Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

cossied
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: cant fill washer bottle (fixed)

Post by cossied » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi, My low water indication is on but when trying to fill bottle it is as if it is already full ,I know it is slow to fill anyway but this is just not allowing anything down the filler pipe. With such a small hole to fill through I assume there is a breather hole somewhere or is there a filter in the black filler pipe that may be blocked ? Thanks
Last edited by cossied on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cossied
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: cant fill washer bottle

Post by cossied » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Just took off the black plastic inner wing cover that goes around the filler cap and the reason I cant put any more water in is that it is full. I am assuming it is the level sensor that is faulty or become disconnected. The power for the headlight and rear washers must go through the sensor switch.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:40 pm

If the car thinks the bottle is low on fluid, the ECU prevents the rear screen and headlight washers from firing to preserve fluid for the windscreen. It's a safety/visibility feature.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

cossied
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cossied » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Spoke to BMW who topped up the washer bottle last week on a service (could be the cause because the car wasn't using BMW fluid before) and they say there is no sensor for low fluid ? Anybody now how the low fluid warning is activated . Thanks Ed

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:39 am

I was going to say get back to BMW and give them a stern word it must have a sensor if it has a warning light!, also as I knew from when I removed my washer tank on E82 it did have one........however looking on F2x models on realoem they don't have a removable sensor like early cars!

Did some googling which showed that others are saying it has a sensor but its part of tank and not replaceable!, also more worrying apparently sensor can be damaged with certain types of washer fluid due to the way it works....however sometimes refilling with correct fluid can get it working again so I guess you need to run it dry or remove/refill it to see, other than that a new tank will be required to get warning off, rather than just changing a cheap sensor like on earlier cars if same occurred....madness!

Here is an article on it - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f20- ... r/HHl5rJly
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

cossied
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cossied » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks Tyrant for the info.

SSN17
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SSN17 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:38 am

cossied wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:32 pm
Spoke to BMW who topped up the washer bottle last week on a service (could be the cause because the car wasn't using BMW fluid before) and they say there is no sensor for low fluid ? Anybody now how the low fluid warning is activated . Thanks Ed
This is interesting, my car was recently in for a service at the dealers and within the week, I had the low washer fluid warning pop up. I used the fluid twice and with that it brought up the 'fluid low' sign. How much do they actually put in or are they just stingy and leaving it a few mm's above minimum?!

cossied
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cossied » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Fixed now, new water bottle, sensor not a changeable part, new seals, £140 altogether great service from Promotive BMW Newport. Will only use BMW fluid from now on don't think it is much more expensive than Halfords as it is more concentrated.

Menace
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Menace » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:00 am

Good hear there was a satisfactory outcome.

I have a bit of a check list that I try to adhere to pre service - one of which is to fill my own washer bottle to the max. That way they can’t add an alternative fluid.
65 plate F20 M135i / MG / auto / well spec’ed with: Eibach Pro's / F21 tension strut / black grilles, splitter, side blades & diffuser / full de-badge

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:16 am

Another case of a ridiculous overly engineered part that results in more trouble than it's worth.

I've never heard of a car with such issues over using the "wrong" washer fluid or needing to replace the entire unit for a sensor.

It wouldn't be so bad if the functionality far outstripped other cars, but it doesn't wash the screen any differently.

flyboy777
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by flyboy777 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:38 pm

I can’t see the level sensor on realoem.
Even looked up my old F31 touring which defo had a sensor & still couldn’t find it.
2017 M2.
2015 F31 320D.
2007 123D. P-Torque remap.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”