Baby BMW Forum banner

Standard Rear Bulbs to LED

10K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  RBS Bob 
#1 ·
Just recently done a little swap out on my M140,
It slightly irritated me how the rear indicators were not LED and didn't match the rest of the car.

So ordered a couple of bulbs off amazon and decided to swap the indicator, brake and reverse ones. Looks much better now. Also no errors and I've not had any flickering.

Word of advise to anyone, the rear lights are a right royal pain to get off. So I wedged a microfibre underneath in between light and bumper to avoid any scuffs.

#3 ·
DomAdams said:
Looking at doing this to my M240i as they much much better.
Does the 1 series have 3 brake bulbs per side similar to the 2 series?
Did you use the same white bulbs from amazon for the brake lights and how do they look?
Yeah they definitely improve the appearance and light output.
Just 1 bulb for brake, 1 indicator and 1 reverse per side. I used the white ones for all as it's a coloured lense what gives it the colour.

#4 ·
Yup. The tail lights are a serious PITA to get out.

That and removing the bulb holders without dropping bulbs in to the lenses.

I've also done a full taillight led conversion on my M135i and its a subtle change but imo makes a noticeable and improved difference!

Not only that, but light output is improved too, especially for the indicators.

My video of before and after below for the indicators:

Edit: you'll also need to code out bulb voltage monitoring to prevent bulb flicker.

#5 ·
Looks good. Going to order some for my M140 and the wife's 420 too.

#6 ·
Fitted my bulbs but getting the dab cutting out when I brake or put car in reverse. Hopefully when I code the led bulbs check this will improve if not will remove the brake bulbs which is disappointing.

#7 ·
So coded the bulb check out with carly and still dab cutting out so think will remove the led bulbs I purchased. Bit disappointed that they didn't work.

#8 ·
I replaced brake and indicator bulbs and have had no DAB issues (yet). I used only bulbs advertised as CREE (brand of LED) and CANBUS friendly (prevents need for coding)

They were roughly £10 a bulb so a fairly pricey conversion - but IIRC the DAB issues are caused by lower quality circuitry handling the voltage for the LED.

My only question is - do we still get 'bulb out' warnings from the vehicle?

#13 ·
#19 ·
I did a full LED rear conversion on my 2014 M140i, it's a night and day difference. Used the £16 LED bulbs from Autobulbsdirect. Must admit I did scratch my bumper though [emoji31] Who designed the cluster to have metal pointy bits on the back?!!

#20 ·
M--O--L--E said:
I did a full LED rear conversion on my 2014 M140i, it's a night and day difference. Used the £16 LED bulbs from Autobulbsdirect. Must admit I did scratch my bumper though [emoji31] Who designed the cluster to have metal pointy bits on the back?!!
Can you link which exact bulbs you purchased, please?

Also, 1156 is single action (on/off), whereas 1157 is dual action (for those cars that require dual action (half and full) brake lights. We don't need the dual action for the brake lights right?

Where is the bulb that makes up the two long red lights across the M140 cluster?

#22 ·
Pep675cc said:
I'm sure the long one is led.
Just saw one switch on and off and pretty certain you are right. LED.
Don't think I can justify £16 x 6 to switch to LED lol.

#23 ·
RBS Bob said:
£20 a pair from Halfords.

No errors, no DAB loss and no coding for me. Just replaced standard bulbs.

Indicators done, brake lights done and driving lights done. All fine.

Just need another pair for reverse lights and the whole car is LED.
Hi Bob, a few months on, do you have any issues with these? Thinking of using these as I've got a trade card (should reduce price slightly) Also, what model is it you used them on? I've an F20 which I'm wanting to change. Thanks!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

#25 ·
FurnyBaby said:
RBS Bob said:
£20 a pair from Halfords.

No errors, no DAB loss and no coding for me. Just replaced standard bulbs.

Indicators done, brake lights done and driving lights done. All fine.

Just need another pair for reverse lights and the whole car is LED.
Hi Bob, a few months on, do you have any issues with these? Thinking of using these as I've got a trade card (should reduce price slightly) Also, what model is it you used them on? I've an F20 which I'm wanting to change. Thanks!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
To be honest some DAB stations do cut out while breaking. Kisstory breaks. Absolute does not.

It may be due to the strength of the DAB signal.

So I just keep to FM or stream from my phone.

Still zero errors on the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.