120D PF tuning plan - Dyno results page 13!!!

Get more out of your engine by remapping, tuning & chipping

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Tom 118
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: 120D PF tuning plan - Dyno results page 13!!!

Post by Tom 118 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Ok bud could I refer you to my previous question again about me needing a new inlet or exhaust manifold cheers just a bit worried ill get all the way up to you and Ill be missing a part lol

geeto
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by geeto » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Aha i'm not the only one thinking about the head either :D

I'm very tempted but its a big expense for what could be, very little gains :(

I've noticed on ebay second hand heads going for £100 ish which is what got me interested in the first place, it was also maybe a custom inlet manifold.

I know this sounds a bit daft as the inlet manifold is rather large but the inlet diameter is 2" or slightly less I can't fully remember so if you get the entry diameter to match your intercooling pipework that's another little bit of pressure drop reduction.

I never really gave much thought into the idea of reducing the EGT's as I was only looking at getting as much air in as efficiently as possible. but i suppose EGT's are a function of how much air you can get in anyway?

I'm starting to go past my knowledge on this subject but it makes for a very interesting read/DIY design prospect!

Your at it again Stan, costing me money :lol:
Tom

2006 Sparkling Graphite 120d M sport - All factory extras except sat nav!

- Custom Apexi Front mount IC
- 2.5" Turbo back SS exhaust
- EGR bypass kit
- Swirl flaps removed
- K & N filter
- Ecotune custom remap

222bhp / 477nm

ecotuneuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ecotuneuk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Tom 118 wrote:Ok bud could I refer you to my previous question again about me needing a new inlet or exhaust manifold cheers just a bit worried ill get all the way up to you and Ill be missing a part lol
Hi Tom,

I'm confident that the inlet and exhaust manifolds are the same but this can be confirmed in the BMW parts catalog online... http://www.realoem.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-)

Best wishes,

Stan
0141 882 4669
http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*I don't get as much time to visit BabyBMW as I would like therefore if you have a question - info@ecotune-scotland.co.uk*

Rjudgey
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Rjudgey » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Hmmm well I wouldn't trust anyone with my head so I'd do it myself as I do my old Honda heads.

And as I have the original spare engine in good condition bar the mass compensator and oil pump I could decapitate it and give it some head treatment. I haven't had a chance to look inside the ports or any idea what the valve shapes are like to comment on any possible performance gains. But Stan as your a head man too being direct cylinder head injection I'd imagine probably best to go super smooth on the inlet and exhaust ports no? as the inlet's are already seperated to increase tumble and swirl into the cylinder having a rough surface is going to do nothing but slow down flow. The only thing I can think off that may make a better difference is making up a custom inlet manifold from alluminium with some trumpets on the end into the inside of a big plenum chamber which then bolts onto the intake body which could be increased in size to much charge pipe size. May look at different intake as my non EGR one isn't great also isn't stainless steel and I'm sure it's smaller than the stainless ones I've seen.

May strip down the old turbo to see if there is anything that could be done to improve air flow into the mouth and inside what do you think Stan worth a look or would this cause possible issues with the variable vane calibrations??
120d Msport, Leather, HK 7 Sound, LED plate lights, Goodyear Assym 2, ECOTUNE I flash, 2.5" Downpipe & Exhaust, EGR gone, Modded air intake/box, HG intercooler, Eibach kit, Eibach ARB, powerflex bushes, M3 wishbones, M3 tension arms, BMWP brakes.

geeto
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by geeto » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Just to update this thread, I put her on a dyno in doncaster during a little gathering of friends to see the results and she managed 224bhp / 484nm so It seems that see is making good power / happy little engine! The differences between dynos is most probably calibration issues as 2bhp/7nm is here nor there tbh

Just replaced my glow plugs as she started to splutter on start up - Only one was faulty but since it took me 2 hours to get to them I just changed all 4 to save the hassle in the next months coming replacing individually.

I've realised why my economy is down/coolant temperatures are down during normal operation. I believe its because of my oil temperature, When I was removing the ducting I not only opened up more of the radiator but I exposed the oil cooler to direct air flow!

This was the conclusion of our little investigation, it could well be something different entirely but we reckon its the oil cooler :)

Bear in mind the stats have been changed and the coolant so its certainly not that system!

On the plus side, she's running like a dream and performing excellently - Great little car :)
Tom

- EGR bypass kit
- Swirl flaps removed
- K & N filter
- Ecotune custom remap

222bhp / 477nm

Rjudgey

Post by Rjudgey » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:57 pm

What make was the dyno you went to this time?
120d Msport, Leather, HK 7 Sound, LED plate lights, Goodyear Assym 2, ECOTUNE I flash, 2.5" Downpipe & Exhaust, EGR gone, Modded air intake/box, HG intercooler, Eibach kit, Eibach ARB, powerflex bushes, M3 wishbones, M3 tension arms, BMWP brakes.

geeto
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by geeto » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:37 pm

She went to John Sleath race cars in doncaster, its a dyno dynamics rolling road?

