F20 Cruise Control fitted

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Post Reply
BFleming
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:40 pm

F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by BFleming » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am

Today I put cruise control on my F20, and although I had no previous experience of eSys coding, I managed to get that installed & running first time too.

The steps I went through were:

Bought the eSys cable from Amazon (OHP 10122 OBD2 Diagnostic Adapter Connector) along with a USB to Ethernet adapter as my laptop didn't have one (UGREEN USB Ethernet , USB Network Adapter ,USB 2.0 to RJ45 Lan Adapter).
Downloaded the eSys software. I used this guide - I'm sure other guides are available, I'm just stating what worked for me.
Bought the cruise control switches from eBay. There are several different types depending on what steering wheel you have - I used RealOEM to find the correct buttons from my non-Sport wheel. Note although I had a multi function steering wheel (MFSW) I only had the 'LIM' speed limiter button - so the correct part for my car was 61319261859. This is the only BMW part I needed.
I disconnected the battery at this stage before the airbag removal. I'm less worried about exploding the airbag, more about the horn going off during removal!
For the physical install I used this guide.
My airbag was a pain to remove using the slits, so I ended up doing it the way the guide suggested (also shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRnxGSAHNNY which was surprisingly quick & I didn't break/rip anything :D )
The removal of my old switches was really easy, and putting the new switches in was plug & play, then pop the airbag back in & the steering column trims back on - physical job done. Reconnect the battery at this stage, and start the car up. the only errors you'll get at this stage are to reset the time & date. The cruise won't work yet, and your new 'SET' button on the left will act as your old 'LIM' button did.

Coding...
In short, I added code 544 to the Vehicle Order (VO, or in German FA). Using the above mentioned guide again, Page 28 onwards, I fired up eSys, selected my car (F020, which is a F20 1 series) and followed the guide. All was crystal clear in the process right up to the coding of individual ECU's - that's where it became 'open to interpretation', but I used the information from the cruise control retrofit guide to code the following ECU's:
- FEM (body)
- ICM
- BCKOMBI (the instruments, sometimes just called Kombi, but it was labelled BCKOMBI in my car)

At this stage I got errors related to tyre pressure control as it needed to be reset (the instruments forget what temporary information they have stored, like bord computer / trip / tyre pressures.

Quick test drive afterwards & cruise works perfectly, I get all the correct messages on the display, the green cruise control warning light and the red or green marker on the speedometer. The jockey wheel works perfectly too for increasing / decreasing the speed. All in all I'm very happy with this, especially as the cost was under £100 (incluing the eSys kit, which I will undoubtedly use again).

Hope this helps someone, but post a message if you need any clarifications.
2010 BMW E90 LCI 320d Efficient Dynamics
2013 BMW F20 114i SE
1983 Porsche 944

KFY_ibo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by KFY_ibo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:57 pm

cheers for that nice little read
2013 Alpine White 116i M-Sport #us11boo

User avatar
texasjohn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by texasjohn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm

Nice one

Thanks for the write up
BMW 335i SE N55

happy_micky
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:19 am

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by happy_micky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Nice write-up mate...

No cruise control is the only thing that I didn't like about my baby bmw, got every spec I wanted on the car and thought cruise control was standard... and it wasn't...such a pain driving long distance after getting used to wife's adaptive cruise control on her car...

Where about are you located mate, I was thinking if you could do mine for a fee?

oxfordshirerob
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by oxfordshirerob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:37 pm

happy_micky wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Nice write-up mate...

No cruise control is the only thing that I didn't like about my baby bmw, got every spec I wanted on the car and thought cruise control was standard... and it wasn't...such a pain driving long distance after getting used to wife's adaptive cruise control on her car...

Where about are you located mate, I was thinking if you could do mine for a fee?
Hi micky, if BFleming isn't able to assist, I can highly recommend Wibbles (he's on this forum). He did mine all remotely (he's actually based in the North, where as I am in Oxfordshire). Send him a PM and I am sure he can sort you out. I fitted the buttons on my wheel (took me about 30 minutes from start, to wheel off, new buttons on, wheel re-fitted), I hadn't done it before, so really was easy. Wibbles then remotely coded it in an evening very quickly remotely. Job done! I've been happily using Cruise Control ever since.

BFleming
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by BFleming » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 am

happy_micky wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Where about are you located mate, I was thinking if you could do mine for a fee?
I'm in Hertfordshire! Happy to help as required.

happy_micky
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:19 am

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by happy_micky » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks for the reply buddy, I will give it a tempt myself and post back! controls on the way now :spotman:

happy_micky
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:19 am

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by happy_micky » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 pm

oxfordshirerob wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:37 pm
happy_micky wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Nice write-up mate...

No cruise control is the only thing that I didn't like about my baby bmw, got every spec I wanted on the car and thought cruise control was standard... and it wasn't...such a pain driving long distance after getting used to wife's adaptive cruise control on her car...

Where about are you located mate, I was thinking if you could do mine for a fee?
Hi micky, if BFleming isn't able to assist, I can highly recommend Wibbles (he's on this forum). He did mine all remotely (he's actually based in the North, where as I am in Oxfordshire). Send him a PM and I am sure he can sort you out. I fitted the buttons on my wheel (took me about 30 minutes from start, to wheel off, new buttons on, wheel re-fitted), I hadn't done it before, so really was easy. Wibbles then remotely coded it in an evening very quickly remotely. Job done! I've been happily using Cruise Control ever since.
Thanks for the recommendation mate! So promising to hear that the physical part isn't that hard to do. I will give it a tempt and see if it didn't work I will ask BFleming/ Wibbles for help!! Will post pics up!

Nice write up again BFleming!

oxfordshirerob
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by oxfordshirerob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 pm

happy_micky wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 pm
oxfordshirerob wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:37 pm
happy_micky wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Nice write-up mate...

No cruise control is the only thing that I didn't like about my baby bmw, got every spec I wanted on the car and thought cruise control was standard... and it wasn't...such a pain driving long distance after getting used to wife's adaptive cruise control on her car...

Where about are you located mate, I was thinking if you could do mine for a fee?
Hi micky, if BFleming isn't able to assist, I can highly recommend Wibbles (he's on this forum). He did mine all remotely (he's actually based in the North, where as I am in Oxfordshire). Send him a PM and I am sure he can sort you out. I fitted the buttons on my wheel (took me about 30 minutes from start, to wheel off, new buttons on, wheel re-fitted), I hadn't done it before, so really was easy. Wibbles then remotely coded it in an evening very quickly remotely. Job done! I've been happily using Cruise Control ever since.
Thanks for the recommendation mate! So promising to hear that the physical part isn't that hard to do. I will give it a tempt and see if it didn't work I will ask BFleming/ Wibbles for help!! Will post pics up!

Nice write up again BFleming!
Hardest part by far was getting the current airbag off, as hadn't done it before, was surprised by how much effort I had to put on the screwdriver to release the clips as went through the back of the steering wheel method........had I seen the link (posted earlier in this thread) for the alternative method, I would probably of gone down that route!

Hope you get it sorted and enjoy the CC.

BFleming
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: F20 Cruise Control fitted

Post by BFleming » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Depending on what year & specification your 1 series is, there are a lot of different button sets available. Just make sure you've ordered the correct ones.

Post Reply

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”