Shell v power

Latest mods red lines recently:-

As above but with intake mods as follows

Map 6 - minor fettling co BW Chiptune.
Dinan CAI with afe air scoop
Wagner evo 2 comp FMIC
ER boost pipes both sides of FMIC
Pure hi flo inlet pipe
Shell v power - school boy error no Tesco M99 in N Wales during half term holidays !!!

Peak gains may look marginal but "area under the curve" is much improved.

Deltas more evident from mid range upwards and Jason @ BW Chiptune drove the car after he'd fettled it and was v complimentary about how smooth the car felt. This is more evident n lower range as red line is smoother than green

I've yet to drive the car properly so too early to comment but what I've noticed initially is that Dinan CAI has more "voice" in a good way with Pure hi flo inlet pipe.....

I will return to BW with a tankful of TM99 to fettle map 6 on their dyno.

Hats off to the guys at BW - great service and advice as usual.

BP
Last edited by Blind Pugh on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Latest dyno run with latest intake mods

Post by marco_polo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:10 am

It's definitely a positive result, good torque gain above 4,500, and does look a fair bit smoother.

Are you satisfied with a 2.7% gain, considering the outlay? Must have been over a grand for that lot?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:29 am

marco_polo wrote:It's definitely a positive result, and does look a fair bit smoother.

Are you satisfied with a 2.7% gain, considering the outlay? Must have been over a grand for that lot?
MP - I'm sure gains as %age would have been more had I put TM99 in the tank.....hence why I will return to BW dyno with TM99 at some point.

As far as the spend, I've started using octane booster more often on maps 5 and 7 and at a trackday this summer did experience heat soak for the 1st time. That made me finally get off the fence re FMIC upgrade.

Switching boost pipes was a preventative measure as seeing 18-19.5psi in maps 5 and 7 with OB, so better safe than sorry. Having the CP go pop could be a pricey exercise so I reconciled some of the expense to mitigate against this happening. My cars a keeper so keen to add reliability into my mix when upping the ante.

Pure hi flo inlet pipe was a punt TBH. However knowing stock pipe is configured for PWG and EWG has a larger compressor inlet, the engineer in me believed this to be worthwhile. As ER boost pipes are both solid and larger diameter, all of this extra pipe work means better flow and turbo doing less work to meet the targets which have definitely helped improve the throttle response even more, despite larger FMIC.

It's early days yet as not had chance to pedal the car properly but my initial observation is that a nice by product of Pure's inlet pipe combined with Dinan CAI is that there's a tad more aural drama when pressing the pedal, interesting more so in sport/sport+ mode than comfort.

BP
AW M2 DCT

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Manc M135i » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:48 am

Fair doo's Dave for taking the plunge and trying a few additional mods n tweaks. Even if the main benefits result in a smoother power delivery this can bring a big improvement to the driving exp. Mix that with the increased durability and all very worth while. Wouldn't worry too much about the 2.7% power increase!

I'm booking in with Jason in a few weeks for a custom map 6 and hoping this will bring a tad more predictability and smoothness to the show.

As for increased power, would you say a custom map 6 feels stronger 'quicker' than map 5?

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:40 am

Manc M135i wrote:Fair doo's Dave for taking the plunge and trying a few additional mods n tweaks. Even if the main benefits result in a smoother power delivery this can bring a big improvement to the driving exp. Mix that with the increased durability and all very worth while. Wouldn't worry too much about the 2.7% power increase!

I'm booking in with Jason in a few weeks for a custom map 6 and hoping this will bring a tad more predictability and smoothness to the show.

As for increased power, would you say a custom map 6 feels stronger 'quicker' than map 5?
Map 6 is fixed and jb4 doesn't "learn" as it does in autotuning map 5. If setup correctly for the fuel you use, map 6 all day long. This is 3rd map 6 visit to Jason et al have fettled my car and I'm impressed with his insight and the resultant handiwork.

If you dabble in blended fuel and or use OB occasionally then I would say map 5 over map 6 and map 7 over map 5.

Obviously you can setup map 6 to suit yr fuel "mix" but that's not for me as I dont use OB routinely.