He didn't do any tuning or anything just literally stick the car on, strap it down and boot it!

I must update to say my MPG has screamed up since replacing all 4 glow plugs, even at 0 degrees C i'm still, at a 70mph cruise, attaining 53 mpg on the instant :D

Granted my average is now down to a solid 50.4 mpg on the computer and reaching an average 550 miles to 47-48litres so its pretty close in terms of being a true figure.

Performance plans for the car are to simply enjoy her for now and keep looking into this hybrid turbo setup, Its a bit of a minefield but the biggest leap will happen once i get a core unit to my friend - Ebay is being a bit unkind at the moment as i keep getting outbidded by pennies as i'm not at the computer all the time :evil:

Maybe I'll drop on one in January when people have spent up at christmas :lol:
Tom

- EGR bypass kit
- Swirl flaps removed
- K & N filter
- Ecotune custom remap

222bhp / 477nm

Rjudgey

Post by Rjudgey » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:18 am

I got my old spare turbo with blown oil seal.

Hmmm that's good maybe I should change mine they've done 50k miles already now the old ones. Was it easy job to DIY??

Also I think I know what killed the turbo and engine, the PCV breather may have clogged up due to a increase in back pressure caused by blow by on rings from high mileage quite common issue on high miles diesels PCV needs to be kept tip top and breathing increased accordingly, otherwise the increase in back pressure can blow out the oil seal on the turbo and cause the engine to run on!! Looking into a modded PCV breather on mine to help eliminate this issue in future with help from Minimatt breakers who used to race these M47 engines untill 123d came out and switched to that.

I'm still tempted to try and get my DMS map back on to see what kinda figures that puts out as I had 210bhp an 300lbft from a stock engine with that map it's a little more on the aggressive side on boost at 1.8 bar but the last couple of turbo's lasted a lot longer than the earlier variants and knowing the last turbo failure wasn't the turbo's fault is more comforting! lol!

Rjudgey

Post by Rjudgey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Hmmmm just been looking at some engine pics on the new 120/320d models F20/30 and noticed they gone back to using a flanged fitment, gone to realoem and looks very similar to the flange on our model too! Could be possible to maybe fit this but I'd imagine it would need a customized drain pipe and also completely different intake, charge pipe setup as well as possibly customized downpipe for exhaust.

geeto
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by geeto » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:12 pm

you could well be onto something there Rjudgey, the newer turbos (or diesel engines i should say) make 181bhp standard so either they have, once again, over designs the turbocharger requirement or just altered the software.

To be honest i'm pretty content with the power/economy at the moment, I am worried that with adding a hybrid i could potentially loose some MPG - which isn't really feasible for me.

I think i'm going to wait until my current turbo shows signs of age until I re-consider the hybrid option - I really don't need anymore power in this little mile muncher!

I'm currently designing/building my turbo conversion for the rx8 which is proving costly (funnily enough) and any spare money is being eaten by the design atm :(

Having said all that, it would be nice to to keep my 50mpg and have around 250bhp/500nm - those would be my ideal figures :D
Tom

- EGR bypass kit
- Swirl flaps removed
- K & N filter
- Ecotune custom remap

222bhp / 477nm

Rjudgey

Post by Rjudgey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 pm

bigger turbo means leaner mixture equals better fuel that's why all modern turbo diesels all run such high boost levels now.

ecotuneuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ecotuneuk » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Actually they run higher boost to reduce emissions achieving around lambda 1.3... If you reduce the air closer to lambda 1.0 the car is noticeably cheaper to run as the pumping efficiency of the engine is improved and there is next to no loss in power and in some cases there is actually a gain in performance.

Proper diesel tuning quite often contradicts common ideas :-)
0141 882 4669
http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*I don't get as much time to visit BabyBMW as I would like therefore if you have a question - info@ecotune-scotland.co.uk*

ecotuneuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ecotuneuk » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Merry Christmas BTW :-)
0141 882 4669

geeto
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by geeto » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Hehe Merry Christmas to you too! I hope your business is doing well :)

I will be the first to admit diesel tuning certainly is a minefield and I wish I had more knowledge on the subject, its all very interesting!

You'll be happy to hear the car is running excellently, no issues apart from the winter tyres struggling for grip when I forget I have 205's on the back :lol:
Tom

- EGR bypass kit
- Swirl flaps removed
- K & N filter
- Ecotune custom remap

222bhp / 477nm

Rjudgey

Post by Rjudgey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Still quite happily running my nearly bald set of Goodyears amazing how much traction you get with minimal tread with these things still in the soaking wet and freezing cold conditions truly amazing tyres!

So Geeto get your wallet out and buy some and keep out of those budget crap tyres!!

Return to “Engine Remapping/Tuning/Chipping”