Baby BMW Forum banner

New member and f20 'cheap' satnav retrofit

58K views 210 replies 51 participants last post by  Judd120 
#1 ·
Hi guys my names oliver just joined as a f20 120d sport owner love my car but really wish I had satnav.....I have purchased the following to complete my cheap retrofit:
Hu_entrynav part number:9365843 £150 check realoem for other compatible part numbers
Nbt emulator:£36 from aliexpress
Gps antenna:£4
I drive controller:£28 posted from eBay I got lucky :D
Glovebox USB is optional but I'll see how I get on as I already have the USB in the armrest.
Watch this space.......

#3 ·
Ogb666 said:
Hi guys my names oliver just joined as a f20 120d sport owner love my car but really wish I had satnav.....I have purchased the following to complete my cheap retrofit:
Hu_entrynav part number:9365843 £150
Nbt emulator:£36 from aliexpress
Gps antenna:£4
I drive controller:£28 posted from eBay I got lucky :D
Glovebox USB and I drive controller are optional but I'll see how I get on as I already have the USB in the armrest.
Watch this space.......
Might want to check this out if you want a bigger screen and run Android also.

#4 ·
Hi Guys,

New member here with a 14-Plate F20 116d ED.
Always missed having Sat Nav and extended BT in the car and this thread looks do-able. Thing is, I just had the s*** news my cars head unit is dead - quoted £1200+VAT to get part, fitted and coded (only done 27k miles!)

Do you know if I was to follow this guide - replacing the parts the way you have - that it might also replace the faulty head unit so I can get it done cheaper than quoted?

I know it might be a long shot, but looking for a good outcome from a bad situation!!

Cheers,
Ben

#5 ·
milkyjomo said:
Hi Guys,

New member here with a 14-Plate F20 116d ED.
Always missed having Sat Nav and extended BT in the car and this thread looks do-able. Thing is, I just had the s*** news my cars head unit is dead - quoted £1200+VAT to get part, fitted and coded (only done 27k miles!)

Do you know if I was to follow this guide - replacing the parts the way you have - that it might also replace the faulty head unit so I can get it done cheaper than quoted?

I know it might be a long shot, but looking for a good outcome from a bad situation!!

Cheers,
Ben
You would be replacing the head unit so I would assume so!

#7 ·
Ogb666 said:
Yes you would be replacing the head unit anyway.just make sure you get the right headunit my post above is for the one without dab radio.
I'm having difficulty working out which one I need. I'm after 1 with DAB and so I can use EBT (I don't have a separate combox). Is there anything else I need to look out for apart from the other parts you mentioned above? Also would this work with my existing iDrive controller (which doesn't have a Nav button)?

#10 ·
Ogb666 said:
If you already have dab you need any one of these part numbers:
If you don't have dab already it's any of these:

No combox required for any of these as it's built in to the headunit.
Much appreciated! I do have DAB so I will look out for any of those part numbers on the link you provided then I should hopefully be able to code nav and EBT!

Is eBay my best bet for the new HU. I see you paid around £150 so I take it this is the ballpark figure...

#12 ·
Ogb666 said:
You're a legend! So realistically I could get nav and EBT working for around £200 or less with all the parts?
So I also need just the GPS antenna and NBT/nav emulator?
Would my exisiting iDrive controller (without the nav button) work or do I need a new one?

Also, does the emulator affect any of the existing setup? ie. would I lose my service history saved on iDrive?

#15 ·
Ogb666 said:
No new controller needed the old one works fine.with the emulator mine was showing the donor car service history but It came back when I serviced it at Bmw.other than that the emulator took ages to come I think about 1 month.
Ok mate, cheers.My service is due very soon so might get this all installed first. I'm wondering whether there is a way to code the emulator to show the correct settings maybe?

#16 ·
milkyjomo said:
Thanks for the reply

Questions above answered more of mine too - I have no combox or EXBT but good to hear I don't need the combox to fit and upgrade.

What level of coding do you need to get these working? Is a lot of it plug and play beyond what you put in your guide?
Coding was the easiest part it's basically just reading the vehicle options and changing/adding them.theres lots of coding guides i used this one:

#17 ·
fez_7 said:
Ogb666 said:
No new controller needed the old one works fine.with the emulator mine was showing the donor car service history but It came back when I serviced it at Bmw.other than that the emulator took ages to come I think about 1 month.
Ok mate, cheers.My service is due very soon so might get this all installed first. I'm wondering whether there is a way to code the emulator to show the correct settings maybe?
I think if the unit is reset before being removed from the donor car then the service history will show up.you might be lucky.

#18 ·
Ogb666 said:
fez_7 said:
Ogb666 said:
I think if the unit is reset before being removed from the donor car then the service history will show up.you might be lucky.
Cheers. Btw did you stick with the maps that came with the HU or were you able to update these at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.