Test drive of M140i

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

SteadyRed

Test drive of M140i

Post by SteadyRed » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Got a test drive of M140i arranged tomorrow.

Have looked a various different cars, we thought a 3 series touring would be ideal for us, but getting two greyhounds into the back needs the seats dropping which defeats the point of have an estate.

The boot on the Golf R estate was a little bigger & the hounds could have fitted in without dropping the rear seats, the drive was the issue on the R estate, I just didn't feel connected to the car, yes I could really push on on the twisties & in the damp, but the car was going it not me.

I am hoping the M140i will feel more engaging for the driver, ok so in the damp it will not be as quick on the twisties, but I can live with that.

The car car I am testing is a 5 door, automatic, with active suspension, the basic specification I would buy, though I would have a sunroof, dynamic lights etc.

Obviously want to try the car in comfort, sport & sport plus & drive in those modes along poor Lincolnshire roads.

A biggie make sure the driving seat is comfortable, the Golf seat was borderline.

Any other things I should consider before or on the test drive?

NISFAN
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Test drive of M140i

Post by NISFAN » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Enjoy

Interested in hearing why you think the 140 isn't as quick as a golf R in the twisties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wenklaw
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by wenklaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:17 am

NISFAN wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:56 pm
Enjoy

Interested in hearing why you think the 140 isn't as quick as a golf R in the twisties.

'ok so in the damp it will not be as quick on the twisties'

I would agree the M140i wont be as fast in the twisties in the damp with the same average joe driver. The Golf R is a very capable car, just not as fun as the Mlites. Certainly doesn't have a as much punch in gear as the M140i either.

Ezzra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ezzra » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 am

NISFAN wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:56 pm
Enjoy

Until it's properly wet, I can't see there being much difference.

When it's wet, the Golf R will drive off into the distance :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Steven1077
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Steven1077 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:08 pm

I never understand the argument about faster in the wet, who in their right mind drives fast in the wet? :shock:
Drives F30 340i EB Auto
Previous F30 335d, F32 435i, F21 M135i F22 M235i

Triple S
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Triple S » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:23 pm

You may find that the 140 is not a car for dogs, they will not enjoy the low roof line or the firm ride.
Now - March 17 F20 M140i Auto - Melbourne Red - Black Dakota - Black Kidney Grills - MPE plus Carbon Fibre Tips
Gone - Sept 12 F20 125d Auto - Estoril blue - Black Dakota

topuphere666
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by topuphere666 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Triple S wrote:You may find that the 140 is not a car for dogs, they will not enjoy the low roof line or the firm ride.
I've got a 30kg chow chow who sits in the boot of my m135i, I think the exhaust sends him to sleep.

F20 M135i - auto -mineral grey, heated leather, pro nav and a few other bits

topuphere666
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by topuphere666 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Triple S wrote:You may find that the 140 is not a car for dogs, they will not enjoy the low roof line or the firm ride.
I've got a 30kg chow chow who sits in the boot of my m135i, I think the exhaust sends him to sleep.

F20 M135i - auto -mineral grey, heated leather, pro nav and a few other bits

Triple S
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Triple S » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:16 pm

topuphere666 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:59 pm

You are lucky, they are lovely dogs. My experience is limited to a very slobbery Boxer - not mine! He was decidedly unhappy in my car plus it took me a fair while the remove all his slobber from the inside, never again!
Now - March 17 F20 M140i Auto - Melbourne Red - Black Dakota - Black Kidney Grills - MPE plus Carbon Fibre Tips
Gone - Sept 12 F20 125d Auto - Estoril blue - Black Dakota

SteadyRed

Post by SteadyRed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Well we did the test drive, what is not to love.

Sorry for the length of this.

Engine & gearbox: What a combination! The last time I drove a torque converter auto it was something to be avoided, behaving like a slipping clutch! The ZF in combination with the 6 pot engine is a smooth a silk, nothing short of amazing. I thought DSG was good, in my mind this feels better, certainly pulling out of junctions you know it is going to pick up and go, I have found DSGs sometimes "dither", not so the ZF.

Chassis:

This car had the adaptive suspension which was why we travelled to test it, unfortunately it also had optional 19" rims and 35 profile tyres, which would have skewed the ride / handling a little. The ride in comfort was compliant, not banging & crashing on poor Lincolnshire road surfaces, but also not bouncing around, in sport it was clearly firmer and on these poor road surfaces would have become annoyingly choppy, however on half way decent road surfaces would have been ideal, certainly did not feel too firm.

