Retrofit front PDC

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

SimonB5

Retrofit front PDC

Post by SimonB5 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Recently picked up our M140 Shadow Edt, which has the rear PDC. Wife is struggling with seating position and seeing all of the front end, so looking to retrofit front PDC. Seen it could be quite expensive to get this integrated with the car screen, so looking at other options. Has anyone fitted a couple of sensors into the blanks that seem to be in the front bumper grilles? Or would it be best going for a full 4 sensor front PDC, and having another couple flush mounted in the bumper too?

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Retrofit front PDC

Post by Thrash » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 am

Pretty sure it's quite cheap and easy to have sensors fitted with just audible beeping and no visual cues, etc.
A few years ago when I got a new VW Scirocco, they fitted some rear sensors to a stock car they had and they worked perfectly fine. No lights or integration with the infotainment system but they beeped when I approached things which was good enough for me.
M140i // Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats

BFleming

Post by BFleming » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 am

I recently bought a F20 1 series without any PDC, so I bought a set of Cobra rear sensors from Ebay. I painted them to match the car, took the bumper off, found the crosshairs moulded to the inside of it, drilled it from the inside with a 2mm bit, then from the outside with (I think) a 21mm bit. Prefitted the sensors to the collars at the appropriate depth (thickness of the bumper plastis), then glued the collars to the inside of the bumper using Araldite. The wiring was probably the easiest bit, and for front sensors it would be even easier, as all you need is a power source, not the reverse light function.
The front bumper will also have crosshairs moulded to the inside of it, telling you where the sensors should be positioned.
I suggest a small switch somewhere to switch the sensors off when not required - if they're powered all the time they'll drive you nuts possibly. Personally I'd get the PDC switch for the centre console & use that somehow!
Hope this helps.

SimonB5

Post by SimonB5 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:39 pm

BFleming wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 am
I recently bought a F20 1 series without any PDC, so I bought a set of Cobra rear sensors from Ebay. I painted them to match the car, took the bumper off, found the crosshairs moulded to the inside of it, drilled it from the inside with a 2mm bit, then from the outside with (I think) a 21mm bit. Prefitted the sensors to the collars at the appropriate depth (thickness of the bumper plastis), then glued the collars to the inside of the bumper using Araldite. The wiring was probably the easiest bit, and for front sensors it would be even easier, as all you need is a power source, not the reverse light function.
The front bumper will also have crosshairs moulded to the inside of it, telling you where the sensors should be positioned.
I suggest a small switch somewhere to switch the sensors off when not required - if they're powered all the time they'll drive you nuts possibly. Personally I'd get the PDC switch for the centre console & use that somehow!
Hope this helps.
Cheers, found some Steelmate and also Cobra ones on ebay for £70-100 so think I'll order one of those kits and look at fitting myself. Anyone know the best place to pick up a switched / permanent live (presume thats all I'll need for front sensors..)

Not sure whether to try wiring back to an OEM PDC switch, or discreetly hide an aftermarket switch somewhere..

BFleming

Post by BFleming » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:57 pm

the fuse box will be your best source for picking up an ignition feed. Try to use an existing grommit in the bulkhead to get the wires through to the front of the car, and route them well away from the exhaust & turbo side of the engine!

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”