Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

steveespania
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Poor body repair, looking for advice

Post by steveespania » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:31 am

Just had car back after body repairs due to someone opening a door from a parked vehicle whilst I was driving past. There is a problem with the bonnet now not aligning/closing easily.

I am going back to the repairers and am considering how to approach them. Should I insist on a new bonnet as I believe it is twisted or is it possible to repair? Any advice would be appreciated. Images before and after below.

Bonnet before repair.jpg
Before Repair showing misalignment
Bonnet before repair.jpg (30.73 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Bonnet.jpg
After Repair showing same misalignment
Bonnet.jpg (158.88 KiB) Viewed 445 times
2016 118d Advantage Navi Auto, Glacier Silver, LED Headlights, Eton b100xw door speakers.

BMW_120
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Poor body repair, looking for advice

Post by BMW_120 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Is your insurance paying for it all? If yes, you surely should be able to demand a brand new bonnet
2013 120dA F20 SL Alpine White

steveespania
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveespania » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:25 pm

BMW_120 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 pm
Is your insurance paying for it all? If yes, you surely should be able to demand a brand new bonnet
The other driver's insurance company is paying as I was not at fault. In Spain, unlike in the U.K., there is no knock for knock arrangement with fault being sorted out later. It took 4 weeks for the other driver's insurance company to admit fault and for repairs to commence.

I have registered my complaint with my insurance company who in turn have advised the other company. My insurance company say that the repairing garage have to be given an opportunity to correct the fault, it's just that having spoken to them, I'm pretty sure they are going to try to straighten the bonnet. I have always thought that this is nigh on impossible so was hoping for some expert advice before going back to the repairers tomorrow.

My insurance company have advised me that if the remedial work is unsatisfactory, they will send their own assessor to examine the vehicle and I am trying to avoid this as I have already been without the vehicle for 6 weeks.
2016 118d Advantage Navi Auto, Glacier Silver, LED Headlights, Eton b100xw door speakers.

SSN17
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SSN17 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 pm

I had my first ever knock in my old mk6 golf last year and suffered from similar damage. The car t-boned someone who pulled out of a junction and pushed the bonnet over to one side. As it was my first ever occurrence with insurance and car accidents, I was none the wiser to send my car to their recommended repairer and receive an absolute c*ckup of a repair back on my car. My car needed a new radiator, bumper, two headlights, grill, wing and realistically a new bonnet. After arguing for a new headlight as they were only replacing one, they never swapped the bonnet which was damaged and bent. The repairer instead decided to poorly re-align the bonnet, filled it with filler and half sprayed it then did a terrible job at blending the paint in. I eventually gave up with the repairers after my bumper came out its clips on both sides 4 months after the repair and traded the car in, however, had the bonnet been new I wouldn't have had problems with alignment as they would actually need to take the part off and fix it on instead of just playing with the holding struts. I'd go to your ombudsman and speak to them, tell them you're not happy and that you won't take your car back till it's in the condition it was in before the accident. I had an external inspector from my insurance come and inspect my car as well who I believe had a strong link with the repair centre and didn't really agree with me on several points of the repair quality. You have a legal right to refuse it as many times as you want until your not satisfied. Mine went back four times before I gave up on UK Assistance Repair Centre in Glasgow.
F21 125i Manual | Alpine White | Black Leather | Heated Seats | Adaptive Xenon Headlights | Folding Mirrors | Driver Comfort Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | M-Sport Braking System | Front + Rear PDC | Visibility Package | Sun Protection Package

steveespania
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveespania » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm

SSN17 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 pm
I had my first ever knock in my old mk6 golf last year and suffered from similar damage. The car t-boned someone who pulled out of a junction and pushed the bonnet over to one side. As it was my first ever occurrence with insurance and car accidents, I was none the wiser to send my car to their recommended repairer and receive an absolute c*ckup of a repair back on my car. My car needed a new radiator, bumper, two headlights, grill, wing and realistically a new bonnet. After arguing for a new headlight as they were only replacing one, they never swapped the bonnet which was damaged and bent. The repairer instead decided to poorly re-align the bonnet, filled it with filler and half sprayed it then did a terrible job at blending the paint in. I eventually gave up with the repairers after my bumper came out its clips on both sides 4 months after the repair and traded the car in, however, had the bonnet been new I wouldn't have had problems with alignment as they would actually need to take the part off and fix it on instead of just playing with the holding struts. I'd go to your ombudsman and speak to them, tell them you're not happy and that you won't take your car back till it's in the condition it was in before the accident. I had an external inspector from my insurance come and inspect my car as well who I believe had a strong link with the repair centre and didn't really agree with me on several points of the repair quality. You have a legal right to refuse it as many times as you want until your not satisfied. Mine went back four times before I gave up on UK Assistance Repair Centre in Glasgow.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, a very sorry story that I hope you've managed to move on from. Unfortunately there is no independent body in Spain to make a complaint to so I am reliant upon the insurer and repairer sorting it out.

Ed875

Post by Ed875 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Finding a decent quality car body repair centre seems to becoming harder to find, even supposed manufacture approved outfits can produce quite shoddy work, from recent experience.

If your not happy, which I can understand going by the photo, then you need to be firm in how you want things resolved, however you possibly need to be prepared to be without your car again unfortunately.

Hope you get sorted.

Ed

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 am

get an independent engineer to assess the repair will cost you but you have ammo then to fire back at the insurance companies.
Current 2015 F22 Melbourne Red 220D loaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”