Chipping & Remapping your BMW

Get more out of your engine by remapping, tuning & chipping

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

John_DNA

Re: Chipping & Remapping your BMW

Post by John_DNA » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Joshua wrote:
John_DNA wrote:As long as the company checks the car over properly and you know your car is healthy there are no real downsides, both will give you a good tune...
My car's a 58 reg 118d with 93k on it. Full BMW service history (5) and is has been looked after very well.
You've no worries then, get it done and enjoy! :)

Joshua
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Joshua » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:44 pm

John_DNA wrote:
Joshua wrote:
John_DNA wrote:As long as the company checks the car over properly and you know your car is healthy there are no real downsides, both will give you a good tune...
My car's a 58 reg 118d with 93k on it. Full BMW service history (5) and is has been looked after very well.
You've no worries then, get it done and enjoy! :)
Will let you know how i get one! :)

p-torque.co.uk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by p-torque.co.uk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:01 pm

John_DNA wrote:
p-torque.co.uk wrote:Take it to tuner who can set it up on the dyno and check the DPF.

Avoid mobile tuners whoever you choose!
There is one tuner in the UK who does a lot of mobile tuning on BMW's who adamantly claims he does the tuning himself on several forums yet his cars have tags in from techtec in Germany, that's the funniest thing I find! I'd make sure the company you use has a valid WinOLS license also.
I know Pascal at Techtec well. A company called Big Fish tuning in the UK approached them for tuning files a year or so back.

John_DNA

Post by John_DNA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm

p-torque.co.uk wrote:
John_DNA wrote:
p-torque.co.uk wrote:Take it to tuner who can set it up on the dyno and check the DPF.

Avoid mobile tuners whoever you choose!
There is one tuner in the UK who does a lot of mobile tuning on BMW's who adamantly claims he does the tuning himself on several forums yet his cars have tags in from techtec in Germany, that's the funniest thing I find! I'd make sure the company you use has a valid WinOLS license also.
I know Pascal at Techtec well. A company called Big Fish tuning in the UK approached them for tuning files a year or so back.
Yeah it's not that one. The Techtec stuff tends to be pretty basic anyway.

static

BMW 118i that wants to be a 120i

Post by static » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:18 am

Hello my fellow tuners!

I'm seriously starting to concider chipping my 2009 BMW 118i M-Sport. As I was buying the car this spring I really wanted to get 120i but due to availability and taxing was not able to do so. However, this week I ran in to a local tuning company that claims they can make my 118i almost as lively as 120i: http://www.chip-tuning.fi/brand/car/BMW/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They claim:
118i 143 Hp --->+20 Hp and + 30 Nm making it a bit bit less powerful than 120i but actually more torquey. This is really tempting.

But as the car is NA petrol engine these figures seem a bit ambitious to me. I don't know who's chip they are using, they just broadly tell that they represent a "known" manufacturer. I have two main concerns:

1) What are main negatives when chipping a petrol engine?
2) Can they really squeeze that much hp and torque out of NA petrol engine?
3) Should I do it? :)

kjb1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Chipping & Remapping your BMW

Post by kjb1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:32 am

normal gains from a normally aspirated petrol engine are between 10-15 hp. You will see gains, but his figures maybe a tad optimistic. Regarding negatives, there will be none to be honest. Car will be more drivable, with sharper throttle response. Go for it

125i-ross
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 125i-ross » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 am

How much are the ptorque remaps? I saw a 125i get a 50bhp increase from the map on their facebook page, this has got me interested!

I have BMW warranty, can they easily spot the maps?

How much did the 50 bhp increase lower the 0 - 60 time on the 125??

p-torque.co.uk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by p-torque.co.uk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:39 am

125i-ross wrote:How much are the ptorque remaps? I saw a 125i get a 50bhp increase from the map on their facebook page, this has got me interested!

I have BMW warranty, can they easily spot the maps?

