Long term effect of remapping

Get more out of your engine by remapping, tuning & chipping

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

jonners
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Long term effect of remapping

Post by jonners » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:52 am

But they can be fun regardless of weight, took my mapped 118D down some Country Lanes, and had a right blast, it is actually the first time this Car put a smile on my Face, since owning a Ford Focus!
2011 E82 118D Sport Coupe - Black with Orange Seats

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:02 am

napes5 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:10 am
OneTwenty wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:01 am
napes5 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:43 am

A 120 diesel is never going to be quick, with a remap or anything...if you want something quick go for a 135i or something
Depends how you define quick, I found my old 120d to be good at making fast progress across country, certainly up to legal speeds. They are not silly fast, but then sometimes that can be just a much fun.

A small lightweight 120d remapped to 210-220bhp will be certainly good fun, even as a diesel. Mega fast cars when I was a teenager never had much more than 220bhp (Cosworths, etc etc).
True, but they were light and petrol. a 120d is a heavy lump and what can rev to 4k rpm? They're meant for economy not driving fun
I disagree, I had plenty of sideways fun in my old 120d, they are very quick for what they are. Petrol/diesel and rev levels have nothing to do with fun or the progress you can make.

As for weight, I don't think my E81 was particularly heavy. It was certainly no slower point to point than my old Focus ST was when it was standard and that was a 2.5l petrol so according to your theory should have been lightyears ahead. But I can tell you now, I could drive my 120d across country in the same time as my Focus ST. In fact even when my ST had 300bhp and was fully modded it wasn't hugely quicker point to point than my 120.

The only question mark I ever had was if my 120 was remapped without me knowing as it was hugely quicker than my E91 with the same engine, albeit in a smaller package.

You should take off the M2 rose tinted glasses, a decent 120d can be quick if you need it to be.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

napes5
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by napes5 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:19 am

OneTwenty wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:02 am
napes5 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:10 am
OneTwenty wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:01 am

Depends how you define quick, I found my old 120d to be good at making fast progress across country, certainly up to legal speeds. They are not silly fast, but then sometimes that can be just a much fun.

A small lightweight 120d remapped to 210-220bhp will be certainly good fun, even as a diesel. Mega fast cars when I was a teenager never had much more than 220bhp (Cosworths, etc etc).
True, but they were light and petrol. a 120d is a heavy lump and what can rev to 4k rpm? They're meant for economy not driving fun
I disagree, I had plenty of sideways fun in my old 120d, they are very quick for what they are. Petrol/diesel and rev levels have nothing to do with fun or the progress you can make.

As for weight, I don't think my E81 was particularly heavy. It was certainly no slower point to point than my old Focus ST was when it was standard and that was a 2.5l petrol so according to your theory should have been lightyears ahead. But I can tell you now, I could drive my 120d across country in the same time as my Focus ST. In fact even when my ST had 300bhp and was fully modded it wasn't hugely quicker point to point than my 120.

The only question mark I ever had was if my 120 was remapped without me knowing as it was hugely quicker than my E91 with the same engine, albeit in a smaller package.

You should take off the M2 rose tinted glasses, a decent 120d can be quick if you need it to be.
Yeah maybe, well i'll bow to your greater experience of diesels. I only test drove one once when the 120d first came out when I was a teenager and can't remember being impressed. Good low down torque though. Never owned a diesel, never will. Disagree with the lack of revs being equally as fun...no chance, just about get going and then have to change gear. Oh and the tractor noise.....all adds to the experience, or lack of.
BMW M2 DCT

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:46 am

You should test a 335d, you will change your opinion on everything about diesels then, including the noise!! :)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Jeo

Post by Jeo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:46 am
You should test a 335d, you will change your opinion on everything about diesels then, including the noise!! :)
That's originally what I wanted but couldn't find one within budget.

Must say I'm loving the 120 though I do 2000 miles a month and get over 50mpg and know that once it's mapped it'll make all the difference and put a bigger smile on my face 😁
2011 E87 120d M Sport, Space Grey, BW Chiptune Map

genkville

Post by genkville » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't BMW use the same engines 116, 118, 120 but they just program the ECU to produce different horse power?

There's a company offering lifetime warranty on ECU remaps....
Our maps are proven time and time again as reliable and effective. Even though we can offer incredible gains in power and torque, we also believe in safe and sensible tuning - that’s why our customers return time and time again. We offer a lifetime warranty against any software malfunctions, furthermore, all original maps are backed up on a dedicated server allowing the vehicle to be reverted back to the original format at any point in the future.

Before carrying out any remapping we always carry out a full diagnostic health check to ensure the vehicle is in the correct state of health and no current engine issues are present. We believe that drivability and reliability is as important as performance and therefore when you chose to tune with Avon Tuning you can rest assured that your vehicle is in safe hands.

Return to “Engine Remapping/Tuning/Chipping”