Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Windscreen cost?

Post by McTrucky » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 pm

What does a new windscreen cost to be fitted? I've got a chip in mine and if they can't repair it I have a £140 excess to replace. So if I am coughing up this, how much extra for a genuine one? It would need fitting obviously so would end up at the local stealer if I go down that route.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Could do with a wash;

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Windscreen cost?

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:43 pm

As your car is so new, I'd argue you need a genuine screen for the BMW warranty / BMW rain sensor / etc. Fingers crossed they'll play ball.

It would be big dollar from BMW, I'd hazard a wild guess of around £500 (with their labour rates).
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I'd go with MP's £500 as a reasonable ballpark.

Windscreen alone is the thick end of £200, plus all the ancillaries (cleaner, trim bits if necessary, sealant), and minimum 1 hour labour (thats whates in the service guide), £500 wouldnt be an unexpected total.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-SERIES ... 8Petrol%29

Wouldnt want to fit a bonded one myself; rubber sealed ones were hard enough, back in the old days.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Ja50nK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ja50nK » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:54 pm

All sounds reasonable. My BMW E46 windscreen with rain/light sensor a few years ago was £391 just for the screen..then add fitting.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sunset Orange LCI2 M140i, Auto, 5 Door, MPE

Menace
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Menace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 am

McTrucky wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 pm
What does a new windscreen cost to be fitted? I've got a chip in mine and if they can't repair it I have a £140 excess to replace. So if I am coughing up this, how much extra for a genuine one? It would need fitting obviously so would end up at the local stealer if I go down that route.
Had mine replaced last year by Autoglass after a failed repair attempt. The (attempted) repair was £10 through insurance (Aviva) and the £75 for the replacement (minus the already paid £10). My understanding is that glass repair / replacement does not effect your premiums. Not sure I’ve ever believed that but to be fair my last premium did not jump as a result.

Who are you asking to repair / potentially replace it?
65 plate F20 M135i / MG / auto / well spec’ed with: Eibach Pro's / F21 tension strut / black grilles, splitter, side blades & diffuser / full de-badge

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 am

I'll phone the insurance and see what they say. Not worth £500 to save £140. I read my insurance policy and it does say that one screen change does not affect my No Claims record- but may still result in a premium increase. Two screens would affect my no claims.

I'll ask for a genuine part, but don't think I'll have much luck with that.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Could do with a wash;

Menace
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Menace » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 pm

McTrucky wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 am
I'll phone the insurance and see what they say. Not worth £500 to save £140. I read my insurance policy and it does say that one screen change does not affect my No Claims record- but may still result in a premium increase. Two screens would affect my no claims.

I'll ask for a genuine part, but don't think I'll have much luck with that.
I stated that I would only except OEM glass replacement. And to be completely fair I didn’t get any opposition whatsoever. I hadn’t heard ought for a few days so chased up only to be told: ‘we have ordered your glass sir and all is well’. As it turned out all was sound - my insurance company had actually run my number plate through their system and had in fact ordered OEM glass which thankfully included the additional sunband across the top.

I then requested that I only wanted a 5 or 6* rated Technician to fit the glass and that is what I got - on a Sunday. After quizzing the guy and of course checking the glass in his van I made him a brew and left him to it.

A perfect job and has been faultless since.
65 plate F20 M135i / MG / auto / well spec’ed with: Eibach Pro's / F21 tension strut / black grilles, splitter, side blades & diffuser / full de-badge

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:50 am

Awesome Menace. Loving your work. Will try this and see what happens. Thanks.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”