Baby BMW Forum banner

Racecip vs Chip express

9K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Turbobooster 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried either one of those chip boxes?
It looks like they are the best amongst off the shelf chip boxes, however, before making any decision I would like to get some feedback.
My car is a 120d xdrive 190bhp
Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If you want to buy them I can test them on the Dyno
So you can show everyone

The problems start after about 1 1/2 -2 weeks after these boxes are fitted

Customers think they are good as they have never had a proper remap on there cars to compare it to

Here's a 730d f01 tested using the race chip diesel box

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs
New and fully refurbished BMW Ecus
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

#8 ·
For what it is worth, I fitted a RaceChip One into my M235i. This was the lowest priced product in their range (now no longer available for the M235i) but promised up to 54 hp in power gains.

Car does feel slightly quicker but I took it to Surrey Rolling Dynos and regardless of which map I had used, it was only providing about 20 hp extra. Car is also idling more rough than it used to.

Spoke to their customer services team and they have raised this with their devs. Awaiting a responsw from them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#9 ·
SAinSurrey said:
For what it is worth, I fitted a RaceChip One into my M235i. This was the lowest priced product in their range (now no longer available for the M235i) but promised up to 54 hp in power gains.

Car does feel slightly quicker but I took it to Surrey Rolling Dynos and regardless of which map I had used, it was only providing about 20 hp extra. Car is also idling more rough than it used to.

Spoke to their customer services team and they have raised this with their devs. Awaiting a responsw from them.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on as I have the same one as you on my M235i.

#10 ·
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:

Will be interesting to hear how you get on as I have the same one as you on my M235i.
Chip has been posted back to Germany for reprogramming. They seem to be quite good with customer service but we will see what happens when it comes back.

Funny, asked them why it has been discontinued for the M235i and the customer services agent couldnt answer. Said maybe because they have the newer top of the range RaceChip that has been launched. Doesnt make much sense though.

Also noticed the performance figures quoted for the other RaceChips for the Mx35is have also decreased.

How have you found it on your M235i? What settings have you tried?

#12 ·
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:

Chip has been posted back to Germany for reprogramming. They seem to be quite good with customer service but we will see what happens when it comes back.

Funny, asked them why it has been discontinued for the M235i and the customer services agent couldnt answer. Said maybe because they have the newer top of the range RaceChip that has been launched. Doesnt make much sense though.

Also noticed the performance figures quoted for the other RaceChips for the Mx35is have also decreased.

To be honest I've never tried any other settings. I wasn't under the impression that there were anymore? I never fitted it. It was fitted when I bought it from the classifieds on here. I'll need to have a look and see if there are others.
I do think mine feels quicker but not sure if it's around 54bhp quicker though. Maybe be try and follow you by sending it back questioning its validity?? Lol
Did the other settings on yours make it feel any different??

#13 ·
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:

To be honest I've never tried any other settings. I wasn't under the impression that there were anymore? I never fitted it. It was fitted when I bought it from the classifieds on here. I'll need to have a look and see if there are others.
I do think mine feels quicker but not sure if it's around 54bhp quicker though. Maybe be try and follow you by sending it back questioning its validity?? Lol
Did the box come with a manual? You need a torx 10 screwdriver to open it up and there are two dials on the motherboard. The settings you needed to use was on the manual.

I agree, car is quicker but not 54hp quicker.

If you want a copy of the manual, I can try scan it across to you

#14 ·
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:

Did the box come with a manual? You need a torx 10 screwdriver to open it up and there are two dials on the motherboard. The settings you needed to use was on the manual.

Just found a he manual that was in the box. Has a quick look at it and will mess around with it. Did any adjustments work any differently for you??
When did they say you would receive it back from Germany?

#15 ·
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:

Just found a he manual that was in the box. Has a quick look at it and will mess around with it. Did any adjustments work any differently for you??
The settings in the box didnt work. When I called the helpline, they said there are two additional settings. put switch 1 on zero or two and switch 2 on 1.

It did feel slightly more aggressive but not too much of a difference.

#16 ·
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:

The settings in the box didnt work. When I called the helpline, they said there are two additional settings. put switch 1 on zero or two and switch 2 on 1.

Nice one. Good bit of info. I'll give it a try at the weekend. Thanks for that 👍

#17 ·
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:

Nice one. Good bit of info. I'll give it a try at the weekend. Thanks for that [emoji106]
Funny though, now that I have taken the box out, I can feel the power difference! Strange how you can miss 20hp!🤣

#18 ·
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:

Nice one. Good bit of info. I'll give it a try at the weekend. Thanks for that [emoji106]
Funny though, now that I have taken the box out, I can feel the power difference! Strange how you can miss 20hp!🤣

I might remove mine at the weekend and see if I feel lost without my 20 bhp too 😀
I wouldn't know the difference in an extra 20bhp and the expected 50bhp. Now You've got me thinking mine is below the extra power projected.

#20 ·
Octavius said:
Just goes to show that it's doesn't matter how much power your cars running, you always want more.
You are absolutely correct. Head keeps telling heart I dont need to change to a M240i but if heart wins then I know in 6 months tine its going to be 'maybe you should get an M2'.........

#21 ·
Just got my chip back from RaceChip. Though they say that they have updated the software, it feels no different than before I sent it across to them. Not going to take it to Rolling Roads because that is another £40 which would mean that I would have spent £120 on dyno runs.

Will let them know and see what happens.

Teaches me on spending £140 on a performance chip. Should have just saved up longer for a TMC or JB4........

#23 ·
alex020869 said:
I assume they are standing firm with regards their expected increased 50bhp power output?
Are you considering contacting them to voice your doubts or are you just going to live with it?
I am debating whether or not to spend another £40 for a dyno test. Will take it on a longer proper drive this weekend to see how it feels. Mate of mine has just got an S3 so maybe use that as a benchmark and see how much of a difference the chip makes.

#24 ·
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:
I assume they are standing firm with regards their expected increased 50bhp power output?
Are you considering contacting them to voice your doubts or are you just going to live with it?
I am debating whether or not to spend another £40 for a dyno test. Will take it on a longer proper drive this weekend to see how it feels. Mate of mine has just got an S3 so maybe use that as a benchmark and see how much of a difference the chip makes.

Have you had a previous sprint against him to judge how much it may have improved things? I've no idea how comparable they both are in standard form. Will be interesting to hear your findings.

#25 ·
alex020869 said:
SAinSurrey said:
alex020869 said:

Have you had a previous sprint against him to judge how much it may have improved things? I've no idea how comparable they both are in standard form. Will be interesting to hear your findings.
Sadly not. He just got the S3. I am under no illusions that the S3 is markedly faster off the mark (esp with 4wd) but if there is a marked improvement e.g. I wasnt keeping up at all to I am almost keeping up, I will be happy.[emoji23]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.