MHD Cable issue

Get more out of your engine by remapping, tuning & chipping

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

jc848

MHD Cable issue

Post by jc848 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi,

Been looking through old threads and decided to get myself the cables for MHD as it appears to be a good way to scan and clear codes.

I decided to get the cable recommended by everyone and bought the cable below from Cableshack but it appears that that they have changed the cable, I received an orange one - when I queried them they said that the blue one was their old version and the orange one is now their new one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271796230565? ... Tags=bu=bu

Tried toggling it between both D-CAN and Kline but no change to the problem (realise that my car is almost certainly a D-Can)

Tried to plug it into my car today, the lights on the cable blinked a few times but when MHD tried to connect, the lights just went off and said that it was unable to contact the ECU, does anyone know what else might cause the problem?

I'm going to try using a different android device tonight but just wondering if any of you guys might know what the issue is?

Currently using an Android Nexus 7 v2 on Android 6.0.1, I've tested the OTG port as well and that appears to be working fine. MHD does pop up straight away when the cable is plugged into the car.

steveo08
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: MHD Cable issue

Post by steveo08 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 pm

I have the same orange cable but works fine with mhd on mine, might be a faulty cable.

I didn't get mine from ebay I got it directly from cable shack online if that makes any difference, might not.

When I connect mine the light stays on permanently, no blinking.
2010 n55 135i space grey. Red leather. Bmwp exhaust and lots of bmwp goodies. BMS chargepipe, wagner evo fmic, mhd stage 1+

jc848

Post by jc848 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Just tried it with a different android device and didn't connect either.

Looks like I've got a faulty cable which is a shame guess I'll need to exchange it and hope I get a normal one, thanks for the help!

steveo08
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveo08 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:54 pm

It might be your otg cable?
2010 n55 135i space grey. Red leather. Bmwp exhaust and lots of bmwp goodies. BMS chargepipe, wagner evo fmic, mhd stage 1+

jc848

Post by jc848 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:42 pm

I've ordered in a new OTG adapter to see if that's the case although I don't think it is seeing as MHD does detect the cable but it's just unable to connect to the ECU.

I tried to connect via INPA today, computer detected the cable fine, all the Comports and drivers were working, but when I connected it to the car INPA said that the ignition wasn't on?

Just to make sure I'm getting it right to be in the right ignition mode, stick key into the dash and press the start button once - then you see the fuel gauges move and that's it?

steveo08
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveo08 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:38 am

I had to get another otg cable first time. The one I got of eBay read the codes and allowed me to delete codes but when it came to flashing the ecu it wouldn't connect, it kept failing. Quick trip to maplins and the new otg cable worked a treat

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:07 pm

A good quality cable is needed, my 1st eBay cable didn't work

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

jc848

Post by jc848 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Yeah I assumed the cable from cableshack was the one which worked for everyone, although might be a difference between their ebay store and their website?
At least the seller is trying to resolve my problem so hopefully it will get working after I receive another OTG cable.
Just wanted to confirm is there a specific order I should be plugging it in?
1)Start ignition - Press start button once after inserting key
2)Plug cable into OBD port
3)Plug OTG into Android?

Sam_M
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Sam_M » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Yep, exactly the same cable here too.

I go to the car with all the cables hooked up to the tablet already. Plug it in, ignition on. Connects first time every time.

I've even connected with the ignition already on, again connects right up.

jc848

Post by jc848 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 pm

Received a new OTG cable today, still didn't work so out of frustration I thought why not switch it to the K and see if it read. For some reason it connected straight up and I was able to read codes and everything. Must have been a faulty switch cable from them but at least it works!

steveo08
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveo08 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 am

Have you been able to flash a map with it?

jc848

Post by jc848 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Haven't tried to yet but will see if backing up the DME causes any issues before attempting to do so

jc848

Post by jc848 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Right I've given up. ECU reads fine, tried DME back up - seems to back up to 15% then for some reason the estimated time just keeps increasing and increasing without any movement in backup progress.

Then I unplugged and tried again, moved very quickly to 21% then the same issue.. I don't think I'm going to bother flashing it as it seems too risky at the moment. Shame.. I bought the flasher module and maps already. Might see if a refund is at all possible.

steveo08
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveo08 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:46 pm

It took me a few attempts, but eventually got cables that work. Where are you based?

jc848

Post by jc848 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:47 pm

Based in North London, going to try it again tomorrow to see if it wants to back up the ECU first.

I think it might just be a dodgy cable connection causing the issue though as I've read that the ECU should back up within a couple of minutes. Judging by the speed of the back up, it implies that its doing this but just seems to stop after a couple of minutes and give up.

Return to “Engine Remapping/Tuning/Chipping”