Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by fez_7 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've been monitoring it for quite a while.

For those who have installed the android screen, what are your reviews on it now you've had it installed and had time to fully get to grips with it? What are the pros and cons?

The obvious advantages seem to be that you get the bigger screen as well as navigation and spotify.

I'm concerned about how long it takes to load up compared to before however and how hit and miss the GPS location can be? Is the android reliable or are people now regretting it? Would you still recommend to go ahead?

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm

The only downside I see is that I can't connect to the jb4 app, also low sun can cause it to reflect in your eyes. Apart from that it's great.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by fez_7 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm
The only downside I see is that I can't connect to the jb4 app, also low sun can cause it to reflect in your eyes. Apart from that it's great.
Cheers for replying. Does it take long to start up and does everything else work correctly?

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm

fez_7 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm
Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm
The only downside I see is that I can't connect to the jb4 app, also low sun can cause it to reflect in your eyes. Apart from that it's great.
Cheers for replying. Does it take long to start up and does everything else work correctly?
Takes no longer to startup that the normal start up time, select the menu button once it's loaded and it takes you into the Android screen. Everything else works perfectly for me, no complaints really, if you are fitting the GPS make sure to fit it correctly have a look back on this thread for the best place. I would highly recommend it, nice little piece of kit.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by fez_7 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm
fez_7 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm
Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm
The only downside I see is that I can't connect to the jb4 app, also low sun can cause it to reflect in your eyes. Apart from that it's great.
Cheers for replying. Does it take long to start up and does everything else work correctly?
Takes no longer to startup that the normal start up time, select the menu button once it's loaded and it takes you into the Android screen. Everything else works perfectly for me, no complaints really, if you are fitting the GPS make sure to fit it correctly have a look back on this thread for the best place. I would highly recommend it, nice little piece of kit.
Great stuff, just what I was hoping to hear!

Sorry the only other thing I forgot to ask is how are people connecting it to the internet for Waze and Spotify for example? Are you using your phone as a personal hotspot? Does this use a lot of data?
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:43 pm

fez_7 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:37 pm
Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm
fez_7 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm


Cheers for replying. Does it take long to start up and does everything else work correctly?
Takes no longer to startup that the normal start up time, select the menu button once it's loaded and it takes you into the Android screen. Everything else works perfectly for me, no complaints really, if you are fitting the GPS make sure to fit it correctly have a look back on this thread for the best place. I would highly recommend it, nice little piece of kit.
Great stuff, just what I was hoping to hear!

Sorry the only other thing I forgot to ask is how are people connecting it to the internet for Waze and Spotify for example? Are you using your phone as a personal hotspot? Does this use a lot of data?
I have a 30G per month limit on data, I turn my phone into a hot spot and connect to it, I don't really use Waze. I have tested it and works great, I always keep my Spotify music on my phone so just Bluetooth that to the car.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by fez_7 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:43 pm
fez_7 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:37 pm
Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm


Takes no longer to startup that the normal start up time, select the menu button once it's loaded and it takes you into the Android screen. Everything else works perfectly for me, no complaints really, if you are fitting the GPS make sure to fit it correctly have a look back on this thread for the best place. I would highly recommend it, nice little piece of kit.
Great stuff, just what I was hoping to hear!

Sorry the only other thing I forgot to ask is how are people connecting it to the internet for Waze and Spotify for example? Are you using your phone as a personal hotspot? Does this use a lot of data?
I have a 30G per month limit on data, I turn my phone into a hot spot and connect to it, I don't really use Waze. I have tested it and works great, I always keep my Spotify music on my phone so just Bluetooth that to the car.
Cheers mate, much appreciated. I don't have EBT so I use a Bluetooth AUX adapter instead but I think I will then be able to control this through Spotify on the screen instead of my phone. I will use my phone as a personal hotspot. Would also be interested to hear if anyone has managed to get the reverse camera wired up...
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

User avatar
BMW_120
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 pm
Location: SE

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by BMW_120 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 pm

fez_7 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 am
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've been monitoring it for quite a while.

For those who have installed the android screen, what are your reviews on it now you've had it installed and had time to fully get to grips with it? What are the pros and cons?

The obvious advantages seem to be that you get the bigger screen as well as navigation and spotify.

I'm concerned about how long it takes to load up compared to before however and how hit and miss the GPS location can be? Is the android reliable or are people now regretting it? Would you still recommend to go ahead?
I've had the screen for a few months now and overall I'm more than happy with it.
It's a beautiful screen. Only when I first installed it did I realise how ugly the OEM screen actually was. The way the new screen improves the interior of the car is indescribable.

The load up time you mentioned is not a problem, it boots rather quickly.
But, at times when you first start the screen it can be a bit laggy, however it gets faster and smoother as it "warms up". I think this has more to do with the Android version (4.4.4) being a bit sluggish, since the specs are not bad. I've noticed if you don't rush to use the device but let it boot for a few minutes while the car warms up, you don't notice the lag at all.

