Baby BMW Forum banner

SOS System Call Failure?

33K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  aiima2812 
#1 ·
Morning lads,

Well last night, I was turning my car off and it came up with the SOS System Failure, and has been on by a little exclamation mark on my black screen since....

Does anyone know a way to fix this, or am i better off going down to my local dealer and asking them if they can shed some light on it?

JDK

#2 ·
Looking online, someone claims to have fixed the problem by rebooting the iDrive system, deleting their phone from the Bluetooth interface and reconnecting it. No idea if it works, but worth a try before getting the dealer involved...

I'd suggest deleting the Bluetooth phone connection first, then rebooting iDrive (hold down the power button in the volume knob for 30 seconds, until the screen goes black and then shows the BMW ConnectedDrive logo, then release the button) and then re-pair your phone.

#3 ·
spl23 said:
Looking online, someone claims to have fixed the problem by rebooting the iDrive system, deleting their phone from the Bluetooth interface and reconnecting it. No idea if it works, but worth a try before getting the dealer involved...

I'd suggest deleting the Bluetooth phone connection first, then rebooting iDrive (hold down the power button in the volume knob for 30 seconds, until the screen goes black and then shows the BMW ConnectedDrive logo, then release the button) and then re-pair your phone.
Cheers bud! I'll give this a try when i finish work.

JDK

#4 ·
But the SOS system doesn't use your phone, the vehicle has an imbedded sim that it uses for the SOS system.

#5 ·
tweeky said:
But the SOS system doesn't use your phone, the vehicle has an imbedded sim that it uses for the SOS system.
True, but said embedded SIM is part of the ConnectedDrive system, so rebooting CD may help. There seemed some doubt on the site I saw as to whether removing and re-pairing the phone was necessary, but my experience of the strange interconnectedness of parts of the CD system (like the iPod crashing also knocking out the CD drive...) suggests it certainly won't hurt!

#6 ·
true

#7 ·
spl23 said:

Didn't manage to reboot the system, held the power button for god knows how long and it did nothing on the system...

Ended up booking it in at my local stealer for a diagnostic. £95+ vat. Outrage :x

I'll wait and see what they say, they didn't seam to know anything about it...so hopefully they can work something out for it.

#8 ·
JDK20_M135i said:
spl23 said:

Didn't manage to reboot the system, held the power button for god knows how long and it did nothing on the system...
You need to hold it down for far longer than seems ought to be necessary - I believe it is 30 seconds, but it seems like an age. You need to have the electrics in the car turned on, so there is something on the screen, and then just push in the volume knob as if muting the audio and don't let go until the screen goes black.

#9 ·
spl23 said:
JDK20_M135i said:
spl23 said:

You need to hold it down for far longer than seems ought to be necessary - I believe it is 30 seconds, but it seems like an age. You need to have the electrics in the car turned on, so there is something on the screen, and then just push in the volume knob as if muting the audio and don't let go until the screen goes black.
Okay, i'll try again tomorrow. However, I did hold it down for ages....

I was thinking of un-hooking the battery off the car, and seeing if that resets the iDrive and the SOS System failure..not 100% sure on what else that would do to the car. So i think that i will give that a miss.

Cheers for the help as well mate. Hopefully I can get it sorted out.

#11 ·
jeffj said:
Hey mate did you manage to fix this? Having the same problem on mine.
Hey Jeff, mine too, do you have connected drive? Are any of you connected drive services working? Mine dropped out at same time and the connected drive team have directed me to the dealership for a telematic ECU reset. If that doesn't work then looks like a new ECU will be needed.

Apparently it may be an issue with the 'inbuilt SIM card within the telematic ECU. Car is booked in on Friday so I'll let you know the outcome.

#12 ·
oxfordshirerob said:
jeffj said:
Hey Jeff, mine too, do you have connected drive? Are any of you connected drive services working? Mine dropped out at same time and the connected drive team have directed me to the dealership for a telematic ECU reset. If that doesn't work then looks like a new ECU will be needed.

Apparently it may be an issue with the 'inbuilt SIM card within the telematic ECU. Car is booked in on Friday so I'll let you know the outcome.
Hey man i just bought my 235i last sunday :( dreading it as its not under warranty. The weirdest thing for me was the the voice command and phone call doesn't take in my voice? Like mic doesn't work along with this SOS thing. As far as connected drive pretty sure its past the 3 year time limit

#13 ·
jeffj said:
oxfordshirerob said:
jeffj said:

Hey man i just bought my 235i last sunday :( dreading it as its not under warranty. The weirdest thing for me was the the voice command and phone call doesn't take in my voice? Like mic doesn't work along with this SOS thing. As far as connected drive pretty sure its past the 3 year time limit
Hey Chaps, sorry I didn't realise that you'd commented on this post.

I did get mine fixed, it was the speaker in the drivers footwell that had broken/come away and was causing the SOS System Failure and the microphones not to work. So before any new ecu or anything get them to check that...only cost me £50.

Reactions: active_ti
#14 ·
JDK20_M135i said:
jeffj said:
oxfordshirerob said:

I did get mine fixed, it was the speaker in the drivers footwell that had broken/come away and was causing the SOS System Failure and the microphones not to work. So before any new ecu or anything get them to check that...only cost me £50.
Deffinately worth doing what JDK20 recommends, it took me about 15 minutes to locate the lower speaker and all was plugged in working OK on mine and I get a 'bong' noise when the SOS alert comes on, and thats where the noise is coming from, so it appears all that is working fine on mine. On mine however the system works fine making calls from/to my phone, its just the SOS and connected drive services that are not working.

