Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

KaneW1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

1 Series Scratched - Desperate for help

Post by KaneW1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:55 am

Hi all,

So as some of you may know, I have picked up a brand new 116d 15 days ago.
Anyway last night I cleaned it and took a picture of it Image

When I woke up today I went to get in. I noticed a mark on the bumper,
Baring in mind there's no cars or walls or anything around I have no idea how it happened, No cameras either unfortunately, I haven't driven it but this mark has appeared overnight, I know it won't polish it out but I'm desperate to get rid of this it's driving me insane.
Does anyone know 1. How to repair it myself
If not 2. How much roughly it will cost
Or 3. Anywhere around Manchester/North West that can do it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 BMW 116d Sport. Stage 1 Remap Incoming.

KaneW1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: 1 Series Scratched - Desperate for help

Post by KaneW1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 am

ImageImage

This is the car at the moment

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:02 am

Is it extra rubber/plastic/paint/material on top of your paint, or is it scraped through your paint?

If it's extra material, just polish it off with some fine cutting polish, or even a course one like the highly aggressive T Cut initially.

If it's a scrape through your paint, it's going to need professionally re-painting. Try to find a local decent smart repairer, get them to have a look at your wheel while you're at it too.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 am

It looks like a bike tyre has gone along it, or maybe a wheelie bin. Has it been windy near you? I've had scrapes like this when windy and stuff has blown past the car.

I would try and get the black stuff off first then assess the damage from there, as Marco says work out if that black stuff is from what hit the car or if it's under your paint.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Saby

Post by Saby » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:07 am

Smart repair should be able to do easily as the damage not near any other panel they'll just blow in and clear coat the whole bumper. I'd say around £100-150 top.

Uncle Tupelo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:14 am

Looks to me like it might be plastic/rubber adhering to the clearcoat. Does any of it rub off with your finger? Hopefully not as bad as it looks.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 am

When I zoom in here it looks like it's taken some chunks out of the plastic actually. A cleanup will help assess everything but some of the plastic needs a repair I think.

Was it parked on your drive as in the first pic? Maybe someone has used your drive to turn round another vehicle.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

KaneW1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by KaneW1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:42 pm

OneTwenty wrote:When I zoom in here it looks like it's taken some chunks out of the plastic actually. A cleanup will help assess everything but some of the plastic needs a repair I think.

Was it parked on your drive as in the first pic? Maybe someone has used your drive to turn round another vehicle.

Yes it was parked the same, it has taken chunks it's through the paint unfortunately.

KaneW1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by KaneW1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Uncle Tupelo wrote:Looks to me like it might be plastic/rubber adhering to the clearcoat. Does any of it rub off with your finger? Hopefully not as bad as it looks.
I've give it a good polish and a clean
No change thought it looks identical to that.
It's actually gone through the paint so going to need a re paint

KaneW1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by KaneW1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Saby wrote:Smart repair should be able to do easily as the damage not near any other panel they'll just blow in and clear coat the whole bumper. I'd say around £100-150 top.
Smart Repair, are they a company?

Thanks very much

KaneW1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by KaneW1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm

OneTwenty wrote:It looks like a bike tyre has gone along it, or maybe a wheelie bin. Has it been windy near you? I've had scrapes like this when windy and stuff has blown past the car.

I would try and get the black stuff off first then assess the damage from there, as Marco says work out if that black stuff is from what hit the car or if it's under your paint.
I've cleaned over and it just looks the same unfortunately, I don't think it's been windy enough to cause bikes/wheelie bins to ping around.

KaneW1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by KaneW1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 pm

marco_polo wrote:Is it extra rubber/plastic/paint/material on top of your paint, or is it scraped through your paint?

If it's extra material, just polish it off with some fine cutting polish, or even a course one like the highly aggressive T Cut initially.

If it's a scrape through your paint, it's going to need professionally re-painting. Try to find a local decent smart repairer, get them to have a look at your wheel while you're at it too.
Scraped through the paint unfortunately Marco, you wouldn't know anywhere in the north west where they could do it?

Uncle Tupelo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:16 pm

KaneW1 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 pm
Saby wrote:Smart repair should be able to do easily as the damage not near any other panel they'll just blow in and clear coat the whole bumper. I'd say around £100-150 top.
Smart Repair, are they a company?

Thanks very much

SMART stands for Small, Medium Area Repair Technology. It's a collection of methods used to repair smallish areas of bodywork damage (some paintwork, some dents, some do both) without the expense of full blown bodyshop work. Companies like Chipsaway, Dent Devils and others are well know. Some are mobile and others use the techniques at their premises. Google "SMART repair" and see who comes up in your area, or even better, hopefully someone here might have a personal recommendation in your area.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm

KaneW1 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm
OneTwenty wrote:It looks like a bike tyre has gone along it, or maybe a wheelie bin. Has it been windy near you? I've had scrapes like this when windy and stuff has blown past the car.

I've cleaned over and it just looks the same unfortunately, I don't think it's been windy enough to cause bikes/wheelie bins to ping around.

I suggest some tar & glue remover which should take off the excess material that's on top of the paint. That will then give you a clear idea of the damage underneath.

You sure the marks wasn't there before you washed it last night. If you look closely at the first picture you can almost make out something in that area, unless it's shadow of course.
Now: F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
Old: F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
Old: E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:58 pm

KaneW1 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 pm
marco_polo wrote:Is it extra rubber/plastic/paint/material on top of your paint, or is it scraped through your paint?

Scraped through the paint unfortunately Marco, you wouldn't know anywhere in the north west where they could do it?

I've been looking into bodyshops in the NW this past week as my Mrs scraped her E91 on a metal gate. Come up with a couple so far that I've heard good things about.

Gaskell Motor Bodies that do Audi, Aston etc - http://www.gaskellmotorbodies.com

And also Summit Auto Bodies in Burnley - http://summitautobodiesltd.co.uk

No direct experience of them as yet though, and not sure what they would charge. My damage is similar to yours but right across the rear wheel arch. :(

Might be worth trying Chips Away also - one of my neighbours had them round yesterday and he seemed to be painting a front wing on a brand new 17 plate Merc so I will try and get a look at the result soon.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”