How much did the 50 bhp increase lower the 0 - 60 time on the 125??
Sorry for the delay. The P-Torque 125i remap is £345.00 all in, including dyno set up and power runs before/after.

We see approx 270hp from the 125i, as they share the same engine and transmission as the 130i models :spotman:

jason@bwchiptune
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:42 am

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=41609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 xmass remap offer starts at £250 includes dyno testing before and after
Click here for: BMW Remaps
Click here for: BMW Repairs

DynoDynamics rolling road testing in london & newcastle

dealers across the uk

BMW tech
Performance tuning
Ecu repairs

8 & 9 Alpha ind est
Hayes
Ub3 1bb

jason@bwchiptune
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:21 am

Our remap offer has been extended to the end of jan 2013

Remap and free dyno before and after remap from £250

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?p=506002#p506002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click here for: BMW Remaps
Click here for: BMW Repairs

DynoDynamics rolling road testing in london & newcastle

dealers across the uk

BMW tech
Performance tuning
Ecu repairs

8 & 9 Alpha ind est
Hayes
Ub3 1bb

goebes
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by goebes » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:50 pm

What sort of accelerated turbo wear are we looking at on a remap of say an extra 70bhp on a 135i N54?

Only saying this as I'm pretty my much booked in to DMS in September for a remap and its been a few days now and I'm starting to get itchy feet and going to possibly bail on it.

Am I thinking to much or ???

Hope this is the right thread to put this in, if not some mod can delete it if need be. Thanks
2013 F21 Glacier White M135i

Sunglasses Ron
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sunglasses Ron » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:06 pm

goebes wrote:What sort of accelerated turbo wear are we looking at on a remap of say an extra 70bhp on a 135i N54?

Only saying this as I'm pretty my much booked in to DMS in September for a remap and its been a few days now and I'm starting to get itchy feet and going to possibly bail on it.

Am I thinking to much or ???

Hope this is the right thread to put this in, if not some mod can delete it if need be. Thanks
A lot will depend on what mileage the car has on it already and what sort of life it has had? How long have you owned the vehicle?

I have had all my last 4 cars remapped (all running more boost than my 135i) and all have covered over 80k miles. Not one has had a turbo failure.

This is with a mixture of driving (motorway and back road hooning) and a fair bit of track work too..

HTH

goebes
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by goebes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Brilliant thx, cars got 52k on it and 1 previous owner that very much looked after it. The car looked brand new when I picked it up and still does after the 6 months I've had it.

100% Booked into DMS in September and after having a good chat with them I'm very reassured and looking forward to what they can do for me. I'm also getting a switch for it to be able to take it back to stock for service and warranty etc...

Thanks for your help :)
2013 F21 Glacier White M135i

Sunglasses Ron
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sunglasses Ron » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:32 pm

goebes wrote:Brilliant thx, cars got 52k on it and 1 previous owner that very much looked after it. The car looked brand new when I picked it up and still does after the 6 months I've had it.

100% Booked into DMS in September and after having a good chat with them I'm very reassured and looking forward to what they can do for me. I'm also getting a switch for it to be able to take it back to stock for service and warranty etc...

Thanks for your help :)
No worries pal.. If it makes you feel any better, my 135i has DMS software on it and has done since 1100 miles old (now 63k). Not an issue to report (touch wood). :)

Rob and the boys down there will look after you don't worry.. :wink:

Mullmeister

Post by Mullmeister » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Sorry to just jump into thi thread without contributing before, I've been reading the forum for ages but just took the plunge to register. I own a 2008 120dM sport 50k miles. Looking to get it remapped but there's so many places to choose from. I live in Cheshire, would ideally like somewhere within an hours drive, could anyone kindly recommend somewhere near me that would do a good job? There are loads out there but I'm looking for sonewhere that has good feedback. Thanks in advance folks.

Return to “Engine Remapping/Tuning/Chipping”