MHD

Get more out of your engine by remapping, tuning & chipping

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis

MsportShaun1

Re: RE: Re: MHD

Post by MsportShaun1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:20 pm

krisabf wrote:Also, in this weather you'll be OK with stage 1 + fmic but it will be a waste of time with regards to traction. As soon as the hotter weather returns you'll definitely want a fmic as the inlet temps sky rocket and show up the woefully inadequate standard intercooler.

Flashing MHD is a slippery slope!
My cheap stage 1 tune is rapidly getting expensive..You're right Krisabf:, it's a slippery slope lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: MHD

Post by Danny_Boy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:18 am

TBH, the stage 1 map pack contains it all, so just flash the stage 1 map on there and then reflash 1+ once you have the FMIC as it takes 2 minutes.

My car is laughable in this weather running 1+, but I'm an idiot and love being a road pest too, so I spin the wheels up all the time for fun! :lol:

Stage 1 isn't exactly slow though!
2009 E82 135i Manual - MHD - Quaife - BMWP Exhaust - VRSF DCI - Intercooler - Charge Pipe - M3 LCA & Arms - BMWP Strut Brace - Darklines -

MsportShaun1

Post by MsportShaun1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:44 am

Danny_Boy wrote:TBH, the stage 1 map pack contains it all, so just flash the stage 1 map on there and then reflash 1+ once you have the FMIC as it takes 2 minutes.

My car is laughable in this weather running 1+, but I'm an idiot and love being a road pest too, so I spin the wheels up all the time for fun!

So you dont have to pay more to add 1+ at a later date?
Also did you notice much difference in mpg? Not too worried about that, I do about 150 miles a week, Just interested to know.

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Danny_Boy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:50 am

MsportShaun1 wrote:
Danny_Boy wrote:TBH, the stage 1 map pack contains it all, so just flash the stage 1 map on there and then reflash 1+ once you have the FMIC as it takes 2 minutes.

My car is laughable in this weather running 1+, but I'm an idiot and love being a road pest too, so I spin the wheels up all the time for fun!

So you dont have to pay more to add 1+ at a later date?
Also did you notice much difference in mpg? Not too worried about that, I do about 150 miles a week, Just interested to know.

No you just buy the stage 1 map pack, so that includes all fuel ron types for stage 1 and stage 1+. Think it was £30-35 when I last bought it. You only have to pay for the stage 2 pack if you go that far.

MPG I didn't notice much difference tbh in going up and down the A2, but now I am doing more stop start, MPG is pretty awful! But it still would be stock anyways
2009 E82 135i Manual - MHD - Quaife - BMWP Exhaust - VRSF DCI - Intercooler - Charge Pipe - M3 LCA & Arms - BMWP Strut Brace - Darklines -

MsportShaun1

Post by MsportShaun1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:15 am

It almost seems too cheap and easy, just download a map onto your phone then flash it to your car, loving this car more everyday.
Has anyone had there car on a dyno after adding stage 1? I'm guessing it's maybe 40 bhp increase, and a similar figure in torque?

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Danny_Boy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:29 am

MsportShaun1 wrote:It almost seems too cheap and easy, just download a map onto your phone then flash it to your car, loving this car more everyday.
Has anyone had there car on a dyno after adding stage 1? I'm guessing it's maybe 40 bhp increase, and a similar figure in torque?

MHD does it all for you, you have to download the app (obviously) and then you buy the licences from inside the app, so flasher (about £70) and then the map pack (£30 odd) and then flash the map into the car. And you know 1st times takes forever but pull the fuel pump fuse and you'll be fine. Other maps I believe you just plonk into your phone and you can then flash a custom map (I haven't done this yet, but this is my assumption)

Stage 1 with 98 octane fuel takes the car to 350ish bhp and adds roughly the same increase in torque. But there are 3 versions of each map, V5, 6 and 7. V7 is a smooth and progressive map that doesn't give as much PUNCH into the seat but you sail on a wave of power which is refined. V6 is more a punch in the face that I love but can cause issues when your booting it and you're in a corner :lol: But then I also have linear throttle instead of stock throttle so I have more control over the power.

krisabf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by krisabf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:34 am

I like the linear throttle option too. You don't get 100% of the power for 30% of the pedal action.

It makes it slightly more predictabe this time of the year when pulling out of junctions or accelerating out of corners.
E82 135i N54 - MHD stage 1+, Forge FMIC, Turbosmart Plumback diverter valves, VRSF charge pipe. M3 LCAs, Whiteline bush inserts, resonator delete.