The GPS works fine most of the time. For some reason it seems to work better with Google Maps than Waze per example, with the latter app being slower to boot. This however seems to be an issue on any device. Even on my phone Waze is very inconsistent until it starts properly.
Just like most other people, I've put the GPS antenna just above the glove compartment, somewhere within the inside of the red area marked in this image: https://i.imgur.com/HKlBvsJ.png

With all the features the Android screen brings, it's a steal for the price it's being sold for. No regrets getting it whatsoever and I'd definitely recommend buying one. Feel free to ask if you have any other specific questions before purchase.
2013 120dA F20 SL Alpine White

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by fez_7 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:55 pm

BMW_120 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 pm
fez_7 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 am
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've been monitoring it for quite a while.

For those who have installed the android screen, what are your reviews on it now you've had it installed and had time to fully get to grips with it? What are the pros and cons?

The obvious advantages seem to be that you get the bigger screen as well as navigation and spotify.

I'm concerned about how long it takes to load up compared to before however and how hit and miss the GPS location can be? Is the android reliable or are people now regretting it? Would you still recommend to go ahead?
I've had the screen for a few months now and overall I'm more than happy with it.
It's a beautiful screen. Only when I first installed it did I realise how ugly the OEM screen actually was. The way the new screen improves the interior of the car is indescribable.

The load up time you mentioned is not a problem, it boots rather quickly.
But, at times when you first start the screen it can be a bit laggy, however it gets faster and smoother as it "warms up". I think this has more to do with the Android version (4.4.4) being a bit sluggish, since the specs are not bad. I've noticed if you don't rush to use the device but let it boot for a few minutes while the car warms up, you don't notice the lag at all.

The GPS works fine most of the time. For some reason it seems to work better with Google Maps than Waze per example, with the latter app being slower to boot. This however seems to be an issue on any device. Even on my phone Waze is very inconsistent until it starts properly.
Just like most other people, I've put the GPS antenna just above the glove compartment, somewhere within the inside of the red area marked in this image: https://i.imgur.com/HKlBvsJ.png

With all the features the Android screen brings, it's a steal for the price it's being sold for. No regrets getting it whatsoever and I'd definitely recommend buying one. Feel free to ask if you have any other specific questions before purchase.
Thanks mate. Regarding the lag, is this just the Android system or does it affect the iDrive system too?
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

User avatar
BMW_120
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 pm
Location: SE

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by BMW_120 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 pm

fez_7 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:55 pm
Thanks mate. Regarding the lag, is this just the Android system or does it affect the iDrive system too?
Just the Android system. If I recall correctly the iDrive system is independent.
2013 120dA F20 SL Alpine White

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by fez_7 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 pm

BMW_120 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 pm
fez_7 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:55 pm
Thanks mate. Regarding the lag, is this just the Android system or does it affect the iDrive system too?
Just the Android system. If I recall correctly the iDrive system is independent.
Brilliant. Seems like it ticks all the boxes for the price!

Was it fairly straightforward fitting it yourself?
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

User avatar
BMW_120
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 pm
Location: SE

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by BMW_120 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:11 pm

fez_7 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 pm
BMW_120 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 pm
fez_7 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:55 pm
Thanks mate. Regarding the lag, is this just the Android system or does it affect the iDrive system too?
Just the Android system. If I recall correctly the iDrive system is independent.
Brilliant. Seems like it ticks all the boxes for the price!

Was it fairly straightforward fitting it yourself?
If you're quick it only takes 30 min, if you take your time and don't bother rushing it expect a good hour or two.
I had issues with no audio being played from the Android screen, so until I realised I had to plug in the Android AUX into the armrest I had re-installed the screen like 3 times :oops: Not everyone has to do this though, it seems to vary from device/car.
2013 120dA F20 SL Alpine White

User avatar
fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by fez_7 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 pm

No worries, thanks a lot for your advice.
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

User avatar
vded
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:44 am
Location: Greece (Kalamata)
Contact:

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by vded » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:24 pm

Hello guys, thank you for the feedback.
I've ordered the 10.25" too. I bought it from eBay and they'll ship it to me within 2 days. They test it and install the map first before sending it.
Which is the best place to fit the gps antenna? If you fit it in the glovebox does it have good communication with the satellites? I think it's better to install it on the dash so it can track immediately the satellites.
As for the camera I've bought this one https://m.ebay.com/itm/Car-Reverse-Came ... 0888532015
It's the only one with Sony lens and HD resolution (1280x720 pixels). And supports 1000 TV lines (this one you should check when speaking for cameras, like the CCTV systems) whereas other support 500 TV lines.

MikeJM
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by MikeJM » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi,

Any update?
Firmware, softbare, modifications or improvement apks?

The BMW F20/F21 Android 10.25 retro-fit unit seems to have lost both interest and user updates on BMW addicts, Bimmerpost and babybmw sites?

Any updates, news or improvements would be very welcome .

Many thanks
Mike

Post Reply

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”