFS

#21 ·
Might be my misunderstanding then, i thought cold check was only for when u first start (ignition on) and warm check was a constant poll at circa 5min duration..

I left cold check on as i wanted a notification if the bulb was out when i first start the car..

From your reply it seems i have to turn off all checks (cold & warm) to stop the flickering when the car is on.. Is this correct?

#22 ·
bart67 said:
From your reply it seems i have to turn off all checks (cold & warm) to stop the flickering when the car is on.. Is this correct?
Absolutely. Don't forget; you've told the car there's an LED bulb present so it'll let you know if it's out. Sorry I can't be more precise on which the reserve bulb setting is. I'd just go through each one until you find it. Probably when you do; post on here for whoever does this after you.
Try the RFS one first maybe...

#23 ·
xxxcorps said:
When we meet up in a few weeks I may take a cable off you and software and have a go myself at this kinda thing for when I do swap out to led bulbs. I'm a .net and Python developer so I should be able to get my head around this coding malarkey easy enough, will pester you about it in a few weeks, pick up car March 1st and andy235 and myself will come see you.

#26 ·
xxxcorps said:
Hi mate, do you have the code for the front dipped head light bulbs? I have added led bulbs and it has error code bulb fault.
Thanks Lee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.