Baby BMW Forum banner

JB+ bmw warranty and insurance

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Toed64 
#1 ·
Hi

This may be a stupid question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but just wanted to be sure
I have a m135i 13 plate and I pay monthly warranty with bmw,
I fitted a jb+ and loved it but I have taken it off because I thought it would invalidate the warranty I'm paying for. I was thinking if anything went wrong with engine or gearbox they could invalidate the warranty because of it. Is that the case or are you safe running one and still having to claim if something breaks? I know it's quick to get on and off but would imagine it will leave some trace in the ecu.
Also do people tell the insurance companies about it?

Thanks

Paul

#10 ·
marco_polo said:
5678 said:
I'm asking about F series...
Yes, it leaves all kinds of background 'tuner' codes. The extra boost sends way too much air through the MAF, which gives flow plausibility code 102001.

If you're man enough to tune it, you have to be man enough to pay for it - should it blow up.
Is this also true for the m240i with the jb4 installed, if so how does someone go about deleting all codes that flag up Marco?

#11 ·
I don't think you can clear those codes, they are there full stop. Whether the dealer can/can be bothered accessing them is another thing, depends on the costs of the warranty claim I guess!!

#12 ·
OneTwenty said:
I don't think you can clear those codes, they are there full stop. Whether the dealer can/can be bothered accessing them is another thing, depends on the costs of the warranty claim I guess!!
Cheers for the info, hopefully I don't need to make one.

#14 ·
harve91 said:
I removed mine about 4000 miles ago now will there still be a code left on my car now?
Thanks
Yes

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#16 ·
There does seem to be a data set stored in the ecu that BMW dealership 'wizzards' can access. The wizzard's apprentice on reception, who had none of the expertise, but had learned the supercillious and condescending manner perfectly, was able to show me some of it.

My JB4 had cleared all of the obvious data.

Access to this protected level of data cannot be a BMW dealership only thing. For those concerned, I would recommend speaking to Jason at BW Chiptune. He was a BMW master tech for years and he is likely to be able to tell you exactly what is recorded and if there is data that might invalidate a warranty, whether it can be deleted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.