Jeff I feel your pain with regards to the warranty, I purchased the comprehensive BMW insured warranty on mine when I bought the car (as I bought the car second hand not from BMW, the car was 3 years old when I bought it) which you can pay for monthly and as the issue is classed as electrical the dealer said they would look to replace under warranty......don't know how old your 235i is, but may be worth looking into that warranty to cover any other defects that may creep up, if the car is new to you. Can cancel it at anytime, so may be peace of mind for a year or so? I got mine direct from the extended warranty page on the BMW site:
Definitely worth following JDK20's advice first though as could save a load of money if its the same issue JDK20 had.

#15 ·
oxfordshirerob said:
JDK20_M135i said:
jeffj said:

Deffinately worth doing what JDK20 recommends, it took me about 15 minutes to locate the lower speaker and all was plugged in working OK on mine and I get a 'bong' noise when the SOS alert comes on, and thats where the noise is coming from, so it appears all that is working fine on mine. On mine however the system works fine making calls from/to my phone, its just the SOS and connected drive services that are not working.

Jeff I feel your pain with regards to the warranty, I purchased the comprehensive BMW insured warranty on mine when I bought the car (as I bought the car second hand not from BMW, the car was 3 years old when I bought it) which you can pay for monthly and as the issue is classed as electrical the dealer said they would look to replace under warranty......don't know how old your 235i is, but may be worth looking into that warranty to cover any other defects that may creep up, if the car is new to you. Can cancel it at anytime, so may be peace of mind for a year or so? I got mine direct from the extended warranty page on the BMW site:
Definitely worth following JDK20's advice first though as could save a load of money if its the same issue JDK20 had.
Yeah, mine was still bonging also. And that's where it was coming from, just weird that the SOS System Failure kept coming up. Are you sure that you've checked everything is plugged in, there might be a few wires that need plugging in and it might be missing one, as mine as still bonging and my connected drive wasn't working either...

#16 ·
JDK20_M135i said:
oxfordshirerob said:
JDK20_M135i said:

Yeah, mine was still bonging also. And that's where it was coming from, just weird that the SOS System Failure kept coming up. Are you sure that you've checked everything is plugged in, there might be a few wires that need plugging in and it might be missing one, as mine as still bonging and my connected drive wasn't working either...
Hmmmmm, that is very interesting, there was only the connection to the speaker, which was what I was checking, are you saying there are more connections under there somewhere? I literally checked the speaker, unplugged and replugged it in at the speaker to be double sure......i didn't look for other cables........time to head back out to the car I think......let me know if I am missing a trick.

#17 ·
With my m235i, i bought and installed a new mic today but still no progress. :/

-Voice command cant pick up my sound
-SOS call system failure message
-Person on the other end cant hear me on bluetooth
-Connected drive doesn't display half the options (messages, etc) but i think this is because the 3 year membership ran out

Seen frightening forums saying replacement of TCU is needed. :(

#18 ·
oxfordshirerob said:
jeffj said:

Any updates yet mate?

#19 ·
jeffj said:
oxfordshirerob said:
jeffj said:

Any updates yet mate?
Yes, dealer had it in on Friday, they tried a software update, but that crashed before it ended. So they have held onto the car, but looking like the TCU will need replacing.

#20 ·
oxfordshirerob said:
jeffj said:
oxfordshirerob said:

Any updates yet mate?
Yes, dealer had it in on Friday, they tried a software update, but that crashed before it ended. So they have held onto the car, but looking like the TCU will need replacing.
You got an estimate of the total cost?

#22 ·
I bought my M135i back in November 2017, since then I have had the SOS Call Failure error appear. The car has been back 4 times, the last time the TCU was replaced, but low and behold, the error is back, plus this time my telephone microphone does not work along with the speech recognition feature (this fault may have been there since the error occurred, I am not sure as I didn't check this previously). I have a 2 year warranty with BMW and the car is going back next week once again! Reading the posts there is a wider problem as so many owners have had this issue. I am losing my patience with BMW and will raise this with BMW UK if this is not resolved, I am not holding my breathe for a happy outcome to be honest!

#23 ·
Gooner said:
I bought my M135i back in November 2017, since then I have had the SOS Call Failure error appear. The car has been back 4 times, the last time the TCU was replaced, but low and behold, the error is back, plus this time my telephone microphone does not work along with the speech recognition feature (this fault may have been there since the error occurred, I am not sure as I didn't check this previously). I have a 2 year warranty with BMW and the car is going back next week once again! Reading the posts there is a wider problem as so many owners have had this issue. I am losing my patience with BMW and will raise this with BMW UK if this is not resolved, I am not holding my breathe for a happy outcome to be honest!
When mine went in, it was fixed first time.....have they replaced the speaker underneath the drivers or passengers side footwell. That's where my issue was stemming from. Tell them to have a look there if they haven't already replaced it.

#24 ·
jeffj said:
With my m235i, i bought and installed a new mic today but still no progress. :/

-Voice command cant pick up my sound
-SOS call system failure message
-Person on the other end cant hear me on bluetooth
-Connected drive doesn't display half the options (messages, etc) but i think this is because the 3 year membership ran out

Seen frightening forums saying replacement of TCU is needed. :(
I had the same thing on my m135i took it to bmw to find that the telematics box was missing out the boot. No microphone and no connected drive and no sos phone calls

#26 ·
Sniffer said:
Does the bluetooth work because I believe the SOS function is done within the bluetooth module which is under the boot floor at the back next to the auxillary fuse box.
Little bit late in the thread mate... :lol2: