Bluespark Tuning Box

Bluespark Automotive provide plug and play performance tuning solutions for Turbocharged Petrol and Diesel vehicles. We cover most BMW models and get great results from them. We are a UK company based just south of Newcastle Upon Tyne, where you are always welcome to call in for a chat.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196, eddbluespark

R2_1OOK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by R2_1OOK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Ive not recieved my box back yet as i only sent it off yesterday and with my car bieng in at our service depot im not desperate for the box back at the minute

I ran the box on my car at level 5 for around a week before it threw on the EML and even after the EML came on the car ran perfectly. I plugged the car in at work and got the ambient pressure sensor fault code, reset it and carried on with the box connected. The EML came on later that evening and drove it for a few days like that before removing the box the day before my car went into service.

Once removed the EML went off again but the technician at work said theres a stored fault on the car has your engine light come on atall, i obviously acted dumb and said no! He said they had looked through all the data logs etc and couldnt find a fault, cleared the fault and road tested and all is well so very hard to trace by the looks of things!

Should hopefull have my car and box back for midweek so can report back then

Rhysmcgill wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:08 pm
R2_1OOK wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:53 pm
Sorry not reported my updates been very busy lately and not been on here for a week

I have spoken to them and they have confirmed there is a firmware update for the box to account for the EML light showing on a few 140s

I work at bmw so have sent them the proper error code printout from ISTA for them to analyse aswell

Ive posted the box back to them for the update which is of course free

There customer service is second to none and me bieng a fussy f***er that says alot lol

I can also confirm the box Is untraceable as my cars currently in service for warrenty issues and they have noted that my engine light has been on at some point and said they have looked through all the datalogs etc and everything seems normal so have just cleared the code and its stayed off!

Performance centre will say the box is similar to a jb+ as they are official BMS dealers and cant be seen to be promoting other products over BMS products

But i can confirm from first hand experience that it is alot more sophisticated than a jb+ and is a hell of alot quicker and puts the power down alot better than a jb+ Does
Does that mean uv got the box back on and its working again? Also when bmw checked for codes had you actually run the box on the car previous to that or just plus it on and then it threw a light up and you took it off?
17' m140i 5dr auto, melbourne red, coral red leather, gloss black trim, pro nav, HK, adaptive suspension, privacy glass, folding mirrors, rear arm rest

'91 e30 325i tech2, sterling silver, 2.7 manual, Lsd, fully restored

mark261288

Post by mark261288 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:20 pm

I’ve installed mine today. Can really notice the difference in low down shove. I’m only running it on setting 3 though so I’m looking forward to turning it up a little.

RedMenace

Post by RedMenace » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi Guys & Gals, long time lurker with something to finally contribute. Having read this thread over the weekend I jumped and bought the box for my modestly specced (HK, adaptive, fine line, manual) 140. I’ve had it installed and tested over several runs at riverside racing in Liverpool which I think was mentioned elsewhere and the results are as follows:
STD: 334 bhp, 325 ftlb (bit disappointing)
Bluespark map 3: 385 bhp, 418 ftlb

I’ll try to send the graph from my phone (iPad defeating me easily) but the chap at riverside speculated that the car would likely need some more miles before settings D or E show improvement and he thinks it probably just needs to adapt to them. I’ll call Bluespark tomorrow either way. If my car is running standard then perhaps one of these fabled 350+ motors will break 400?

I’m very happy with the gains though. As others have observed bang for your buck is superb and a big thanks to the op from me. The car was much much more lively and I can’t wait to get up to The lakes or Smowdonia to test its legs. Cheers.

RedMenace

Post by RedMenace » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 pm

RedMenace wrote:Hi Guys & Gals, long time lurker with something to finally contribute. Having read this thread over the weekend I jumped and bought the box for my modestly specced (HK, adaptive, fine line, manual) 140. I’ve had it installed and tested over several runs at riverside racing in Liverpool which I think was mentioned elsewhere and the results are as follows:
STD: 334 bhp, 325 ftlb (bit disappointing)
Bluespark map 3: 385 bhp, 418 ftlb

I’ll try to send the graph from my phone (iPad defeating me easily) but the chap at riverside speculated that the car would likely need some more miles before settings D or E show improvement and he thinks it probably just needs to adapt to them. I’ll call Bluespark tomorrow either way. If my car is running standard then perhaps one of these fabled 350+ motors will break 400?

I’m very happy with the gains though. As others have observed bang for your buck is superb and a big thanks to the op from me. The car was much much more lively and I can’t wait to get up to The lakes or Smowdonia to test its legs. Cheers.
Printout..Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tooney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tooney » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Any reason you didn't run map5 mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedMenace

Post by RedMenace » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Tooney wrote:Any reason you didn't run map5 mate?

I got the tuning company to fit the box as well. They basically did sequential runs on the rr from std then up through the maps progressively. 3 was best mate but he said to give it a good run and let it get used to the temps then 4 & 5 should improve. Am a bit of a luddite so I'll speak to bluespark tomorrow. She flys tho, no mistaking that!Image

Tooney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tooney » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Good guys at Riverside

RedMenace

Post by RedMenace » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah can't fault the service, they were working on it within an hour of me calling them I'll be using them again

eddbluespark

Post by eddbluespark » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

Hi - I'm Edd from Bluespark.

I have been watching this thread for some time. I haven't wanted to post as I didn't want to look like we were trying to advertise, however I do think that we could offer some good advice here. Also we would be very interested in sponsoring the forum. Mods please get in touch with me regarding this.

Onto the results, I could be wrong, but I think I can take a guess as to why some of these curves are smack bang on top of each other:

The box only reads its setting every time the ECU (and thus the box) powers up.

To be clear what I mean is that the box has to be off (all LED's off, not flashing) then powered on. Only at that exact point does the box read the map setting.

Under normal circumstances this makes very little difference. When dyno testing it really does. What this means is that if you are doing back to back runs, you must allow the box to power down completely (all LED's off). This normally takes 5-10 minutes, so is admittedly quite annoying when doing back to back runs. If you change setting while the unit is active (LED's on) and it doesn't power off/restart before your next run you will run exactly the same map setting as it was set to the last time the box powered up. I appreciate that unless the dyno tester has used our products before there is no reason he would know this.

There should be a reasonable difference between map C and map E in terms of power gain, so the curves should be quite separated. I appreciate that there could be some other factor at play, but this is my best guess. If the poster of the graphs could get in touch I would really appreciate it.

In either case I am still fairly pleased by the results shown. The stock power shows a lot lower than we normally see, but as always it is the gains, not the overall numbers that are important. 51hp and 93 ft/lbs (126Nm) over stock is a really good gain in my book.

sootyvrs
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by sootyvrs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:26 pm

eddbluespark wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

I have been watching this thread for some time. I haven't wanted to post as I didn't want to look like we were trying to advertise, however I do think that we could offer some good advice here. Also we would be very interested in sponsoring the forum. Mods please get in touch with me regarding this.

Onto the results, I could be wrong, but I think I can take a guess as to why some of these curves are smack bang on top of each other:

To be clear what I mean is that the box has to be off (all LED's off, not flashing) then powered on. Only at that exact point does the box read the map setting.

Under normal circumstances this makes very little difference. When dyno testing it really does. What this means is that if you are doing back to back runs, you must allow the box to power down completely (all LED's off). This normally takes 5-10 minutes, so is admittedly quite annoying when doing back to back runs. If you change setting while the unit is active (LED's on) and it doesn't power off/restart before your next run you will run exactly the same map setting as it was set to the last time the box powered up. I appreciate that unless the dyno tester has used our products before there is no reason he would know this.

There should be a reasonable difference between map C and map E in terms of power gain, so the curves should be quite separated. I appreciate that there could be some other factor at play, but this is my best guess. If the poster of the graphs could get in touch I would really appreciate it.

In either case I am still fairly pleased by the results shown. The stock power shows a lot lower than we normally see, but as always it is the gains, not the overall numbers that are important. 51hp and 93 ft/lbs (126Nm) over stock is a really good gain in my book.
Hi Edd, welcome to the forum...

Do you have any target psi boost numbers for your various maps on the box? e.g. +4 psi for map C

Thanks
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

eddbluespark

Post by eddbluespark » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm

sootyvrs wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:26 pm
Do you have any target psi boost numbers for your various maps on the box? e.g. +4 psi for map C
Thanks
Thanks. Yes we do, the boost increase isn't totally static, but you are looking at a touch over 4psi max increase on map C, up to 5 psi on map E. Thats just roughly. The car itself doesn't run totally fixed boost targets anyway but it gives you an idea.

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:02 pm

eddbluespark wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm
Thanks. Yes we do, the boost increase isn't totally static, but you are looking at a touch over 4psi max increase on map C, up to 5 psi on map E. Thats just roughly. The car itself doesn't run totally fixed boost targets anyway but it gives you an idea.
Thanks for the info. :D
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

Tooney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tooney » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:28 pm

eddbluespark wrote:
sootyvrs wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:26 pm
Thanks
Good to have you on the forum Image

Alan120d

Post by Alan120d » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 pm

51bhp is a very good gain. Thats equal or better than most of the JB4 results I have seen. Torque is also as good if not better. I'd like to see more people's results but that looks very promising. The 3 way dyno test of JB+ JB4 and Bluespark sounds most interesting.

BimRSV4

Post by BimRSV4 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:30 pm

eddbluespark wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

Hi Edd

I have noticed that a lot of the info on this thread relates the the X40i - What sort of gains are expected from the x35i N55?
I live fairly local to yourselves (Birtley) and would be interested in calling in to have a chat and maybe buying one.

Return to “Bluespark Automotive”