Everything else

Driving position was very good, pedal position is not an issue on the auto. M Sport seat very adjustable, and as others have said electric seats are a nice option as once you have found the right position you want to keep it in memory, rather than manually adjust each time you change drivers. I wasn't aware of the tilt on the M Sport seat, really allowed me to find an ideal position.

Fit and finish was OK, although we both noticed that both rear doors creaked a little (door rubbers needing lubricating?) The car we drove was registered in March and newer cars apparently have a few upgrades, newer iDrive, leather over the dashboard binnacle being noticeable, we had a quick look at a M140i shadow Edition, which had these features.

Overall the M140i felt smaller than I thought it would, although it has the same wheel base (2.6M) as my 2010 Subaru Impreza, the M140i seem quite a bit narrower (I have not look at any numbers, this is just how it seemed) Mrs liked the M140i, but getting out of the BMW and back into our Subaru I can understand why she doesn't like driving the Subaru, it feels a lot bigger & more unwieldily, certainly more agricultoral.

Overall what a unassuming weapon, apart from the duel exhaust pipes, it could be any 1 series. We don't like big wings etc.

We are going to hang onto the Subaru, the dogs love it and so do I, it is my daily driver and has been for the last 7 years, the wife is going to order an M140i, quite a move from a Fiesta diesel! I could probably convince her her to go for a smaller engined 1 series and keep lots of money in the bank, but how much longer are we going to be able to enjoy the likes of the BMW 6 cylinder engine in small cars such as the 1 series, beside when we go up to Scotland I want to give this car a blast up the Applecross pass, the 4 cylinder just wouldn't be the same.

I always wanted a Lotus Sunbeam, but never managed to get one, this 1 Series is for me the modern day evolution of the Lotus Sunbeam.

If we order smartish, delivery will be around the end of the year, wife's birthday is January, so good timing.

I now know why most really like the M1xxi cars

Only problem then what do I replace the Subaru with?

Bingers
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bingers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 am

Gald you enjoyed the M140i. Really is a brilliant car, comfortable cruiser, decent space, fast when needed and understated which is why I got one. And the MPG it returns is fantastic considering it's performance. As a comparison my 2.0 TFSI DSG scirocco returned much less in the way of MPG and the 8 speed ZF is much better.

If you order one I can see a fight for the keys when it arrives, good job you get two!

With regards to the impreza, what model is it? Do you want a similar car, performance, AWD etc. Or something totally different?
Estoril Blue M140i 5dr auto - Radebe

McTrucky
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by McTrucky » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:56 am

Nice write up. Thanks for posting, will help others thinking about buying. Enjoy it when you get it.

Gimbal
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gimbal » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 am

SteadyRed wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 pm
Engine & gearbox: What a combination! The last time I drove a torque converter auto it was something to be avoided, behaving like a slipping clutch! The ZF in combination with the 6 pot engine is a smooth a silk, nothing short of amazing. I thought DSG was good, in my mind this feels better, certainly pulling out of junctions you know it is going to pick up and go, I have found DSGs sometimes "dither", not so the ZF.
Hm, my 140 does give me a lot of slipping clutch feeling on first and second gear, but I guess there is nothing I can do about that...

NISFAN
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NISFAN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Gimbal wrote:
SteadyRed wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 pm
Hm, my 140 does give me a lot of slipping clutch feeling on first and second gear, but I guess there is nothing I can do about that...
ZF8 locks up at 30km/h in all gears, and even earlier dependant on use.

NISFAN
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NISFAN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Glad both you and your wife enjoyed the 140 OP, fantastic cars.
Regarding your comment on the size of wheels, it has often been reported that the difference in ride comfort is not that noticeable between 18 and 19. Just in case you think 18" will be significantly smoother. However, if the 19" were also run flat tyres (typical on BMW m performance 19" alloys), then that is likely to have made more of a difference than wheel size.

If keeping the car absolutely standard is your priority, then adaptive suspension choice is fine, but if you don't mind going off the beaten track, you can get both more sporty and more comfort from an aftermarket suspension kit. In which case don't choose adaptive, as it limits options.

GL and keep us posted, especially on the deal. We can help you get a great discount.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”