I drove down to Gwood breakfast club with few other BB'ers early this morning and it's noticeable improvement in terms of poke, smoothness, drive ability etc. Whilst I wasn't sad before I'm very happy with what these latest bits add to my car.
Last edited by Blind Pugh on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AW M2 DCT

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Manc M135i » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:13 pm

What do you put the improved smoothness down to, Jason's additional tweaks or the new high flow inlet?

Will let you know how I get on after my visit!

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Manc M135i wrote:What do you put the improved smoothness down to, Jason's additional tweaks or the new high flow inlet?
Hardware wise - I think inlet pipe helps a lot esp after seeing the difference between OEM and Pure versions - compressor side of turbo must be shipping much more air per rotation due to larger bore allowing greater volume. JB4 shows PWM & Avg Ign are trending downwards - both positive signs ie burden on stock EWG turbo is reducing yet delta between [slightly higher] target v actual is converging. Inlet sound is more noticeable too hence my comment about Dinan CAI having more voice. In sport / sport + there's a hint of "sidedraught DCOE suck" lower down that then morphs to turbo spool "whoosh" from upper mid range to red-line.

BW and Jason - the setup is how I wanted it ie stock like delivery but with more of everything, everywhere. Jason upped it but backed it off a tad as he was concerned about reliability which is fine by me.
Manc M135i wrote:Will let you know how I get on after my visit!
:thumbs:
AW M2 DCT

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Manc M135i » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:39 pm

Glad to hear you're so happy with it, nothing like adding a few additional tweaks to fine tune an already well sorted package.

What PSI has Jason maxed out to? I often see 16+ in map 5 without OB, so I'm guessing it's in that region?

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
marco_polo wrote:It's definitely a positive result, and does look a fair bit smoother.

MP - I'm sure gains as %age would have been more had I put TM99 in the tank.....hence why I will return to BW dyno with TM99 at some point.
:shock:

I wouldn't let crap Tesco fuel anywhere near my engine!
2017 X5 40d SE
Sold: 2011 E82 135i DCT The only Bluewater/Coral Red Leather 135i in the UK

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Manc M135i wrote:What PSI has Jason maxed out to? I often see 16+ in map 5 without OB, so I'm guessing it's in that region?
correct
AW M2 DCT

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 pm

GeeRam wrote:
Blind Pugh wrote:

:shock:

I wouldn't let crap Tesco fuel anywhere near my engine!
Don't knock it 'til you tried it.

Mapped or p'back tuned may work better and my experience with jb4 on my m135i TM99 higher octane works v well.

If running stock boost, you are probably wise to stay with BP/Shell or whatever IOC Fuel you use.
AW M2 DCT

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:47 am

Update

Avg ign on SUL was mid to high 2s before and now it's consistently less than 1 with same SUL.

PWM is <40 so these 2 positive changes must be due to combo of new intake plumbing and BW map6 voodoo magic. Car was no slouch before, now it's stronger and intake sounds add more drama to the full bore experience !!

As an aside, avg fuel economy seems to be improving too.

Happy chappy
AW M2 DCT

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Manc M135i » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Bloody hell...

Below 1.0 without OB is an achievement, do you attribute this mostly to the high flow intake? Using T99?

IAT's are crazy low too, is the engine even warm at those temps?

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Manc M135i wrote:Below 1.0 without OB is an achievement, do you attribute this mostly to the high flow intake?

Probably and improved flow and oem turbo doing less work for same boost will help keep avg ign in check.
Manc M135i wrote:Using T99?

No, Shell V Power Nitro [SVPN] as my local Tesco's has run out of TM99. TBH, SVPN is proving consistent and much more on a level with TM99 but I will reserve judgement until I have ran a couple of tanks thru of TM99.
Manc M135i wrote: IAT's are crazy low too, is the engine even warm at those temps?

Yes warm motor but also cooler ambient. Since FMIC, boost pipes and inlet upgrade, IAT's are running at 10-20 deg above ambient, even during the trip to Goodwood last weekend. I think new hardware is helping keep IAT's in check for same reasons as above + autumnal climate is perhaps the bigger contributor....!
AW M2 DCT

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Manc M135i » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:46 pm

How much was the high flow intake, is it a diy fit?

As for Vpower, I switched back from T99 a while ago as I found it gave consistently lower Av Ing, power delivery felt a ton smoother and I no longer get thick black sutted up exhaust tips.

Return to “Engine Remapping/Tuning/Chipping”