Thoughts on Reverse Assist Camera and Park Assist

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

lukebrown

Thoughts on Reverse Assist Camera and Park Assist

Post by lukebrown » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi, I am thinking of speccing the Reverse Assist Camera and/or Park Assist but have heard mixed reviews. Could people give me their thoughts?

Also, I have heard the reverse assist camera looks a bit odd and gets dirty easily? Can someone who has it upload a picture?

Thanks

cossied
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Thoughts on Reverse Assist Camera and Park Assist

Post by cossied » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 pm

I have both, with hindsight i would have specced something else instead of the camera. the assist is good but the camera is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion. wish I had chosen electric memory seats instead but I am not sure of the cost difference.

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 am

Can only offer my opinion which is that I think the reversing cam, especially in conjunction with the indicator features that come with park, assist is neat - and a nice little option to have. As well as guide markers you get distance markers that are helpful (and seem to impress passengers, especially when set up to display along side the park assist graphics). Yes, the resolution isn't top draw, but it's acceptable, and I've never had a particularly problem with getting a dirty cam (though this may be because of different height / location mounting on the 240i). I spec;d it on a whim, but with use have come to appreciate it. Best thing would be to get a dealer to show you the combination.

edit: wasn't advocating the park assist feature in terms of self parking (I don't use this as it parks too close to the kerb) - simply noting that the distance readout alongside the camera (if selected in the idrive set up) benefits from additional sensors that come with park assist
Last edited by moulin12 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F22 M240i 8AT

browser
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by browser » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 am

I have both. The park assist is a bit of a gimmick and probably only used it a few times showing off to the passenger. The reversing camera for me is essential as I have a very tight turn into my garage and I have marked a yellow stripe on my garage floor which I line up on the camera. Then, even with a 2 cm gap on my offside I know I’ll get in. Does get dirty quickly though but wouldn’t be without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 am

I really like them as options and if I was given the chance now to get rid of them and have the cash back from BMW I would refuse.

Camera - this really depends on your usage but for me I have to reverse down my drive and through a single garage door - my garage is wide so no issue there but when I reverse to the back I have loads of obstacles to park near (bikes, cement mixer etc) and I find it really perfect for this. It's also good in general parking as it allows you to see high kerbs etc. My E91 just has reversing sensors and I find myself looking at the centre screen for the camera and then realise it's not there and it feels odd.

Park Assist - I don't use this a great deal and wouldn't need to use it anyway as I am good at parking but it's more a convenience thing. If you do happen to be parking into a defined space it is easy to operate this and just let the car do it's thing. It's also very satisfying to watch it, and any passengers are amazed when they see it in action, shallow I know!! :D

I would recommend both of them, but only if it keeps you under the £40k tax limit if buying new.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Matthaus
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matthaus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:57 am

I tried a demo car with the camera and I did not like it - it was an expensive option that I did not bother with, it was one of the few options on the car I did not spec and the money went to more interesting essentials. PA I havent ever experienced.

Maybe you would get used to it but it seems almost unnatural staring at the screen while reversing.

The PDC sensors and their audible bleeps are more than adequate IMO and are also displayed on the screen.
BMW 135i Coupe - Sold
BMW M240i Coupe - Finally arrived!

jimBabyBMW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:29 am

If you are keeping under 40k, get the park assist, then retrofit the camera after. I think they are both great and on a split screen, they look awesome.

I've found both helpful in equal measure, especially the guide lines on the cam, you can see exactly where you are pointing towards and they move with the steering, very cool.

Also means the wife has less chance of reversing into something.

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:57 am

Not to mention with park assist you also get the auto front sensors which turn on as you approach something at the front.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

Sykoschematic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Sykoschematic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Sensors are okay up to a certain point but the camera is wicked, having both makes things so much easier. I'll be having one on all my future cars as I'm so used to it now that I'd hate not having it.
66 F20 M140i Auto

OneTwenty
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Sykoschematic wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:36 pm
Sensors are okay up to a certain point but the camera is wicked, having both makes things so much easier. I'll be having one on all my future cars as I'm so used to it now that I'd hate not having it.
+1

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:18 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm
Sykoschematic wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:36 pm
+1
+1. For me it's another of those 'once tried, must always have'.
F22 M240i 8AT

msej449
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by msej449 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Reversing Assist Camera: Definitely. Personally, I wouldn't be without the camera. The viewing angle is usefully wide and as mentioned, it helps a lot with raised kerbs, low walls, and idiots walking straight into your path because they are glued to their mobiles. Plus children cycling on the pavement as I reverse out of my drive.

PDC Front+Rear: I could live without it but it is useful on occasion. Unfortunately, the BMW PDC isn't the best, compared to Audi and Mercedes that I've driven.

Park Assist: Hopeless. I had it as part of a package on my previous 3 Series and never got it to work when I really needed it. I think I managed to get it to work once in three years. It's for the USA as far as I can see - fine when you're driving along a wide boulevard with huge spaces betweem the cars but no use on a typical UK street. You can tell I'm not impressed!
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

lukebrown

Post by lukebrown » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Could anyone upload a picture of the revering camera on the 1 series? Heard it looks like a 5th parking sensor?

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Thrash » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:54 pm

lukebrown wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:10 pm
Could anyone upload a picture of the revering camera on the 1 series? Heard it looks like a 5th parking sensor?
Not really like a 5th parking sensor as it's not colour coded and isn't inline with the sensors.
I had a reversing camera on my previous car as it came as standard and I couldn't be without it now. I had a loan 220d when my 140 was at the dealers and I didn't realise how reliant I was on it. I actually think the BMW offering is pretty poor - the resolution is awful.

You can see it in this photo here:

M140i // Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats

lukebrown

Post by lukebrown » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Thrash wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:54 pm
lukebrown wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:10 pm
Not really like a 5th parking sensor as it's not colour coded and isn't inline with the sensors.
I had a reversing camera on my previous car as it came as standard and I couldn't be without it now. I had a loan 220d when my 140 was at the dealers and I didn't realise how reliant I was on it. I actually think the BMW offering is pretty poor - the resolution is awful.

You can see it in this photo here:

Thanks for the picture! I had seen this one online so thought it was like that, maybe they have changed it or this isn’t an m140i rear bumper
Attachments
4049D8C0-AD0A-4F08-BAF0-C191C88ECD30.jpeg
4049D8C0-AD0A-4F08-BAF0-C191C88ECD30.jpeg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”