Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Heated steerig wheel - issue?

Post by moulin12 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:32 am

Today's first world concern is that my heated steering wheel may have developed a bit of a fault.

Those of you who have this option will know that the heat produced is quite mild and is the same over the extent of the wheel. I noticed the other day that the wheel seemed to be warmer than usual, then realised that the top of the wheel was noticeably warmer than the rest of the wheel.

Should anyone care to test their when next out, and report back with their experience, it would be appreciated. It would prevent me having to straight up swallow the 'they all do that' line from the stealer.
F22 M240i 8AT

XWV
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Heated steerig wheel - issue?

Post by XWV » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:02 am

Has it been doing that consistently? If so there might be something wrong. Having had the heated wheel on my last F31, the new car and Mrs X's F45 about the only thing I've worked out is that it's wildly inconsistent both in terms of heat and which part of the wheel is hot/cool. On the F45 at least the top is generally hotter than anywhere else.
2017 Melbourne Red F20 M140i SE auto

Enthusiast
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Enthusiast » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Mine heats a little bit uneven, top is definitely warmest and around 4, 8 a clock as well.
I think it´s mainly because there´s more metal at 3,9 clock which absorbs a lot of the heat generated there.

I think the colder the cabin, the more pronounced this gets.
2015 120D | Sport-Auto | M-sport | Alpine White | Alcantara

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks for your replies, both. I find your responses reassuring really, knowing that it's the norm. And I did wonder if the differences were more pronounced in the colder weather, as well.

Thank again,
F22 M240i 8AT

Meerkat
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Meerkat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:45 pm

The heating on my steering wheel is not brilliant when it is cold! The heat is is patchy and weak around the steering wheel. However I believe the wheel is warmer when the heating is blowing onto the top! :lol:

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 pm

The heat is different at various points of the wheel.

I also find it gets a lot hotter when you have the main temp high, e.g. 24 degrees plus.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Mine's not consistent either, for me it feels as though the heat is absorbed by my hands at those points on the wheel so it feels warmer elsewhere initially when you move your hands there, but if you go back a few minutes later the original positions feel warm again.

midlifecrisis

Post by midlifecrisis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Having read this post yesterday and with the decreasing temperatures where I live, I've been using my heated steering wheel of late.

I have to agree with most of the above, in that although it is a nice little luxury, it does appear that the wheel seems to be hotter in some areas over others. I suspect that may be due, perhaps, to it being more obvious where we are actually holding the wheel.

Just my two pence worth on the topic.

As an aside, I have the heated seats and luuuuurve them, especially in the lumbar region, as I suffer with lower back pain and I find it certainly helps to ease some of that.
Paul

2010 123d M Sport Space Grey
2012 M135i Mineral Grey (Mustafa Mk I)
2014 M135i Sapphire Black (Mustafa Mk II)
2016 M140i Mineral Grey (Mustafa Mk III)

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”