MsportShaun1

Post by MsportShaun1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:52 am

Danny_Boy wrote:
MsportShaun1 wrote:It almost seems too cheap and easy, just download a map onto your phone then flash it to your car, loving this car more everyday.

MHD does it all for you, you have to download the app (obviously) and then you buy the licences from inside the app, so flasher (about £70) and then the map pack (£30 odd) and then flash the map into the car. And you know 1st times takes forever but pull the fuel pump fuse and you'll be fine. Other maps I believe you just plonk into your phone and you can then flash a custom map (I haven't done this yet, but this is my assumption)

Stage 1 with 98 octane fuel takes the car to 350ish bhp and adds roughly the same increase in torque. But there are 3 versions of each map, V5, 6 and 7. V7 is a smooth and progressive map that doesn't give as much PUNCH into the seat but you sail on a wave of power which is refined. V6 is more a punch in the face that I love but can cause issues when your booting it and you're in a corner But then I also have linear throttle instead of stock throttle so I have more control over the power.
That's a huge increase for small money.
I like that punch too, I was running a 260bhp wrx before this and that had better punch, probably more due to the lag which you don't get with the 135, not a bad thing though power is from low down to the red line, not like the wrx where it's from 3k to about 6k.
App downloaded and cable ordered, couldn't think of a better use for my Christmas bonus
Thanks for the info, lots of good knowledgeable people on here.

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Danny_Boy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:00 am

MsportShaun1 wrote:
Danny_Boy wrote:

Stage 1 with 98 octane fuel takes the car to 350ish bhp and adds roughly the same increase in torque. But there are 3 versions of each map, V5, 6 and 7. V7 is a smooth and progressive map that doesn't give as much PUNCH into the seat but you sail on a wave of power which is refined. V6 is more a punch in the face that I love but can cause issues when your booting it and you're in a corner But then I also have linear throttle instead of stock throttle so I have more control over the power.
That's a huge increase for small money.
I like that punch too, I was running a 260bhp wrx before this and that had better punch, probably more due to the lag which you don't get with the 135, not a bad thing though power is from low down to the red line, not like the wrx where it's from 3k to about 6k.
App downloaded and cable ordered, couldn't think of a better use for my Christmas bonus
Thanks for the info, lots of good knowledgeable people on here.

Yeah with a FMIC in there youre looking at easy 360+. just factor in a metal charge pipe if you haven't already as they can split once the boost starts going up. Then little things like the PCV valve upgrade that helps with boost leaks.

You still get a nice punch on the V6 maps but you have an unholy amount of torque which make me :D :mrgreen: every time!

No worries and happy mapping :)

Just do exactly what Rob said when flashing it first time:

battery charger on under bonnet terminals
phone 100% battery
Fuel pump fuse pulled
all heating/fans off
Driving lights off
radio off
plug in phone through open window and flash, come back in 40 minutes to check phone, don't touch any buttons!

DONE 8)

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by rob180bhp » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:01 am

260 bhp wrx will feel like an old underpowered child's toy after a few mods
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Danny_Boy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:02 am

rob180bhp wrote:260 bhp wrx will feel like an old underpowered child's toy after a few mods
Yeah! Just wait till stage 1 is in there on 98 fuel, just make sure the road is dry the first time you punch it in 2nd or 3rd :D

MsportShaun1

Post by MsportShaun1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:06 am

rob180bhp wrote:260 bhp wrx will feel like an old underpowered child's toy after a few mods
It already does with no mods!

rob180bhp

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: MHD

Post by rob180bhp » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:06 am

MsportShaun1 wrote:

That's true, subaru are so 90s and havnt progressed since lol
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

krisabf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by krisabf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:13 am

MsportShaun1 wrote:

You're in for a treat then once you've flashed it. If you can get the traction it'll put a massive smile on your face. The increase in power is very noticeable :lol:
E82 135i N54 - MHD stage 1+, Forge FMIC, Turbosmart Plumback diverter valves, VRSF charge pipe. M3 LCAs, Whiteline bush inserts, resonator delete.

MsportShaun1

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: MHD

Post by MsportShaun1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:20 am

krisabf wrote:
MsportShaun1 wrote:

You're in for a treat then once you've flashed it. If you can get the traction it'll put a massive smile on your face. The increase in power is very noticeable
Can't wait now!! Lol
Still be a nervous time doing the first flash but I will follow the good advice given.
Just one thing, I thought hooking up a battery charger was due to the fuel pump running the entire time it's being flashed? So if I pull the fuel pump fuse is it still needed?

Return to “Engine Remapping/Tuning/Chipping”