Baby BMW Forum banner

M47 E87 120d Remap

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jason@bwchiptune 
#1 ·
My friend is thinking of getting his 120d remapped (163hp version). A tuner has told him that they could get 230hp out of this engine. I know turbo diesels respond well to remapping but I am not sure of a 67hp bump. Isn't this hybrid turbo or big turbo territory? Is it even possible with just a remap and a few addons such as intake, exhaust, and cat delete to get 67hp on this engine?

Has anyone got their 120d remapped? What were your gains?

Cheers

#2 ·
230 sounds like pub talk on a happy dyno to me. A healthy, standard low-mileage car might make nearer 210, mine made 200 which I was rather pleased with.

It's the mid-range torque which makes the real world difference anyway, not the peak nonsense figure. :)

#3 ·
marco_polo said:
230 sounds like pub talk on a happy dyno to me. A healthy, standard low-mileage car might make nearer 210, mine made 200 which I was rather pleased with.

It's the mid-range torque which makes the real world difference anyway, not the peak nonsense figure. :)
Agreed. Did you know your stock and tuned boost?

#5 ·
You would normally see 210-215 Bhp from these 120d 163bhp on a honest dyno

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991.
Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE) and Cas units.
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW FRM repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
BMW key blades cut from BMW key code.
Key data fixed for non starters or when theft attempted by making key by obd.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
The guys bull-****ting. You have to account for age as well, Jason got mine to hit 300 Lb-Ft/185 BHP last year, it was turning out 145 BHP stock. It was 55 plate 130K miles on the clock auto. The auto probably isn't as efficient as it once was. The injector were about a year old (4 remanfactured ones direct from Bosch) and about a year and half old OE turbo from Mitsubishi. No swirl flaps and the intake manifold had been soaked and cleaned overnight when the turbo was changed. Also had 4 new glow plugs and controller changed a couple of years prior to this along with ZF ATF and sump change. So a I wouldn't believe the guy claiming more than 200 BHP even when the car was new and had been broken in. Jason spotted that the engine and EGR thermostat weren't working so those were replaced on the same day, which meant the guys had to stay back to get that done. Much appreciated...I'll be honest I wouldn't let anyone else mess with the brains of my engine (ECU), idiots can really f up your car. Jason knows his stuff...

#7 ·
HaiderGill said:
The guys bull-****ting. You have to account for age as well, Jason got mine to hit 300 Lb-Ft/185 BHP last year, it was turning out 145 BHP stock. It was 55 plate 130K miles on the clock auto. The auto probably isn't as efficient as it once was. The injector were about a year old (4 remanfactured ones direct from Bosch) and about a year and half old OE turbo from Mitsubishi. No swirl flaps and the intake manifold had been soaked and cleaned overnight when the turbo was changed. Also had 4 new glow plugs and controller changed a couple of years prior to this along with ZF ATF and sump change. So a I wouldn't believe the guy claiming more than 200 BHP even when the car was new and had been broken in. Jason spotted that the engine and EGR thermostat weren't working so those were replaced on the same day, which meant the guys had to stay back to get that done. Much appreciated...I'll be honest I wouldn't let anyone else mess with the brains of my engine (ECU), idiots can really f up your car. Jason knows his stuff...
Very interesting figures HaiderGill - interesting because you know the bhp stock figure + its an auto

So basically assuming your car was 163 bhp new it had dropped 11% (down to 145 bhp) in 13 years

But then your remap gave you a 27.6% increase in your bhp (from 145 to 185) - how did that feel driving it afterwards? Sounds like you spent a few quid on it as well do you think its worth the cost for the extra bhp?

I was sort of looking with going down that route with a 120d auto or a 320d auto - its a shame so many horses have escaped from that 163 bhp stock figure

#8 ·
This is what I normally see from our remap on a 120d 2006 163bhp

Extra 45-50bhp
Extra 55-65ft of torque

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991.
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW FRM repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

#9 ·
paddyboy said:
HaiderGill said:
Very interesting figures HaiderGill - interesting because you know the bhp stock figure + its an auto

So basically assuming your car was 163 bhp new it had dropped 11% (down to 145 bhp) in 13 years

But then your remap gave you a 27.6% increase in your bhp (from 145 to 185) - how did that feel driving it afterwards? Sounds like you spent a few quid on it as well do you think its worth the cost for the extra bhp?

I was sort of looking with going down that route with a 120d auto or a 320d auto - its a shame so many horses have escaped from that 163 bhp stock figure
I have a couple of litres more viscous ATF in with ZF LifeGuard HP6. The ZF is low viscosity to help mpg and be more efficient and transferring power across but does not help longevity of the automatic transmission. As I use mine as a station and fun car it (AT) has too last as long as the engine. I change the fluid at 70k miles then again at 50k interval along with plastic pan and sleeve. I also changed the diff oil from Syntrax 75W-90 to Syntrax 75W-140 - the M car LSD stuff - this helps the longevity of the rear diff especially if you're a spirited driver but negatively impacts mpg and takes a bit power away. Looking for longevity, though I would like to get a Wavetrac LSD fitted but can't seem to find an application for the auto only the manual, so may go Quaife and change the diff front and rear mounting bushes to PowerFlex road series...

#11 ·
Rian1991 said:
Egr blanked and swirl flaps removed,
Stage 1 map 209hp 437 torque
Full milltek sport exhaust With decat

Not sure if I could get more or not but it's quite a brutal power delivery in mine
The main thing you need is more torque to make the car faster than it is
More Bhp will give you a higher top end

The 1st thing we would need to do is dyno your car on our dyno
You say your car made 437 which would be NM so in ft it would be around 322ft

I normally see 330-340ft after our remap

Our dyno normally read less than or tuners dynos which is a fact so we should see around 15-20ft plus from your car or even more
If you can tell me who's dyno your car was tested on I may be able show you an example

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991.
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW FRM repairs.

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.